X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glangston@socal
    • May 2004

iTunes Express--Anyone try it yet

If you have a wireless Apple network (Airport) you can buy the Airtunes device to facilitate playing your Library of Music on your computer over the stereo in your home. It comes with a toslink and rca connectors that plug into your receiver and receives wireless from the Airport. Now that I understand how it works it sounds like a good idea.
  • Jraducha
    • Aug 2004

I have the airport express and love it!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's a really nice concept, unfortunately though, I'm heavily on the Windows side of the room.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• glangston@socal
        • May 2004

Further Airport Express Information

Originally posted by David Meek
        It's a really nice concept, unfortunately though, I'm heavily on the Windows side of the room.
        The Airport Express is touted to work with Windows XP. It seems as if it is a bit of a chore unless you have foreknowledge of the issues. On the Mac side they require OSX 10.3 to be able to configure Airport Express for the wireless AirTunes, therefore it's not yet for me.

Here is an XP users solution.

ros:**If it worked out of the box, wireless music to your stereo.

Cons:**Regardless of what people say, this DOES work with XP, with or without SP2. However, it is hard. First, disable WEP on your router. Second, turn off MAC filtering. Next, plug the Express INTO your router - don't do the config wirelessly. Then run the Airport Utility and manually configure the device for wireless music. If you can't get it to work (flashing orange on the Express), do a hard reset and try over, making sure you completed each step correctly. I would not use this as a wireless base station on XP systems, but only for wireless music, even though it is tough to get working. The manuals and online help say NOTHING about these problems. This is the same type of issues I had with my wireless Xbox controller, so I am not suprised. Plug and play wireless just isn't there yet without having some headaches along the way.

Comment

• arrow
          • Mar 2005

I have one and can not live with out it in my hometheater. I just flop open my laptop and tell people ok what do you want to hear i got everything on tap that is in that cd wall and more. It amazes some people, just more convienit for me works great no hassele setting it up realy

Comment

• cinema bob
            • Apr 2005

david, out of curiosity why are you not open to macintosh? i find it to be easier to use, faster, and far more stable. add that to the fact that their are no viruses, worms, etc. and I have a hard time understanding why people still use windows for anything but games...

on topic i have and airport express and love it. on a mac there is no configuration needed at all.
            Last edited by cinema bob; 02 May 2005, 01:42 Monday.

Comment

• Radec
              • Jan 2005

There are other alternatives as well. If you have a wireless laptop, you have a lot of docking stations/external Audio cards with Digital outs like this one that work well with any Home network.

I had a credit with Toshiba, so I used it to pick up the above station. It stays downstairs on the shelf, then all I need to do is bring the laptop down, plug it in and voila ---> 25GB of streaming music at my fingertips

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"