805 owners - What amp (aside from Rotel) do you use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

805 owners - What amp (aside from Rotel) do you use?

I'd like to know what kind of amps everyone is using? I have a Marantz 6400 A/V receiver. I was looking for amp to accompany my speakers. I'll be using the Marantz as a pre-amp. I just tried out a Rotel RB-990 and Rotel RB-991. Though both sounded good, but neither was overall good. I feel the 990 had excellent lower range, but sloppy upper range. And the 991 was the complete opposite.

My budget is $1000 new or used for right now. I was considering an older Carver amp or a Marantz MM-9000 and bi-amp it, but I would like to know what everyone else is using (aside from Rotel). I am on a strict budget so absolutely nothing over $1000.

On a last note, I am only using a 2-channel setup. Would you all recommend an amp right now or a sub? I was leaning towards an SVS sub.

Thank you in advance.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • bebo
    • May 2005

Yes, I'm interested also in this item; I went listening for the 705 but fell in love with the 805. I didn't have the opportunity to listen the combination 805/Rotel RA 1070 (i have to return) but did listen the 805 with the Primare I 21 amp. I was impressed, very smooth, clear and overall good performance (especially jazz, classic). The dealer advised me to come back and listen with an Arcam amp also (A80/A90), Arcam and Primare should be better (more dynamic) in comparison with Rotel i'm told..

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I've also been looking at Sunfire amps. I've seen some 2-channel in audiogon for $800, and their Cinema Grand for $1200. So I could probably find one for a grand if I'm lucky. I've never actually heard B&W with Sunfire. I've only heard them with Martin Logans, but they sound so good. Any comments on Sunfire?

Comment

• bcgator
        • Nov 2004

I own the 805 Signatures, after also owning the 805's.

First I tried the Rotel 1075, and was unimpressed. It worked fine, but didn't offer any improvement above the AV receiver I was using. Basically a non-event.

Then tried the big Parasound Halo A51 - a $4000 amp that came highly recommended. I was completely disappointed with that - in my particular space, with my equipment, it was not impressive. At higher volumes, the music completely fell apart and deteriorated. I expected more from a 250 wpc amp, but many other people love them so my experience is just my own.

I gave the upgrade path one more shot, and got lucky. Bought literally the last ATI 1506 left at the factory - it's a 150 wpc 6 channel amp that's bridgeable into 3 channels at 450wpc. As I type this, there's a used 1506 available on Audiogon for $899, with transferable warranty. Since you only need 2 channels, you could also look for a used 1504 which is a 4 channel bridgeable to 2, also at 450 wpc. It absolutely makes the 805 Sigs sing - excellent low end, crystal clear high end, ear-bleed volumes without any degradation of sound. Might be the last amp I buy for many years. I use it for 2-channel and movies, and am very happy with both.

Just my experience, maybe it will help you...

BCGator

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Thanks... I'll have to look into ATI as well.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"