X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

Goodbye Rotel hello Anthem

Well not totally. I have purchased an Anthem MRX-300 to act as a pre/pro for my 1095 and 1080 amps. I have had Rotel processors for the last 12 years. A 1066, 976, maybe not in that order, and then the awesome 1098. It was a very hard decision to replace the 1098 but technology keeps moving and I feel that Rotel has fallen behind. I don't really care about the lack of hdmi on the 1098 but really wanted the lossless codecs and even more the ARC auto-equalization of the Anthem.

I hope that I don't regret my move. I will list my 1098 on this forum in case someone from the group wants to buy it.

Sonically Rotel produces first class equipment so I will definitely not part with my amps.
  • hery19
    • Jul 2008

Congratulations! Let us know how you like your new toy!
    TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
    Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
    Amp: Monolith 7X
    Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
    Sub: SVS PB 3000
    Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
    Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
    Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Could you have gone for a Blu-Ray player with the lossless decoders build in and analog outputs (like Oppo BDP-93).

Cheers!
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        Could you have gone for a Blu-Ray player with the lossless decoders build in and analog outputs (like Oppo BDP-93).

Cheers!
        I could have done that. That was really the debate for me. I definitely felt some buyers remorse when I took my 1098 out of the rack and felt how heavy it was compared to the Anthem receiver which has internal amps. Not sure if I have done the right thing.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by mpauline
          I could have done that. That was really the debate for me. I definitely felt some buyers remorse when I took my 1098 out of the rack and felt how heavy it was compared to the Anthem receiver which has internal amps. Not sure if I have done the right thing.
          Yeah I can understand that. The 1098 is a nice unit...

Were you completely happy aside from the HD codecs?
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
            • Dec 2003

Yes I was very happy with the 1098. Prior to originally buying it the only thing that I thought was slightly...and I say slightly better was a Lexicon processor. I am tempted to take back this Anthem. I usually don't get buyer's remorse especially over home theater equipment as I tend to research and audition in a great deal before buying.

Comment

• june
              • Feb 2005

congratz!!!

please let us know how it sounds compaired to your rotel. i'm from the old school, new isn't necassarly better. but i could be wrong
              June
              "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

I'm sorry to say but I'm not a big fan of Anthem. I have Installed many D2's and a MRX700 receiver. The D2 is completely over priced especially for how it sounds. The MRX700 on the other hand I felt was pretty damn nice. I think it would compete with Pioneer Elite SC models very well except features.
                Rotel has a sound quality like no other. They are warm but not overly , they are clear and clean with a hint of class. They really bring real to the replay world.
                I would not choose Anthem anything over Rotel. I hope you like it as much or better then the Rotel pre , I'm surprised you didn't go with a new Rotel pre. The new models are coming or are out , I haven't checked release date for the new models. Current models are very nice.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Yes I was very happy with the 1098. Prior to originally buying it the only thing that I thought was slightly...and I say slightly better was a Lexicon processor. I am tempted to take back this Anthem. I usually don't get buyer's remorse especially over home theater equipment as I tend to research and audition in a great deal before buying.
                  If you still have the chance to take it back, it would be worth trying your 1098 with a BR player that has the HD codecs built in. For not a lot of money you can get one helluva player from Oppo.

Cheers!
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
                    • Dec 2003

I may take the Anthem back and just take a credit towards some Klipsch Ultra2 THX speakers. Then I could just buy an OPPO and run it through my Rotel. They keep harping over the amazing results if I run the ARC system on the Anthem however I must say it sounds a little to bright for me right out of the box.

Comment

• mpauline
                      • Dec 2003

Welcome back 1098! Decided to return the Anthem. It just did not sound as good as my old Rotel. Now I will order an OPPO and join the world of lossless through my multichannel analog inputs.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Welcome back 1098! Decided to return the Anthem. It just did not sound as good as my old Rotel. Now I will order an OPPO and join the world of lossless through my multichannel analog inputs.
                        Sounds like a good plan.. Go for the 95 over the 93 since you will use the analog outputs.

*EDIT*.. Also an option would be to go for a used Oppo 83SE, unless there is specific features you want that the 93/95 have that the 83SE doesn't.

Cheers!
                        Last edited by stuofsci02; 06 October 2011, 08:55 Thursday.
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
                          • Dec 2003

It is very hard to find a used 83SE. Price wise I would like to stick at around $600 so I think I may not find one and will have to go with a new Oppo 93.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

It is very hard to find a used 83SE. Price wise I would like to stick at around $600 so I think I may not find one and will have to go with a new Oppo 93.
                            Perfect condition.Bought BDP95 for balanced outputs. 5 months old.

Does not indicate *sold*....

$650 might be a bit much, but maybe negatioable...
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• pixphipau
                              • Feb 2009

I love what arc has done to my system...maybe i am in the minority?

Anyhoo just got a 1575 to go with it, will let you know how i get on....if interested?

Oh i was a member years ago lost all my details... Have had 1066,1075,1068,1075 haha.....

Comment

• Sackrat
                                • Oct 2011

mpauline - Have you considered the new Rotel RSP-1572? It has six HDMI inputs and two HDMI 1.4 outputs plus will decode all the latest lossless codecs. Two good reasons to look at. I eliminated a snakes nest of cables in preperation for my Rotel 1572 to replace my 2003 B&K Ref 30 prepro. Loved the Ref 30 without HDMI for awhile but kept waiting for the next BIG thing like HDMI, or Lossless codecs, or HDMI 1.4 for 3D. Tired of waiting. I am looking forward to installing my new unit.

Comment

• mpauline
                                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sackrat
                                  mpauline - Have you considered the new Rotel RSP-1572? It has six HDMI inputs and two HDMI 1.4 outputs plus will decode all the latest lossless codecs. Two good reasons to look at. I eliminated a snakes nest of cables in preperation for my Rotel 1572 to replace my 2003 B&K Ref 30 prepro. Loved the Ref 30 without HDMI for awhile but kept waiting for the next BIG thing like HDMI, or Lossless codecs, or HDMI 1.4 for 3D. Tired of waiting. I am looking forward to installing my new unit.

Went ahead and bought the OPPO 95. Everything is now audio nirvana..oh yeah my subwoofer needs replacing and so does my LCR. Arghhh...I love home theater

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2009

Went ahead and bought the OPPO 95. Everything is now audio nirvana..oh yeah my subwoofer needs replacing and so does my LCR. Arghhh...I love home theater
                                    Did you solve your issue with the rear 7.1 channels?
                                    Main System:
                                    B&W 801D
                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                    B&W CM7
                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
                                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                      Did you solve your issue with the rear 7.1 channels?
                                      I did. The new firmware downloaded the first time that I hooked up the OPPO to the network. When I spoke with OPPO tech support they suggested that I do a system default reboot. I did this and it fixed the issue. You have to like it when a tech suggestion actually works :T

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"