X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

Cutting down my system

Hi guys.... I am a total stranger here again for moving here and there for the past year

Anyway I finally moved to NYC and settling down here, good news is it's NYC here! Bad news is I have to cut down my system from moving suburb to the city

My current setup is Klipsch RF3II/RB 5II/RC-3II with SVS PB12/2(this thing is a beast!). The receiver that I am using is panny's XR-55.

I do plan to sell the Klipsch towers and SVS PB12/2 as they are taking up too much space in my place.

Replacements are needed though (upgrades :twisted: ) I looked into sunfire super junior or true subwoofer EQ for their size for the Sub. I looked into Velodyne but they seem not as attractive as sunfire for the same price range(Velodyne seems more attractive to me for lower end product for their value)
    As for speakers I have no idea what should I get. I am looking for smaller sized with similar quality for around $800 or so. I may need to move them every year or so..... fragile speakers are out of equation(lease is only a year).

Any input would be greatly appreciated :T
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Hey Vince,

I recently down-sized, and traded in my B&W ASW-850 Sub (15" woofer) for a Velodyne MiniVee (8"). So far I'm very happy with it. I considered the SPL-R series as well, which is essentially the same thing, but upgrades the finish and provides additional convenience features like a remote and equilization functions for a couple hundred more. Since mine is fairly well hidden, I wasn't too concerned about looks, and with Audyssey calibration in my receiver, I didn't need the convenience features either.

I did see a very good deal recently for the SPL-R series at AudioAdvisor.com if you're interested in those.
    Brad

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I agree with Blindamood. FYI, the SPL-R series (I own) is essentially the same thing as the MiniVee. It does have remote, EQ functions, and an auto room-measurement tool (and works!).

I have the SPL-800R matched with my B&W 805's. I love the way they sound together.

For $800, I would recommend the B&W 600 series... but doesn't matter what you get, it's still going to take up the same footprint on the floor. You can get a 600 floor-standing speaker, which will take up just about the same space as the RF3II (great speakers!), or if you buy bookshelf speakers + stands... it'll still use the same amount of space.

What kind of music do you listen to? (I can assume since you're a Klipsch owner, but I don't want to assume)
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Oh, is the sub more important to you for music or movies?

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

If you like the Klipsch stay with the brand. They have some nice book shelf speakers.
          Greg

Comment

• Vinny
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
            Hey Vince,

I recently down-sized, and traded in my B&W ASW-850 Sub (15" woofer) for a Velodyne MiniVee (8"). So far I'm very happy with it. I considered the SPL-R series as well, which is essentially the same thing, but upgrades the finish and provides additional convenience features like a remote and equilization functions for a couple hundred more. Since mine is fairly well hidden, I wasn't too concerned about looks, and with Audyssey calibration in my receiver, I didn't need the convenience features either.

I did see a very good deal recently for the SPL-R series at AudioAdvisor.com if you're interested in those.
            Thanks for the info about the SPL-R on audioadvisor! The price seems really attractive, I will probably take this price over sunfire super junior instead(1299 for SPL-R retail is pretty steep... I could go for sunfire true sub for that, but 50% off is just great) There is no auto calibration on my receiver which would be a bonus for me too :T

I will do some more research on it and have to sell my SVS first too :P

Thanks
            Pioneer KRP-500M
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Parasound 5125
            Oppo BDP-83
            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
              I agree with Blindamood. FYI, the SPL-R series (I own) is essentially the same thing as the MiniVee. It does have remote, EQ functions, and an auto room-measurement tool (and works!).

I have the SPL-800R matched with my B&W 805's. I love the way they sound together.

For $800, I would recommend the B&W 600 series... but doesn't matter what you get, it's still going to take up the same footprint on the floor. You can get a 600 floor-standing speaker, which will take up just about the same space as the RF3II (great speakers!), or if you buy bookshelf speakers + stands... it'll still use the same amount of space.

What kind of music do you listen to? (I can assume since you're a Klipsch owner, but I don't want to assume)
              Yea I guess I should stick with the SPL-800R for now, I would go after it once I found the new owner for my baby SVS

The RF 3IIs are actually 15" deep or so..... with the breathing room it's almost taking up almost 2feet on each side of the room. And my room is only 12feet or so(yea it's tiny here).

Hmm perhaps I should take it down to 2.1 instead.......

I was used to be a movie freak and watching movies all day long(3 from netflix, buy in stores/online and rent more in blockbuster!). But life gets busy and I can only get to listen to music from time to time now. I guess accuracy would be more important factor to me than bangs.... as I leave them around 70-85db listening level for most of the time.

Actually I listen to any musics depends on what mood I am in, I could go for classical or clubbing music in the same day. With the albums I have got they are mainly Sarah McLachlan and Norah Jones(I guess I am big fan of ladies' beautiful voices), and I have been getting random music as my friends bring them over. I am just pretty random i guess :B

Thanks again for the input :T :T
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Vinny
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                If you like the Klipsch stay with the brand. They have some nice book shelf speakers.
                Klipsch are pretty easy to drive so which was good for me, and the gears I have were within $500 per pair which were in decent price and I just took them in.
                I was going to try B&W too and I heard Martin Logan once in an audio installation shop while driving around before..... it just entrapped my attention and I know what I will get in my ultimate setup. Unfortunately I cannot have them now as I will probably break them while moving next year. :roll:

One thing I don't really like for Klipsch is they are mainly two way speakers that need breathing room in the back. I know most speakers have them but it gets annoying and complains for not using up the space of the room from time to time.
                Pioneer KRP-500M
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Parasound 5125
                Oppo BDP-83
                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Vinny
                  I guess I am big fan of ladies' beautiful voices
                  With that said, I would definitely recommend B&W. I actually went from Klipsch RF-3 II to B&W 600 S3 with ASW600 sub. Though I loved the way male voices and horns sounded with the Klipsch, female voices were my end-all. I truly enjoyed the Klipsch, but I was not satisfied with female voices (Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Miwa Yoshida, Faye Wong, and more). The highs from the B&W 600 S3 were just so much smoother to me. I really enjoyed it.

I don't really recall how deep the RF-3 II's are. I don't think B&W's towers are that deep though. That is, if you decide to go for floorstanding speakers. If you buy bookshelf speakers, you will not be disappointed with blending in the Velodyne sub. Very musical (main reason I bought it).

BTW, where in NYC? I grew up there, East Bronx.

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Klipsch are pretty easy to drive so which was good for me, and the gears I have were within $500 per pair which were in decent price and I just took them in.
                    I was going to try B&W too and I heard Martin Logan once in an audio installation shop while driving around before..... it just entrapped my attention and I know what I will get in my ultimate setup. Unfortunately I cannot have them now as I will probably break them while moving next year. :roll:

One thing I don't really like for Klipsch is they are mainly two way speakers that need breathing room in the back. I know most speakers have them but it gets annoying and complains for not using up the space of the room from time to time.

ML's are awesome! I owned the AeonI! for a while. There are lots of places to listen in NYC. Are you in Manhattan?
                    Greg

Comment

• Vinny
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                      With that said, I would definitely recommend B&W. I actually went from Klipsch RF-3 II to B&W 600 S3 with ASW600 sub. Though I loved the way male voices and horns sounded with the Klipsch, female voices were my end-all. I truly enjoyed the Klipsch, but I was not satisfied with female voices (Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Miwa Yoshida, Faye Wong, and more). The highs from the B&W 600 S3 were just so much smoother to me. I really enjoyed it.

I don't really recall how deep the RF-3 II's are. I don't think B&W's towers are that deep though. That is, if you decide to go for floorstanding speakers. If you buy bookshelf speakers, you will not be disappointed with blending in the Velodyne sub. Very musical (main reason I bought it).

BTW, where in NYC? I grew up there, East Bronx.
                      Hmm I looked at B&W's bookshelves and floorstanders, they are 2-3" lesser than the RF3IIs, it would be good upgrade($$$$ too). I guess they would be after velodyne's change, B&W are big investments for me ops:

Now I live in downtown near East Village, tiny tiny place and my addiction to audio speakers did not shrink with the size of my place.
                      Pioneer KRP-500M
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Parasound 5125
                      Oppo BDP-83
                      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Vinny
                        • Mar 2006

ML's are awesome! I owned the AeonI! for a while. There are lots of places to listen in NYC. Are you in Manhattan?
                        Woooooo Aeon, could not afford it while I had the space. Yea I am in Manhattan
                        Pioneer KRP-500M
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Parasound 5125
                        Oppo BDP-83
                        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Woooooo Aeon, could not afford it while I had the space. Yea I am in Manhattan
                          You have lots of place to listen in Manhattan. for a good audition of the B&W speakers check out Innovative Audio. They are friendly and will actually setup the speakers you want to hear as appose to having them hooked up to a switch box and crammed against a wall. Not too many shops do that with the lower end models.
                          Greg

Comment

• Vinny
                            • Mar 2006

You have lots of place to listen in Manhattan. for a good audition of the B&W speakers check out Innovative Audio. They are friendly and will actually setup the speakers you want to hear as appose to having them hooked up to a switch box and crammed against a wall. Not too many shops do that with the lower end models.
                            Ohh thanks for the info, it's really close to me that I could literally walk up there in 20mins 8)
                            Pioneer KRP-500M
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Parasound 5125
                            Oppo BDP-83
                            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"