X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave shepard
    • Feb 2005

803's are haunting me

Little over a year ago I heard the 803's for the first time and ever since I can't seem to get their sound out of my head. I keep compairing them to my current Polks I use for HT. There were only 2 running for a demo for another customer and above all the other speakers playing they stood out as though they were the only ones on, the sound just inveloped me for the short time they were on. I am now looking at getting a pair of those for 2-channel or swapping out my 7 channel HT Polks for B&W. If I were to get a pair of 803's and then deside to go full 7-ch HT which others would properly fill the room besides another set for the rear. My room is 19x25x9 I'm using a SVS pb12 sub, Denon 3803 (as a pre) and a Sherbourn 7-2100a amp. Another salesmen from another store offered to sell me a pair of Dali Helicon 400's (retail $4500) for $3200 and said that they sound as good if not better then B&W and offered a satisfaction or money back. But I couldn't do an A-B with the B&W in house unless I bought both and I don't know if the B&W store would let me test in home first and I really would hate to ask.

Thanks

Dave
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Hey, if you can afford it,
    for cinema: 2x 803s, htm3s, 2x 804s or 2x 805s, 2x ds8s
    for mch music: 3x 803s, 2x 804s (or 5x 803s)

Not sure what the limiting factor is from your post...

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I say:
      2x 803s, htm3s, 4x SCMs
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• classefan
        • Sep 2005

Dave,

It is no comparison. Prior to getting my B&Ws, I also was using Polks in my 5.1 Theater. I upgraded to 2 803s, HTM3, 2 SCMS and it is no comparison. Just do not listen to the higher line. For me, the 802D haunts me. Plan to upgrade the 803s before the trade in expires.

Comment

• StefanColson
          • Jun 2005

Most GOOD hi-fi shops will let you test something out at home as long as you leave them credit card info. Test both out if you can, maybe you'll like the Helicons even better than the B&Ws.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
            I say:
            2x 803s, htm3s, 4x SCMs
            Ditto
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by classefan
              I upgraded to 2 803s, HTM3, 2 SCMS and it is no comparison. Just do not listen to the higher line. For me, the 802D haunts me.
              I've got the same system plus the ASW-825 subwoofer.

I was drawn in by the temptation to listen to the 802D's. As sweet sounding as they were (are) they don't haunt me. I love my 803S's, but now I have a pretty good idea what to plan for when upgrade time comes around!

Comment

• dave shepard
                • Feb 2005

I forgot to mention that the Dali's were from a dealer 3 states away and they would have to be shipped so I am now not even going to coincider them as a viable purchase mostly because I loved what I heard with the B&W's and they were offered when I was asking about a Rotel pre-pro. I have looked at betting a used set of 803's (bought in 2002) and was told that the sound wouldn't match the new ones built this year because they changed the crossovers, is that true? or is he trying to steer me from buying used?
                I was looking at buying used over new because if I boought new I would have to buy one pair at a time given the expence but I was hoping to get used cheeper and would be able to complete it faster but don't want a mixed-up timber match.

Thanks
                Dave

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dave shepard
                  I have looked at betting a used set of 803's (bought in 2002) and was told that the sound wouldn't match the new ones built this year because they changed the crossovers, is that true? or is he trying to steer me from buying used?
                  It is true. Time coherence of the new series has been significantly improved as a result of the new 1st order crossovers. The older series used 3rd order crossover networks. The drivers have also undergone big changes which effect timbre' balance and response.
                  Last edited by RebelMan; 14 September 2005, 21:04 Wednesday.

Comment

• dave shepard
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    It is true. Time coherence of the new series has been significantly improved as a result of the new 1st order crossovers. The older series used 3rd order crossover networks. The drivers have also under gone big changes which effect timbre' balance and response.
                    Dam.... that is what he said (almost word for word) so I guess I will have to look at getting them a pair at a time. Does B&W make changes like that often?

Thanks
                    Dave

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

B&W is pretty conservative with their product refresh cycles, usually taking about 5+ years between major updates. The Nautilus 800 series was introduced in 1998 and wasn't significantly changed until this year. About three years ago, they introduced a new Signature line (now discontinued) that slightly improved upon the original Nautilus series by utilizing improved tweeters and richer cosmetics.

Comment

• classefan
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        I've got the same system plus the ASW-825 subwoofer.

I was drawn in by the temptation to listen to the 802D's. As sweet sounding as they were (are) they don't haunt me. I love my 803S's, but now I have a pretty good idea what to plan for when upgrade time comes around!
                        I went with a Velodyne Digital Drive 12.

I almost went straight to the 802D, but decided need to train the ears first after years of lesser equipment. But, before the upgrade expires, those babies will be mine. :T

Comment

• dave shepard
                          • Feb 2005

Thank you for the advice and info. I have a vacation comming up this comming week and will be going to the dealer to do somemore listening and drooling. Hopefully because I will know what I'm looking at I will be alittle more focused, the first time I was in there I just stopped to see what they had (BIG MISTAKE...) they had everything I wanted and nothing I could afford :E . Nothing alittle time can't fix though.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"