X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

anthem MAC-5 or rotel rmb-985 amp for HT/music

I have a Rotel RSX-1056 mated w/B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. A local dealer has two used amps for sale:

Amthem MCA-5 $859 USD
    Rotel RMB-985 $589 USD

Can anyone tell me wheter either would be step-up sonically, using the Rotel 1056 as a pre/pro? How good are these prices?
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by stantheman2
    I have a Rotel RSX-1056 mated w/B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. A local dealer has two used amps for sale:

Amthem MCA-5 $859 USD
    Rotel RMB-985 $589 USD

Can anyone tell me wheter either would be step-up sonically, using the Rotel 1056 as a pre/pro? How good are these prices?
    I would say that both would be a step up over the amplification built into the Rotel RSX-1056, I own a Rotel RMB-1075 which I think is similar to the older RMB-985 and I found it to be quite a bit better than my older Yamaha RX-V3000 AV receiver.

As the amps are secondhand, why no ask the dealer if you could borrow both to compare at home with your AV receiver. Can't comment on pricing, however being secondhand it shouldn't be costing you anymore than 25 to 50% of the original retail price. The price from a dealer will generally be higher as he will probably have to offer you some form of limited warranty. If your adding an amp mainly for better 2ch performance then buy a better quality 2ch amp, if however the main reason is for HT then the 5/7ch is the answer.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

As far as pricing I quite often see the RMB-985 mkII go for $450- 500 usd. I see the mkI go for 375-425. Being used I would try to get them to do better on the Rotel price if that is the way you go.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"