X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magus
    • Dec 2004

Speakers for Denon 3805

Hey, I recently bought a Denon 3805 receiver and was looking for some speakers to go along with it. I am willing to pay up to 3000 dollars for them. Thanks ahead.
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

What will you be using the speakers for? I'm assuming for mainly movies and not much music since you asked this in the Home Theater section. If mainly movies, I think Klipsch are great for movies. If it's a even split between movies and music, B&Ws would be my choices. I have the 600s series right now and am pretty happy with them except the center channel (LCR600). Go for the 700s if you can afford them. 4x705s will be around 2800 and the HTM7 will add the total of 3500. Your dealer should give you a 10-15% discount and that'll bring you pretty close to your 3000 budget. As for subs, that'll depend alot on what your room size is. I'm using the Denon 2805 BTW. If you have any questions about the 3805, let me know. Denon's owners manual are kinda sketchy for the most part.

Comment

• magus
      • Dec 2004

Thanks a lot blazemaster. Yes they are used for movies. I just need 7.1 speakers that work well with the denon 3805?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

magus,

Here is a 600 series configuration in B&W. This looks to be in your stated budget. I've been very happy with my B&W, and I'm mostly HT. If you get 10% discount, all the better. Hope this helps.

Fronts: DM603S3 $1000/PR
        Center: LCR60S3 $ 350/EA
        Sides: DM601S3 $ 450/PR
        Surrounds: DM601S3 $ 450/PR
        Sub: ASW 650 $ 700/EA

Total List Price: $2950

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

Blazemaster,what is it about the lcr600 that you are not happy about.I thought the 600 was the match for the 603s3 which is what i also have.I dont find any problems w/my lcr600 even though it is not broken in yet.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

it is a good match for the 603s and the front stage blends really well together right now. I'm happy in the regard that it blends seamlessly. There are things about the LCR600 that makes it more of an entry level speaker of the B&W line. Are you sure you want to hear my negatives about it? If you're happy with it, then just be happy with it. I think it's great for the money, but comparing it to the HTM7 which is another step up for a little bit more, I rather take the HTM7, and therefore 704s to match that and 705s as surrounds.

Let's keep this thread for suggesting magus to the right directions. If you have more question about it, rick, you can PM me.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

A very good friend of mine, just recently purchased the Denon 3805, and NHT enterprise speakers, the T5's I believe, with the center and surrounds. I haven't heard it yet, because delivery is this week, but he sampled the sound and really enjoyed it.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• k mier
                • Sep 2004

I demo'ed the 3805 with my NHT 2.5i's. For my tastes I thought the combo was just a bit on the bright side. It mated very well with a pair of Mirages I have. I don't know about the rest of the Mirage line, but mine, frx-5b1? $300 special from AA, are on the polite side. Mated well with a pair of Optimus lx-5's too. This is just my opinion, no flames please.
                Because speakers sound so different from one another, Please take the time to audition the speakers that fit your budget, even if it means road time. That amount of $ can get you a varity of speakers. Take your time, listen, and get what makes you smile.

Comment

• magus
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by rick c
                  Blazemaster,what is it about the lcr600 that you are not happy about.I thought the 600 was the match for the 603s3 which is what i also have.I dont find any problems w/my lcr600 even though it is not broken in yet.
                  Actually I was alos wondering why you didn't mention the lcr600 rather than the 603s3. I just saw that the price was higher and therefore thought it would be better.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

It is a good match for the 603s because it has the same driver configurations, 6.5 in. midrange and 6.5 inch for bass. So when you get sound panning from left to center then to right speaker, the information remains consistent in the front. But the thing about the LCR600 when you listen to music or movies when there's alot of info coming from the LCR600 you can hear the resonaces coming from it. This is especially noticeble with the female vocals. Try it, Rick, if you really want to, but like I said, if you're happy with it, then stay that way. Don't let me stray you down the drain. That's the thing with this hobby, when you live with the system and use it on the daily basis, you tend to notice more faults than you do at the stores, for some reason. Other than the resoances, I have no other complaints with the setup. Which is why I'm contemplating going with a 700s setup, consists of 704s, HTM7 and 705s and keeping my SVS PB12plus/2 sub. The 600s are still great value IMO, but there's definitly more weaknesses than the 700s and 800s. The 600s are great for movies and some rock music, any demanding music will show its faults. Just my opinon, it's your money, do what you want.

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

take a look at www.axiomaudio.com as well. Good speakers at reasonable price. I have 3805 and axiom M60 (FL/FR) , M3 (SL/SR) ....

Comment

• DeepPurple23
                        • Dec 2004

While you have gotten several great suggestions here, I also have one that you should consider. KEF. Their Q series or maybe the XQ series would fit into your budget. I had the Q's mated to my 3802 and they produced a great sound. Of course speakers are a personal thing. I would say that this coupling was a little on the "warm" sound, but I've also noticed that the 3805 is not as warm as the 3802 so this should prove to be a great mix. I'll also say that the bass produced from the Q7s and that "race track" woofer is amazing, in fact I actually unhooked my sub because the bass was that much better in music and movies. I actually bi-wired (not bi-amped) the Q7s and the Q9c and it did help the overall sound of the system. I had Q1s as surrounds.

I hope that this helps. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask and I'll provide more detail.

Good luck.

DeepPurple

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

I went with a full 7.1 Phase Tech setup:

Velocity series
                          V-12 Mains
                          V-6 center
                          V-surround sides
                          V-4 rears for 7.1

Total was around $1800. Fully USA built and designed. 10 yr warranty. Soft Dome Tweeter was designed by the guy who invented the soft dome tweeter.

That would leave you about $1200 to buy a subwoofer. I would go with an SVS personally. The PC Ultra or PB12/2 Plus would be that route.

Awesome setup for HT and movies.

Comment

• k mier
                            • Sep 2004

[
                            That would leave you about $1200 to buy a subwoofer. I would go with an SVS personally. The PC Ultra or PB12/2 Plus would be that route.
                            .[/QUOTE]

OR, that would be one heck of an IB arrangement. :T

Comment

• Shane Martin
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2001

OR, that would be one heck of an IB arrangement
                              I would if I could in my house. Not happening though

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"