X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Amp for passive subs

Aquired an SV passive sub.... Often a pro amp is paired up with them.

Are there any older 2 channel amps that are bridgeable to 4ohm?... Most are only rated to 8 ohm in mono/bridge. For instance, would like to pick up an 9180 Hafler. Would it get cooked at 4ohm in bridemode? Any amps that can handle this?.... Imagine I should just get a Crown. In some ways I'd also like a 12v triggered amp (or could get a monster power center to 12v trigger switch some outlets if desparate). Also leary of fan noise... might not be too critical.

Had also considered just getting a sub plate amp, but kind of kludgey to conceal. Also could consider a mono block, but often cumbersome as well.

I'm also considering a used NHT sub amp.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

If you can find one - the "old" Marantz MA500 or MA700 mono amps are very nice suited for this. Lots of power , small size and can be found relatively cheap used..

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The old Marantz mono's can't be triggered though as that's a special trigger on those...still they're afordable and offer decent power.

The issue with most pro style amps is fan noise. some of the crown's are fan less which is great but they aren't cheap either. I'm using a QSC pro amp for my passive amp but its fan noise is terrible so I have the amp in another room so its less noticable.

Another option is to use a plate amp...they don't have to be mounted to the sub as you could build a small box for it or just hide it behind your rack etc.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

How about an Audiosource 5.3 Monoblock, rated 250 watts into 4 ohms ? Parts Express has them at discount.
        Last edited by Glen B; 10 December 2004, 04:50 Friday.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yup, I use six AudioSource 5.3 monoblock amps to drive my tactile transducers in my seating. Raw power in a manageable case... noise doesn't seem to be too bad. Now I don't know if it would be enough power for the hardest of subwoofer driving...
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I have used very successfully both a Carver PRO ZR1600 & Crown K2 to power my passive subs. Both are bridgeable. I have seen articles with SVS being powered by the K1 & K2.

Neither the K1 or K2 have a fan which is great. I am not certain what kind of budget you have in mind but the Crown's are a top-flight PRO amp that'll last you forever. See thumbnails for specs. The thing which is really great with using a pro amp for this application is they have volume controls which add more flexibility besides what your bass management can do.

Jim
            Attached Files
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• TimRawson
              • Oct 2004

While a crown k1 or k2 would be nice, don't need that much power nor the budget right now. Probably just gonna get a part's express sub/plate amp and conceal it somewhere - make a basic holder and throw it behind the projection tv.

Just wish lower powered pro-amps could claim the 4 ohm bridge mode. Get tempted to get a hafler or carver inexpensively, bridge it and see how it handles the sub (4ohm load). It's the SVS 20-39cs model....

But, for $120 for 250watt plate amp sounds like it'll do for now. My prepro's xover is basic and probably on 12db/octave, so the gain control and xover flexibilty will probably be of use.

Thanks

Comment

• David R.
                • Apr 2003

Theres the outlaw mono amp.. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html#

300wx1 @ 4ohm.. 300 bucks.

Comment

• avpower
                  • Dec 2004

I just checked out svs site - they actually recommend their Samsung amp for the CS series. http://svsubwoofers.com/ampeq.htm
                  The 700w unit runs $389 and the 1000w is 459. You may contact svs and see if they have any B-stock amps for sale..

I remember reading an article by SVS that their CS series could be powered by almost any amp. Ah, found it. http://svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#ampquestions

Enjoy the sub!

Comment

• TimRawson
                    • Oct 2004

Actually have an cheap old (purchased at Sears in 1995, "100x5") Sony running it right now. SVS's are damn efficient!!! Proper enclosure as they say....

But, have a 250W@4 plate amp coming and should do the trick.

Curious though, anyone use one of the Buttkicker amps?.... Smaller form factor, low pass xover 40-160hz, class D, 2 ohm stable and said to put out 1100 at 4 ohm? More than I'd need at this time.

If I had more play money, would try it out. Just wanna know if there's something I'm missing here....

Comment

• TimRawson
                      • Oct 2004

Got the 250W@4 amp... I think using a channel of the old Sony stereo sounded better - couldn't have been more than 50 real watts.

Are these plate amps eq'd?.... Funny as it sounds, using the receiver blended so smoothly with the rest of my system.

But also my prepro isn't superflexible, but don't feel I really shouldn't have to overcompensate at the prepro. I think I've become spoiled having the volume knob to adjust bass loudness... Maybe better off with pro amp like the Crown XLS202 with gain controls or maybe just use the Sony till I fry it (running 4 ohm off lower end receiver). But I can hear that more power would sound better.

Also going do a quick try of my old hifonics zeus audio amp via a borrowed 25a power supply (my zeus 400x1 audio amp up for sale on ebay)... just very curious about that one.

UPDATE (EDITTED) - The Hifonics amp running the sub is freaking awesome. Guess I'm going go find a heavy duty 12-13.8V power supply. Currently using a 25amp one and the fuse on the zeus is 40amps. I saw a heavy duty one on ebay a while back.... the hifonics is convenient also with the xover, a bass boost if desired (0-12db at 45Hz I think). Plus, I know from past experience the thing is 2ohm stable in bridge mode, so could run 2 subs handily
                      Last edited by TimRawson; 22 December 2004, 11:57 Wednesday.

Comment

• HDjunkie
                        • Dec 2004

Behringer EP1500

2 x 700 Watts into 2 ohms, or 1,400 watts into 4 ohms bridged mono operation.

$299

Behringer EP1500 Power Amplifier. Signal and clip LED indicators. Back-to-front ventilation system.
                        Jim.

My HT

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"