• Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

If iTunes can make it work why not the RIAA and other vendors

link to story here...http://informationweek.com/story/sho...icleID=9400462

reprinted:

The vendor says its iTunes Music Store sold more than 1 million songs in its first week
    By Russell Redman, CRN

Apple Computer said Monday that its new iTunes Music Store, launched last week, sold more than 1 million songs in its first week of operation.
    The online store, accessed through the computer maker's iTunes 4 digital music jukebox software, enables users of Apple Macintosh computers and iPod MP3 players to search and preview a catalog of more than 200,000 songs and then use a credit card to buy and download music for 99 cents per title. There's no subscription fee, and users can burn songs onto an unlimited number of CDs for personal use, listen to songs on an unlimited number of iPods, play songs on up to three Macs, and use songs in any Mac application, including Apple's iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD software.

With last week's launch of the iTunes Music Store, Apple also unveiled thinner iPods--now available in 10-, 15-, and 30-Gbyte models--as well as iTunes 4, an upgrade of its digital music application, and QuickTime 6.2, an update of its MPEG-4 streaming media software that provides foundation support for iTunes 4 and Advanced Audio Codec format capabilities.

So far, more than 1 million copies of iTunes 4 have been downloaded, according to Apple. In addition, the company said it has received orders for more than 110,000 new iPods, and more than 20,000 new iPods were sold in U.S. stores over the past weekend.

Apple's online music play reflects its "digital lifestyle" strategy, which puts the PC at the center of a computing environment that touches home, work and leisure activities. However, the online music store also represents a move to position the company as a provider not only of technology but also of digital content, which is necessary to feed the emerging "multimedia household," industry observers say.

Media networking, in which media servers store and play rich content over a home network, is expected to represent 49% of total home networking revenue by 2007, compared with a 6% share in 2002, according to research firm In-Stat/MDR. Overall revenue for the home networking space is projected to hit $5.3 billion by 2007, up from $1.8 billion last year. And by the end of 2007, the total number of installed home networks in the United States and Canada is expected to top 28 million, more than three times the 9.2 million installed home networks in 2002, In-Stat/MDR reported.

To procure content for the iTunes Music Store, Apple inked deals with five major music labels: BMG, EMI, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal and Warner. The computer company said it plans Tuesday to add about 3,200 new tracks to the store's catalog.

In the news release on the iTunes Music Store's first-week results, Apple quoted record executives who expressed surprise over the store's early progress. Roger Ames, chairman and CEO of Warner Music Group, said in a statement that selling 1 million songs in a week was "totally unexpected," while Universal Music Group CEO Doug Morris said his company had an internal benchmark of 1 million songs sold in the first month as a measure of the store's success.

"In less than one week, we've broken every record and become the largest online music company in the world," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement.

The iTunes Music Store launch ended weeks of industry speculation that Apple had planned to acquire Universal Music Group, a subsidiary of French media and entertainment conglomerate Vivendi Universal. Jobs had even issued a statement saying that Apple "never made any offer to invest in or acquire a major music company," although he didn't deny that talks had occurred.

This story courtesy of CRN.
    Maybe Apple owners are more sophisticated...or they have money to burn. I'm not sure but this model sounds promising.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

It's better than the download models that came before.

The interface is almost too damn easy. Apple is just so good at doing smart interfaces.

Beyond the actual implementation, Apple is the first to put together a smart plan (along with a charismatic leader) that the record companies could adopt.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I have always contended that this is what the record industry needs to implement if they want to regain all that lost profit they are crying about, due to P2P MP3 sharing.

If you make it cheap enough to own, why would a person rather have a pristine copy over some terribly compressed version? It's not like they need to charge $15 for a CD. I liken it to the price of a Coca-cola. It's generally $1 for 10 floz and at that price it does not make sense for me to drink noname cola for $.070. Id rather have the real thing for pennies more.

Anyway, it's nice to see Apple do something so forward... Now if only they would support it for my Windows based iPod in Music match. Maybe they have and I should check into it right now :huh:

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Now if only they would support it for my Windows based iPod in Music match. Maybe they have and I should check into it right now
        iTunes will be ported to Windows later this year. Apple is hiring a team to do it now.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Sili, I had read on the iPod lounge it would be towards the end of the year.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I would imagine EphPod or Musicmatch will offer full AAC support for iPod before we ever see iTunes for Windows. Sure, you won't get access to the store but you'll have full iPod support.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

I have heard of a lot of people using those programs. Apples support for the windows based machine is lack luster as far as my experience goes. They should just treat it like any other product, they aren't doing them selfs any service by "not supporting us" and hoping well jump ship.... It's not in all likely hood going to happen :smackbutt:

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Yea, they've been very slow to come around in support of Windows. The music store (and success of the iPod) is finally going to change that. I think iTunes for windows will be the equal of the OS X version.

I've really been getting into my Mac recently. I've always just used my iBook only to browse the web while moving around the house. I've just been bored and played a bit deeper of late. Compared to WinXP, OS X is a vastly superior OS in virtually every way. It's really a beautifully implemented interface.

I really, really, really hope the unfounded rumors about Apple releasing an x86 version of Panther are true. I would dump all Microsoft apps in a second (once the Apple branded Office suite appears next year).

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Those iBooks are certainly nice Sili :T BUT a one button mouse???? :wtf:

Sorry not to sound like a fanboy, I could never get use to that. My mouse has 8 buttons. Gaming on a MAc is also lack luster :evil:

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Oh yea, gaming is a joke. I never understood the one-button mouse either. It forces you to get really good at keyboard shortcuts (something I've never really bothered to use within Windows).

That appears like it's going to change though. When they release their new 64-bit systems (probably late summer) they'll ship with a bluetooth mouse with multiple buttons and an interesting take on the scroll wheel.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Bluetooth mouse....?? Awesome! I'm ready for it :P

So long as it works with PC's..heheh

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"