X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Res iTunes coming soon?

Earlier this week, a report suggested Apple was planning a "dramatic overhaul" of its iTunes Music store to combat declining music downloads,...

Apple may also be planning to add high resolution audio downloads to iTunes as part of the revamp, allowing users to download lossless 24-bit audio files. According to music blogger Robert Hutton, who cites an unspecified source, Apple is going to roll out hi-res iTunes music downloads in early June, possibly at WWDC.

For several years, Apple have been insisting that labels provide files for iTunes in 24 bit format - preferably 96k or 192k sampling rate. So they have undeniably the biggest catalog of hi-res audio in the world.

And the Led Zeppelin remasters in high resolution will be the kick off event - to coincide with Led Zep in hi-res, Apple will flip the switch and launch their hi-res store via iTunes - and apparently, it will be priced a buck above the typical current file prices.

That's right - Apple will launch hi-res iTunes in two months.

Apple has been working on offering music in a 24-bit format for several years, with a 2011 report suggesting the company was in talks with record labels to increase the quality of iTunes Music. Currently, Apple sells audio files on iTunes in 16-bit lossy AAC format encoded at 256 kbps to minimize file size.

High-definition 24-bit downloads are said to offer better detail, greater depth, and a deeper bass response compared to traditional 16-bit music downloads, but the file sizes are much larger.

Thoughts and comments, anyone? Could be an interesting, if overdue, development.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

It's about time.
    Jay

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Idk, I think their normal prices are kind of high? So now it's going to be twice as much for a hi-res file? I guess if you only limit it to special albums or something. But if you get an album that has close to 20 songs even at a dollar a piece it's an expensive album, at $2 a piece it's 40 bucks nearly?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I am ALL for iTunes getting on-board with hi-res audio. About time. :T:T:T:T I just hope they don't price themselves out of making it worthwhile for consumers. Like Dougie said, if they price it high, nobody will download and it'll seem like demand is low.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

This is welcome news if true.

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I've weened myself off iTunes, because its evolved into a bloated mess of iPad/pod/phone syncing and backup software - that, and Apple not supporting HiRes. However, Apple have all the right pieces in place, if they would only change their policy and sell 16/44 (or better). The iTunes 11 update was a major disappointment for me, hopefully they will fix things.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The rumor article mentioned only $1 or $2 premium per album, but then, it's just a rumor article. Hard to guess what they'll actually do, but I'd love it if they undercut HDTracks. well, love it from an end consumer viewpoint; I'm glad HDTracks has existed and helped pioneer this, but I'm not wildly fond of paying $25 bucks per album. I wonder how that money is actually divvied up, and how much goes to the artist?
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Seems like it was saying 1 dollar more than the regular file, which I believe the regular files are 99 cents? Unless the price went up. So that's 1.99 per track.

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

This is very welcome news.
                  I have been into High Rez Music for quite some time now and would love for iTunes to be able to actually play it. I have to use a 3rd party software in order to pull it off called Pure Music. I have to have 2 copies of everything if I want to listen to the same albums on my iPhone , iPhone etc.

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Would be outstanding if it allowed iTunes to play back FLAC as seamlessly as it does other non-proprietary Apple formats. There are a number of FLAC downloads out there that are reasonably priced but not iTunes compatible. Probably won't happen though. (Best case would be if it included DSD download playback--but I won't hold my breath).

As to the price increase, the article is unclear. I suspect it will be 1$ extra per title but perhaps only 10-20% more for a complete album. I have a number of iTunes singles that cost 99 cents (or 1.29$--Canadian prices are a bit higher on most, though not all, singles) and when I log in, I'm offered the opportunity to "complete my album". In many, many cases, the average cost of all the tracks if I complete the album would come to well below 99 cents. If Apple wanted to kickstart this hi-res effort, it should offer a free (highly unlikely) or heavily discounted (perhaps possible) upgrade price for those tracks people already have.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

That'd be a good move, Ovation, so all of us wouldn't have to totally repurchase the music we already bought from iTunes.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

Yeah, I agree, that would be smart move by Apple, Ovation!

I just hope the rumor is true. I read reports that Apple is bringing out an iPhone 6 in the Fall, with a bigger screen ... and can playback high res music???? Time will tell ...
                        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

We (the public) are definitely getting the iPhone 6 in the fall. I think there's a good chance it'll have a bigger screen, but not for sure. Same with going up to 128GB memory max. I haven't upgraded since my iPhone 4s, and will be eyeing the iPhone 6 hard.
                          Last edited by Chris D; 14 April 2014, 17:25 Monday.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

I've still got my iPhone 4 (first and only "smartphone" for me) and I'm doing my best to hold out for the iPhone 6 (mostly for the bigger memory that I hope will be there, especially if I'm going to be loading lossless hi-res audio). If they go to hi-res 24bit audio, there is a potential bottleneck at the Airport Express and AppleTV ends--as far as I know, the Express is 16/44.1 while the AppleTV is 16/48 (which makes the Express the better choice for audio as it does not require the awkward conversion of 44.1 to 48 that the AppleTV does). If they can be upgraded via firmware to carry hi-res audio, that'll be great (but I wouldn't bet on it). Otherwise, people will have to connect their computers directly to their receivers/pre-amps via a hi-res capable DAC. This would not necessarily be difficult to do, or overly pricey, but it will reduce the convenience factor of streaming considerably.

Comment

• aarsoe
                              • May 2004

Would love for Apple to get high res but think people are overlooking one important aspect namely that Apple have no hardware that can handle high res.
                              So unless a new Apple TV is launched and there is a simultaneous announcement of support on future products I don't see it happening. Even so only having one unit that can do playback is still very thin unless they will position their mac line as the best way to do playback but that does not match what they have done until now..

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Yeah, I tried putting hi-res MP3's on my iPod, but didn't work.

Good point.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• RPAudio1
                                  • Jun 2011

I've put higher resolution files on my iPhone- 16 bit waves. Shouldn't be hard for them to do 24 bit files, but they'll need a better DAC.
                                  I have a feeling that people targeted by the high res files will play from their computer anyways, which iTunes can easily do with Amarra. Then you'd just use your iphone as a remote to control iTunes...

Time will tell!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"