X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Onkyo THX Select Receiver for $800.

Wow, I was pretty impressed with this one. Not an Integra product, but Onkyo seems to be putting out a good one with this release:

Onkyo Unveils Mid-Priced THX Select Receiver

TX-SR701 features 6 x 100 Watts, Bass Management for DVD-A and SACD, 7.1-channel processing, Component Video Switching, and Powered Zone 2 for $800

UPPER SADDLE RIVER, NJ (7/30/03) -- Onkyo has introduced the TX-SR701 A/V receiver, delivering 6x100 Watts of power, and THX Select performance and processing capabilities. The receiver also includes a full suite of high end features such as digital bass management for DVD-A and SACD, sophisticated video conversion and switching capabilities, and excellent multi-room flexibility, including Onkyo's Powered Zone 2.

"With the TX-SR701, consumers can have the guaranteed performance and capabilities of a THX certified receiver at a very affordable price point," said Onkyo product manager Don Milks. "When you also look at features like digital bass management for SACD and DVD-A inputs, Onkyo's zone 2 flexibility, and high definition video switching, we think this receiver is a real giant-killer."

The TX-SR701 features Onkyo's Powered Zone 2 capability, which can be used to power stereo speakers in a second room as well as the main zone thanks to a dedicated set of zone 2 L/R speaker terminals. The receiver is capable of processing separate stereo sources simultaneously for each zone, or sending the same signal to both. There is also a zone 2 pre-out that can be used in conjunction with an external amplifier.

The TX-SR701's 5.1-channel analog input includes sophisticated bass management capabilities, which are critical for listening to high resolution DVD-A and SACD with most multichannel speaker systems. The incoming signals are digitized and then processed by the receiver's DSP to route low frequency information to a subwoofer while excluding it from small satellite speakers that are not meant to handle deep bass. The subwoofer crossover is selectable at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz for optimal integration with any speaker arrangement. This feature can also be bypassed with Onkyo's exclusive Pure Audio Mode for the ultimate in analog signal fidelity with full-range speakers.

For integration with video equipment, the TX-SR701 features five A/V inputs and three outputs, each with both Composite and S-Video connections, and two assignable Component Video inputs. The receiver features Y/C separation using a 3-line digital comb filter to convert Composite to S-Video for superior reproduction and simplified connection to any display. For HDTV and DVD video fidelity, component video switching boasts a 50 MHz bandwidth to prevent the signal degradation that can occur with low-bandwidth components.

The TX-SR701's high quality AM/FM tuner section has 40 random presets, and the included backlit preprogrammed/learning remote control makes system integration and control simple and convenient.

The Onkyo TX-SR701 is currently available at a suggested retail price of $800.

Onkyo, which means 'audio' or 'sound' in Japanese, has been producing precision audio components for over a half-century. The company's philosophy is to deliver products that are superbly designed and built to a consistently outstanding standard of excellence. Today, Onkyo is at the forefront of the home theater and digital revolutions. For more information about this and other fine Onkyo products, visit www.onkyousa.com or call 800-229-1687.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Chris --

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention. From the press release, it looks like a heck of a deal -- lots of advanced features at a very reasonable price. If someone is really bummed that it says Onkyo on the front panel instead of Integra, they can get one of those spiffy label writers at Office Depot and make up their own logo. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Burke- Actually, I'm wondering if I should consider this Onkyo for a seperate room. Good stuff for the price. One question I had-- is 50MHz bandwidth REALLY enough to pass high-def component video? By comparison, the Parasound HALO C1/C2 pass 300MHz.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
        is 50MHz bandwidth REALLY enough to pass high-def component video?
        Chris -- When the Integra Research RDC-7 first came out, its video bandwidth was 45 mhz. (Their seldom-updated site says it still is, but in correspondence with them, they've said that after the latest upgrade it is now 60 mhz.) Even at 45 mhz, owners have testified that in actual use they cannot detect a difference between video signals passed directly from high def sources to their high def TVs versus ones switched via the RDC-7's component video inputs and output.

So in practice, since it appears 45 mhz is really "enough", a 50 mhz bandwidth in this new Onkyo receiver should do the job just fine. Kind of like with the damping factor in amplifiers, once you reach a certain threshold, higher numbers may look more impressive on the spec sheet, but realistically don't do much more than give their owners "bragging rights".

Burke
        Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Burke, I have one of those spiffy lable makers, I even have gold on black stock. Just tell them to let me know, and I will print it up. lol.

That is a pretty strong deal for Selecct. Not that it well, really means that much to be select necessarily. Well, maybe it does.

Perhaps it's time to add Onkyo with Integra club?

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"