X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Upgrade / Tweek

Ok, I have sort of an upgrade/tweek to mention. I have been kind of watching out for an inexpensive matching Rotel 2 channel amp to go with my 5 channel one to either add a couple rear channel speakers for 7.1 or what I told my wife was for the basement. I finally came across a RMB-1050 on the cheap in silver so I jumped.

Well the wife was away this past weakened so I decided to play around a bit. Now please understand that my sofa is against the rear wall and she has vetoed cutting any holes in anything that in any way has anything to do with HT. She has made this very clear so do not get me divorced with temptation.

Ok, so now you know why I did what I did. I ran the wire and laid two of my old smaller Boston CR-5’s on the floor behind the coach. In addition, I had no way to put a shelf into the small cabinet that houses my 5 channel amp so used two 2x4’s on their sides and set my 2 channel amp on top of the 2x4’s that way my amps aren’t right on top of one another and can breath.

Since I added this rear channel I decided that I also needed to recalibrate my delay settings. This is what I ended up with, tell me what you think. My initial delay on the surrounds was 15ms and I changed that to 10ms and made the new channel 15ms thereby adding a bit of delay and added dimension between my rear channels, I thought this would be especially useful since I have a fairly small room and any added depth would be a bonus.

After all was said and done I had to recalibrate the system as the new channel was not as loud for some reason….. anyway, I have only demoed a couple of movies that are DTS ES 6.1 encoded, LOTR and Butterfly Effect. I could tell that there was more depth on both movies right from the very beginning, but I especially notice it when there is a scene that has back ground talking such as in the first LOTR when the Hobbits are at that bar waiting on Gandolph. The extra channels really add a great deal of depth to those scenes. I already enjoy it more than not having it at all.

I can guarantee that if the future ever holds a dedicated HT room for me it will be 7.1 all the way.

Just thought I’d share.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"