X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turbo_sr
    • Feb 2005

adcom with paradigm mini monitors

I am New here.

I would like to get some advice on the adition of an outboard amp to my current system for two channel audio. I have a denon AVR 1905 and paradigm speakers. the main speakers are paradigm mini monitors. I was thinking of getting a used two channel amp but I am a student and have little money. I am also from canada so i've been looking at the cunuck audio mart and found an adcom gfa 555 for 500 canadian. Would this be a good idea or should I wait for and keep looking.

THanks in advance for any help.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you get the Adcom, the Denon and your Paradigm speakers will be the weak link in the system IMO.
    Jason

Comment

• raider
      • Dec 2004

Adcom

turbo_sr;If its the mk II version of the gfa555 its not a bad price. :T
      I own two of those amps and running vertical biamping with real good results.
      I agree with aud19 as it will lead to more upgraditus :T
      It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Turbo_sr
        • Feb 2005

So the denon wouldn't work well as a pre/pro.

Comment

• raider
          • Dec 2004

It will work ok with what you have providing the denon has preamp outputs for the channels you intend to use to feed the adcom(i'm assuming your using the adcom for the mains)
          It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Turbo_sr
            • Feb 2005

The denon does have preamp outputs and yes i was going to use it for my front L/R.
            It doesn't sound like you think the mini monitors will benefit from the amp upgrade.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Any speaker will have an improvement with better amplification. It just won't be as noticeable as on a pair of $2000 speakers for example.

The old adage the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link comes to mind
              Jason

Comment

• raider
                • Dec 2004

hence the upgraditus!!!!better amp,better speakers,better pre/pro(1098) etc.....
                It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yup pretty much You'll hear the improvement that amp makes with your existing speakers and you'll start to wonder how much better it will sound with better speakers too. Then you'll ponder getting more and/or better amps, then a dedicated pre/pro :lol: Then you'll wonder if your sources are giving those components the best possible information... So you get a new DVD player and an outboard DAC. As your about to whip your credit card out for those you realize you're going to need better interconnects to translate all this information from your new DVD player to the pre/pro and from the pre/pro to the amp...

See what we mean..? :lol:
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"