X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave5210
    • Feb 2005

Purchasing HT Amp

Hi all...I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while and would like to have your imput on my new project. My old system was Adcom GFA 555, with a Rotel CD and Paradigm 7se. They all prefromed great for many years but it's time to upgrade to 7.1. I'm starting with the Amp purchase and have listed a few that are in my zone for you to advise on. I'll list my speaker choices and my initial thoughts on a new processor. Hopefully I can narow it down a bit and find a place to demo a few. Thanks alot for your help! _ Dave

B&K Reference 125.7 S2
    Outlaw 770 200w
    Adcom GFA-7607 125w
    NAD T973 140w
    ATI AT1807 180w
    Anthem PVA 105w

Speakers
    Paradigm Center CC-370
    Paradigm Bookshelfs ADP-370
    Paradigm Rear ceiling GS-60R
    Paradigm Sub-woofer PS-120
    B&W DM602 series 2 Mains

Processor
    Rotel RSP-1068 or B&K Reference 50
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Any reason the Rotel RMB 1075 isn't on your list?

Comment

• Dave5210
      • Feb 2005

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was only a five channel amp. I don't know much about Rotel, but from what little I've read about them and picked up from here, they're really good. My CD player I purchased many years ago is still kickin' and it's the only piece that I still own that I'm going to keep. Will it work with the speakers I'm going to purchase?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ah yes sorry I hadn't realized you were after 7 channel amps. To go with Rotel amps you'd either have to get both the 1075 and 1070 or wait till their digital amps come out as the RMB-1077 will be a 7 channel design

Comment

• Dave5210
          • Feb 2005

Thanks Andrew,
          That 7 channel Rotel sounds like it might be worth waiting for. Any idea when it will be available and how much it will cost? Would you cross any of the other options off the list?

Comment

• Dave5210
            • Feb 2005

Does anyone have any comments on the 7-channel amps listed above? I'm miles from any store that carries these and would like some opinions from anyone who might own any of these models. I'm looking for good quality for the money and sound construction. Thanks!

Comment

• hidefdvd
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dave5210
              Hi all...I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while and would like to have your imput on my new project. My old system was Adcom GFA 555, with a Rotel CD and Paradigm 7se. They all prefromed great for many years but it's time to upgrade to 7.1. I'm starting with the Amp purchase and have listed a few that are in my zone for you to advise on. I'll list my speaker choices and my initial thoughts on a new processor. Hopefully I can narow it down a bit and find a place to demo a few. Thanks alot for your help! _ Dave

B&K Reference 125.7 S2
              Outlaw 770 200w
              Adcom GFA-7607 125w
              NAD T973 140w
              ATI AT1807 180w
              Anthem PVA 105w

Speakers
              Paradigm Center CC-370
              Paradigm Bookshelfs ADP-370
              Paradigm Rear ceiling GS-60R
              Paradigm Sub-woofer PS-120
              B&W DM602 series 2 Mains

Processor
              Rotel RSP-1068 or B&K Reference 50
              Are the speakers your looking at new speakers you want to get or have gotten? Why are you mixing two different lines, especially along the front sound stage. Stick within the same product line to keep everything timbre matched. Which brings me to my recommendation. Spend a more on the speakers, maybe looking at moving your selections upto the Studio line. I think a setup of Studio 40/ADP470/20/Sub?? will last you longer and get more benefit from a dedicated sub. You could save some money on the processing side by looking at getting a receiver such as the Pioneer 56TXi, which has the processing power and features(Dual Motorola, I-Link, etc) Then you could look into 5 channel amps and allow the Pioneer to power the remaining 2 channels. A great 5 channel amp is the NAD S250, which can be had for $849 from www.saturdayaudio.com. Though it is a refurb it does come with a 1yr warranty.

Comment

• Jeff
                • Dec 2004

Dave, based upon the our Rotel threds, the digital amp may start coming to dealers at the end of the second quarter or early in the third. I'm waiting for those amps myself.

Comment

• Dave5210
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by hidefdvd
                  Are the speakers your looking at new speakers you want to get or have gotten? Why are you mixing two different lines, especially along the front sound stage. Stick within the same product line to keep everything timbre matched. Which brings me to my recommendation. Spend a more on the speakers, maybe looking at moving your selections upto the Studio line. I think a setup of Studio 40/ADP470/20/Sub?? will last you longer and get more benefit from a dedicated sub. You could save some money on the processing side by looking at getting a receiver such as the Pioneer 56TXi, which has the processing power and features(Dual Motorola, I-Link, etc) Then you could look into 5 channel amps and allow the Pioneer to power the remaining 2 channels. A great 5 channel amp is the NAD S250, which can be had for $849 from www.saturdayaudio.com. Though it is a refurb it does come with a 1yr warranty.
                  Thanks for the advice! I went to the Paradigm site and I think I agree with you on speaker selection. Upgrading to the Studio 40's will solve a couple problems, but I had already purchased the CC-370 center unit. Do you think it would be OK to feature the 40's and fill the rest with the Monitor series? (ADP-370 etc.)

Comment

• TimRawson
                    • Oct 2004

I'd consider a Sherbourn 7 channel and definetly the 1068 over the B&K. My brief experience with rotel was strong detailed midrange and and had a Sherbourn that extended deep and had good highs. I think they make a great combo.

Comment

• hidefdvd
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dave5210
                      Thanks for the advice! I went to the Paradigm site and I think I agree with you on speaker selection. Upgrading to the Studio 40's will solve a couple problems, but I had already purchased the CC-370 center unit. Do you think it would be OK to feature the 40's and fill the rest with the Monitor series? (ADP-370 etc.)
                      Honestly no, but atleast you would be sticking within the same company. How long ago did you get the CC-370 and did you get it new from a dealer? If yes and less than 30days ago see if your dealer will allow you to trade it in for a CC470. You want to atleast keep the front soundstage the same. The surrounds could be in the monitor line.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"