X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

Rotel or B&K 7250

Question from someone having difficult time with amp upgrade decision. New to this forum, but over the last few weeks I've been impressed with some of the questions and answers posted here. Currently running five year old Integra 7.1 receiver with PSB Strat Silvers front, Mini's rear, Denon 2900. When I started this quest, had about $4000 in mind for an amp and processor ($2000 each+/-), wanted 200w/ch. Can't afford everything all at once, so I'm planning on getting the amp now, then this time next year, getting a new pre/pro. Local availability limits my choices to B&K, Rotel and Anthem. One problem - neither Rotel dealer in the area has a 1095 demo unit, meaning I had to audition the 1075. Currently B&K 200.5 is still selling for about $2400, so price wise, its Anthem MCA 50 or Rotel 1095 (both between $1800-$1900 out the door). I've seen a number of listings for B&K 7250's on the internet, probably obtainable in the $1100-$1200 range. Not having an opportunity to listen to the 7250, any current owners out there that came give some insight? Is it basically the same as the 200.5 minus the level controls? I've read through some of the postings here, and its seems people love the sound of B&K, but they also say B&K products tend to be "problematic." Was the 7250 problematic? If I back off on the $'s, then the choice is between a Rotel 1075 and a used B&K 7250. Any thoughts on that? That would save me a substantial amount of money, any may allow for an Anthem AVM30, Rotel 1098 or Ref 50 (if they get rid of the clicks, pops and audio drop outs) down the road. Thanks for any responses.
    Last edited by rdram; 23 March 2005, 09:28 Wednesday.
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Both Rotel and B&K make killer sounding gear. There amps are excellent. This will have to come down to personal preference.

I will give you an example what I feel is key.....

Rotel sounds really good driving B&W speakers. I feel B&K does a better job.

B&K sounds excellent running Dynaudio speakers. But Rotel seems to mate better and sound a bit better to me.

Rotel and B&K drive the Polk Lsi series speakers very well. As the top 2 you have to decide which sounds better to you.

I have owned both B&K and Rotel. I perfer one or the other depending on what speakers I own at the time.

Dan

Comment

• rdram
      • Mar 2005

Thanks Dan. Your right, speaker/amp interaction does differ. From store to store, its near impossible to tell. I go to store A and listen to B & K with Martin Logans, store B, room 1 for Anthem & Maggies, room 2 for Rotel & B&W. I think what I'm really auditioning are speakers. So, rather than bring my speakers with me, the dealer let me take a Rotel 1075 home for the weekend. Wow, what a difference running a separate amp makes! Next Saturday I take the Anthem home. Best way to decide I guess.

Rich

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Rich,
        very cool. It would even be better if the dealer would allow you to take the B&K and Rotel home at the same time and try em.The you will have a better understanding on which amp is right for you.

Whatever you decided to get, there both are great amps,

Dan

Comment

• rdram
          • Mar 2005

One local audio store carries both Anthem & Rotel. They're closed Sunday and Monday, so as long as I get amp back to them by Tues AM, they're ok with taking stuff home. The only local B&K dealer is Tweeter. Being open 7 days a week, don't think they'd part with the amp for a few days....but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Rich

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

Rich,
            What decision did you make in the end? Were you happy with that decision? I am in the same boat right now.

Thanks!
            Bryan
            Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Tweeter doesn't carry B&K anymore. I'd like to know about your findings as well.

Dan

Comment

• ColoKurt
                • Mar 2005

I've been using a B&K 7250 for three years now. No problems. Lots of enjoyment!

Comment

• majorloser
                  • Jun 2006

B&K

I own a B&K Reference 30 (upgraded to Ref 31) and a 7270 amp. I had one minor problem with the amp which B&K serviced quickly.

I bought them from Sound Advice (owned by Tweeters). They gave me lousy service And I believe they were the reason I had the problem with the amp in the first place.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by majorloser
                    I own a B&K Reference 30 (upgraded to Ref 31) and a 7270 amp. I had one minor problem with the amp which B&K serviced quickly.

I bought them from Sound Advice (owned by Tweeters). They gave me lousy service And I believe they were the reason I had the problem with the amp in the first place.
                    Did you buy the amp used? How did they cause the problem?

Dan

Comment

• zzvelik
                      • Jul 2006

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Found this forum while searching for comparisons between B&K and Rotel.

I know this is not the right place to post, but I don't understand why I can only view 2 threads under the B&K club. Is there some nomination process to be able to view the other threads?

In any case, here is my question I thought I'd place on a more proper thread. My interest in B&K started from searching for a new amp or receiver for my NHT 2.5i speakers. I currently own an Onkyo Integra integrated amp (85 W/Channel) and it's high time for an upgrade. I'm not sure if a B&K/NHT combination would be good, but I recently listened to a B&K AVR-507 at Magnolia Audio which was hooked up to some electrostatic speakers (Didn't get the name since I parked at a meter and was in a hurry). The B&K sounded real nice with those speakers. I had also visited another store and was told that the NHTs would sound real nice with a Rotel receiver and they advised me to bring my speakers in for a test drive (not an easy feat I must say). Having waited all these years for an upgrade, I would think it's better to go for the higher power... you never know when you might need it. Right now I see the used B&K AVR-305/307s selling for around $1000 on Audiogon, Videogon, and Ebay. I mostly listed to 2-channel audio and was wondering if any of you had good suggestions for my setup?

Thanks

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

I think the used B&K AVR507 would work very well. It's powerful and has plenty of current to drive those speakers well.

B&K is very neutral and basically goes with just about all speakers that it can drive. Rotel may sound alittle different and here is where personal taste comes to play. I have owned both Rotel and B&K products and perfer certain speakers with them.

Good luck with what you decide. Really can't go wrong with them

Dan

Comment

• zzvelik
                          • Jul 2006

Hi Dan,

First of all, thanks for the prompt response (sure helps when I'm contemplating on placing a bid on Ebay). I've read many message boards as of late and gotten familiar with the various features that I should be looking for and have learned about some new brands that I hadn't heard of before. I was leaning towards the a used B&K AVR-307 (not the 507) after all my research, but a local delear was trying to swing me towards a demo Rotel which he could give at a good discount. My search for Rotel on the message boards introduced me to Arcam's AVR300 which I have yet to listen to. Seems like that model has a cult following on the message boards. I'd love to be able to compare the B&K, Rotel, and Arcam when hooked up to the same components... but I don't think that's possible since not all dealers nearby carry all 3 brands, let alone the NHT speakers.

Listening to the B&K at the Magnolia Audio Video store the other day made me want to lean towards that receiver. However, there seems to be some reliability and humming issues according to some owners on the AudioReview site and it seems like B&K doesn't have the best customer service to address such issues. I should also take in to account the fact that B&K's warranty is not transferable and even if it was, it's most likely that AVR-307's surpass the warranty period of 5 years. So all of these factors are making me more confused!

Have any of you on this thread compared the B&K to the Arcam receiver? Is it possible to biamp the B&K receiver as can be done on the Arcam? Even if you leaned towards the Arcam at one time, did you choose the B&K because of the extra power capabilities?

Thank again for the help,

Z

Comment

• RenoReno2
                            • Jan 2005

As far as B&K customer service I have to disagree with the negative comments you've been hearing/reading. I believe the humming issues that you've been reading up on are with the series 1. I've had my ref 50 s2 for a year and a half now and I've yet to have any of those issues.

Comment

• J.H.
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RenoReno2
                              As far as B&K customer service I have to disagree with the negative comments you've been hearing/reading. I believe the humming issues that you've been reading up on are with the series 1. I've had my ref 50 s2 for a year and a half now and I've yet to have any of those issues.
                              I agree with that. It seems to be the Series1 because I have the Ref50 S2 and silent no humming just great sound.

Comment

• zzvelik
                                • Jul 2006

I was wondering what the difference was between the Series 1 & 2. Good to know that the Series 2 has no humming issues.

I called B&K the other day and asked about bi-amping their receivers and they didn't recommend it. I told them I wasn't concerned about the warranty issues, but they stated that they still wouldn't recommened it for various reasons (can't remember all the tech stuff). So I was wondering if any of you have tried it & if so, have you experienced any problems associated with it?

By the way, I still didn't get a response from anyone in regards to the number of threads I see on the B&K forum. I'm seeing 3 today as opposed to the 2 the past few days. Before I enter this club, it states that there should be 168 forums... any reason why I only see 3? I'm I too new of a member to access the rest of the boards???

Comment

• comeup
                                  • Jul 2005

I believe the biggest difference between the series 1 and 2 is the notch filters. I have a series 1 that has only one notch filter and the series 2 has three for filtering out bad lows or bass. I don't get any clicking. I have read that some have had issues with clicking and it could be cleared with a B&K upgrade.

P.S. 500$ for the upgrade to bring to a series 2
                                  Blake

Comment

• Charles
                                    • Jul 2006

I have a series 1 AVR-507 with no hum, very quiet! I do have the popping when making changes with remote, not that bothersome though. I am pushing B&W 803s's with this reciever and it seems great although some suggest I need more power which I am researching now. May grab a 200.7 using the reciever of the AVR, then see what the next generation of the ref 50 is (rumor says this fall).

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

The S2 also offers Transcoding (one video out for all video souces regardless of connection type). The Series 2 also dropped THX. I was told by a tech at B&K, They dropped THX because it would overide (when used) notch filter settings, as well as, any other EQ settings. Thus, the S2 with B&K's own cinema settings, will keep all notch and eq settings intact.
                                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dmantis
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
                                        The S2 also offers Transcoding (one video out for all video souces regardless of connection type). The Series 2 also dropped THX. I was told by a tech at B&K, They dropped THX because it would overide (when used) notch filter settings, as well as, any other EQ settings. Thus, the S2 with B&K's own cinema settings, will keep all notch and eq settings intact.
                                        WOW I didn't know that. We don't carry B&K(such a damn shame 2) so I'm not current on B&K anymore. I wonder when they will come out with a new series? I'd like to see the next generation of there preamps/receivers

Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Yes, so would I. But, B&K seems to be one of the last to step up to the plate with the release of next gen items.
                                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"