X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mukaudio
    • Oct 2005

Rotel / Anthem / Outlaw for amp

I'm currently using a Marantz 5400 AVR to drive Paradigm Studio 100 fronts and CC-570 center. I've had the Marantz since I started this expensive hobby with a pair of Mini-Monitors. Now that I'm up to the big boys, I feel like I need some more power.

My dealer has recommended both Rotel and Anthem. Budget-wise I could probably stomach an RMB-1095, MCA-50, or A5.

I wish I knew more about amps so I could really know what is a good design feature and what is just marketing b.s. It's hard to distinguish between Rotel and Anthem, other than it would seem that Anthem would be a better match for Paradigm, and Anthem's no-fuse design seems superior than having to replace blown fuses.

Then there's Outlaw Audio. I've heard good things about them, but I don't know how good they are. I'm willing to pay the price premium for Rotel and Anthem if they really are better. Value is a good thing (hence my Paradigm speakers), but I'm looking for an amp I can be happy with for 10 years or so.

Oh, i should also say that even though we're talking 5 channel amps here, I'm about 75% stereo / 25% multi-channel, so it's very important to me that I find an amp that doesn't compromise my 2 channel listening experience.

Thanks,

Mark.
    Mark
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

There are many on this forum much more knowledgable than I, so I can only relate personal experiences I had shopping for an amp this past spring. I was running an Integra DTR 7.1 and decided, like you, that it was time for some more power. I spent a weekend with a Rotel 1075 and a weekend with an Anthem MCA 50. I bought the 1075, but then decided within the trade up period to go with a 1095. I've had the 1095 for about 7 months now, and couldn't be happier. IMO, within the price range, you won't find a better amp.

As far as the weekend auditions...I can only relate opinions based on listening to the amps with my speakers in my particular listening room with my source material. Opinions, personal tastes vary widely, so the best thing you can do is to ask your dealer for a weekend with each amp, hooked to your Paradigms, in your room. Then decide. I did 50% of my auditioning in two channel mode, then probably 25%-25% multichannel music / movies. I put together my system with an emphasis on music, and as such, in my opinion, there was no contest. Comparing those two particular 5 channel amps, the Rotel was far and away the better two channel amp. Bass was tight, well controlled, soundstage was wide and deep. The MCA was flat...almost dull, with a narrow soundstage. Didn't care for it at all for music reproduction. It did shine with movies, and if I were putting together a dedicated HT only system, it would be worth considering. I have no experience with Outlaw Audio, so I can offer no insight.

And yes, you won't believe the difference adding a separate power amp will make. Good luck.

Rich

Comment

• Mukaudio
      • Oct 2005

Out of curiosity, what made you trade up from the RMB-1075 to the 1095? Just the increased power?

Part of the challenge of this amp search has been figuring out how much power I "need." I'm not one to blast at nightclub decibels, but I do want to have enough juice for a spirited section of music or an action scene in a movie...

Mark.
      Mark

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Hi Mark,
        I do not have any personal experience with Rotel and Anthem, but I do run Krell, Adcom and Outlaw amps in my system. I do stand behind Outlaw. They make very good products for their price point. I was running all Outlaw 200w monoblocks and then went to the Krell for 2 channel. I still use 1 Outlaw for center duty. To compare the Krell(250w) to the Outlaw(200w), the Krell had more punch and control, along with a lower noise floor. The Krell bested the Outlaw, but it should at 10 times the price.
        I recommend the Outlaw for a try. They have a 30-day return policy that cannot be beat. And a 5 year warranty with excellent customer service. Good luck.
        Steel

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

IMO Outlaw makes great gear for the money BUT if you have the extra $$$ you'll get better sound out of Rotel, Anthem, Parasound etc.

The 1095 is a pretty dang good amp but with your desire for good 2ch I'd likely lean towards a 1075 for surround/centre duty (which should be more than enough power for your surrounds and you could use one of the extra 2 channles to bi-amp the centre) and either a 1080 or the new 2ch or monoblock switching amps Rotel has coming out in a couple months.
          Jason

Comment

• rdram
            • Mar 2005

Out of curiosity, what made you trade up from the RMB-1075 to the 1095?
            That's a good question, one for which I don't have a cut and dry answer. For me, a minimum of 200w/ch has always been a benchmark of performance (from my stereo only days) and when I went shopping for multichannel amps this past spring, that was the number I had in mind. It's not just about volume level either. Current capability, S/N, damping factor, speaker efficiency, room size all come into play. IMO, its better to have as many watts as you can afford (also gives you flexibility if you ever change speaker systems, move to a larger room). In my area, the only amps (in my price/watts range) I was able to audition at local dealers were the Rotel, Anthem and a B&K 200.5. There are a slew of good amps out there, and I could have bought used which would have expanded the selection. But I wasn't willing to buy without listening first, so I limited the choices to the above. Concerning the Rotel, there are only two local dealers, and neither carry the 1095. I bought the 1075 because I liked the sound, but when it came down to the last few days of the time for which I could trade up, I figured I should go with the power level I was originally shopping for and had the dealer order me the 1095 (the only way I was going to be able to audition it was to buy it ). I knew the additional 75/w channel weren't going to make an earth shattering difference, but there were other factors. The 1095 has two transformers, one for the front two channels and another for the center and surround channels (thought that was a good design feature)...higher damping factor two. Also, after watching the used market, I figured if I wasn't happy with the 1095, I could sell it (Rotel stuff goes quick-and has great resale value) and go back to the 1075. But I didn't and the 1095 has found a home. Its probably not the best amp at two channel, not the best at 5 channel, not the best reproducing the soundtracks of your favorite movies, but for $1700+tax out the door, its real good, and will have a place on my equipment rack for many years to come. I can't stress enough how important it is for you to spend the time auditioning whatever amps your looking at. What I think really doesnt matter, its what you think that counts.

Rich

Comment

• rdram
              • Mar 2005

Mark,

Found this on another thread on this forum when I was shopping around. Might help you decide how much power you need.

Comment

• comeup
                • Jul 2005

I have not heard the outlaw, but have heard everything else above and their all good. Considering your going to keep it up to ten years take your time and listen to them all (in your home). Don't forgot B&K they do have class A amps.

peace
                Blake

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Last year I was in a big self-debate over getting Rotel, Anthem, or Outlaw gear. I ended up getting an Outlaw Model 950 Pre/Pro and a Rotel RMB-1075 Amp. I heard no differences between the 950 and RSP-1068. If doing everything over again, I would get the Outlaw gear. The new Model 990 Pre/Pro and Model 7125 amplifier. Together they're only $1900+Shipping. I got 20% off my Rotel 1075, which is really the only reason why I chose Rotel over Outlaw. I recommend Outlaw Audio to all my friends/family. Excellent products/customer service/pricing.

I'm by no means an "Audiophile", but I am sensitive enough to be annoyed by 6dB spikes/lulls of certain frequency bands. Once you break out of those little receiver amps into this bracket, I really think you're splitting hairs as far as the differences between sound quality of these solid-state amps. Without an acoustically treated room I'm not sure you could even tell the difference without an elaborate A/B setup. Certainly with lower resolution movie soundtracks it would be even less of a difference.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Rolyasm
                    • Dec 2004

Don't forget about Earthquake. They have a 300 w/channel amp that, by the specs, really looks great. I know Mulester just got one and seems very impressed with it. The reviews I read are all good. I think they are introducing their 7 channel at the CES, so you might find a good deal on the five channel. Just another option.
                    Roly

Comment

• blues651
                      • Nov 2005

I agree with Aud19 , I have the same front 3 speakers as you. I have a 1075 and the H/T side of my system is just awesom! I'm like you 75%-25% and while the 2ch. side sounds good I think a 1080 or better yet a 1090 will serve you better in 2ch. as those 100's like high current. you should be able to find a used combo of 1080/1075 for less than a new 1095 and I think you would be alot happier with the sound (1 of many different routes you could take). Keep in mind if you change your pre you change the sound for the better, I went from an Onkyo intergrated to a Rotel 1068 and got alot closer to where I want to be!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"