X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Carver amp ?

Ive seen on ebay a few deals on the carver amps.Some would say "magnetic field"others would say "high current"amp.What do these specifications mean.Dont mean to be ignorant i just dont know the differences between these and regular power amps.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

His amp owners manuals give a good description of the magnetic field design. They are supposed to be the closest thing to "tube" sounding in a solid state design. They are high current capable, which means they will drive the most inefficiant speakers with ease. I have owned 3, TFM-25, TFM-35X, and the TFM-15. As someone commented once, they will drive nails. Great for Bose 901's, Infinity Reference 2.5's, these demand ALOT of power. I have since sold mine and moved up (to me) the food chain to Rotel.

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

I think Magnetic Field is merely a term used by Carver to describe the power supply design that was more or less unique to his products at the time.

Perhaps a tech expert will chime in, but I think that the Magnetic Field Carver amps use a type of power supply that keeps the rail voltages just slightly above the voltage required at any given level (within the amps capabilities, of course) to reproduce the audio signal. The concept is to minimize voltage drop across the output devices in order to reduce the heat generated and also to minimize the need for brute force power supplies compared to conventional designs.

Not exactly sure if they are the same, but I think similar, the newer Carver amps use the term Tracking Downconverter instead of Magnetic Field.

Again, if I mucked it up too badly, I hope someone will clear it up for the both of us.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"