X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nothing's Working For Me. . . .

Did you ever go through a period where none of your music felt "enjoyable"? The last couple of days, I've been rummaging through my collection - 600-700 CD's and 500 or so albums and NOTHING is appealing to me right now. Sheesh. This is a revolting development. I hope it passes quickly. . . .
    :blink:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Yeah, I've gone through that before.

I feel it's just that I'm not in the mood to listen to music, at all.....at that given moment.

I usually go do something else. I'll usually do stuff like.......put on my In-Line Hockey skates and whack a hockeyball around. Or go play some Golf, bike ride..... Exercise......work out......go for a walk. You know, anything active or different from music or movies.

That usually gets me out of the funk.
    Tony

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
      David Meek Did you ever go through a period where none of your music felt "enjoyable"?
      David -

It must be something in the air in Houston. I've been feeling exactly the same way today as I've tried to "channel surf" my CD collection. Even pulled out some of the "oldies but goodies" that usually perk me right up. Maybe it's the excitement from what's been on television the past several nights. Maybe it's the calls I've been getting from headhunters recently. Maybe it's time to upgrade my system. :>) (Ix-nay to that one.)

Actually with the ozone alerts and allergy warnings we've had lately, there probably really IS something in the air that has been contributing to this. (And it isn't exactly cool to be outside in Houston right now, either.) :>) So I imagine this will pass when the next storm front moves through and clears the air.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Me too, I usually go do something else, like you mentioned or force myself to put on something I "know" I'll like.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
          Actually with the ozone alerts and allergy warnings we've had lately, there probably really IS something in the air that has been contributing to this. (And it isn't exactly cool to be outside in Houston right now, either.) :>) So I imagine this will pass when the next storm front moves through and clears the air.
          I hope so. Jen was feeling kind of "blah" also, so maybe it IS something atmospheric.

Originally posted by Jason
          Me too, I usually go do something else, like you mentioned or force myself to put on something I "know" I'll like.
          Unfortunately, the music has always been my "last resort" when nothing else is interesting.

Comment

• brucek
            HTG Expert
            • Aug 2000

David, You need to go away for a while or at least stop all listening to your systems for a week.

You're in a funk. And I don't mean the Grand Funk on your office system - I mean you've overdosed on music. It's time to pull out the needle.

The only solution is cold turkey. No home system with Sarah Brightman, no truck system with the Doobie Brothers , and no office system with Cream or Grand Funk Railway.

Then, after a full week of this torturous solution you'll have a massive case of the jones for anything.

Wait till it's very quiet late at night and put anything on your home system - tell me it doesn't sound great...... :roll:

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

After a full week, all the other people waiting to test the Cheapskate BPU will be ready to come after me. :

Comment

• gostan
                • May 2003

David:

When this "I've listened to this too many times...nothing looks like it sounds right" malady strikes me; I simply take a day on the golf course. This cures all ills....as I have to get off of the golf course and get home asap to listen to any kind of music to soothe my psyche......

I am listening to something new and fabulous. As you are in Houston, Texas, I assume that you are familiar with Alejandro Escovedo. I just picked up a new double disc entitled: "Por Vida" A Tribute to The Songs of Alejandro Escovedo. From Lucinda Williams to John Cale to Steve Earle to Jennifer Warnes to others I have no familiarity with. Something new and different for me. So, if golf is not an option, get to your local music outlet.

Stan
                Stan

Comment

• dave
                  • Aug 2003

For A-lot of people, Summer is thier down time from thier entertainment systems. Last week I was talking to the manager of the Disc store that
                  I frequent and thier sales have been way down this Summer and I guess a
                  couple of major outlets are having financial trouble from the same thing.
                  So don't feel alone about the way your feeling David it looks as if your
                  definitely not alone. Look at it this way, YOUR saving $$$
                  Dave...

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Also David, no matter how much you enjoy a thing, too much of it gets old. I really enjoy music and movies yet, find myself looking for quiet time quite a bit. Sometime total peace and quiet is the best relaxation of all.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

If I have one of those Tex Meek days when nothing sounds right to me, I go way back in my collection to something from the big bands or ANYTHING FROM FRANK SINATRA. But then, I'm sure John Holmes knew I was going to say this.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Sinatra. Sinatra. Hmmm, sounds familiar. . . . :

Thanks for the suggestions guys. You're all great!

Actually Jon had tickled my interest a bit with his post about Steve Morse. Stan, yes I've heard Alejandro Escovedo and like him.

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Houston....We have a problem :lol:

(always wanted to say that!)

....yup this kinda thing even happens to me :E

I know shocking :E

Usually though I`ll take out Dire Straits or a DVD od Sade and if that doesn`t work well then just big `ol poopey woopey for me :cry: :
                          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                            If I have one of those Tex Meek days when nothing sounds right to me, I go way back in my collection to something from the big bands or ANYTHING FROM FRANK SINATRA. But then, I'm sure John Holmes knew I was going to say this.
                            And you would be correct my friend! :T 8)
                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

The answer may not be what you expected...

Hmmmm. A choice between "total peace and quiet" vs. "ANYTHING FROM FRANK SINATRA"? That puts us in dire straits. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

:rofl: Dire straits.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Now now, Burke ... ;zx
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                    Hmmmm. A choice between "total peace and quiet" vs. "ANYTHING FROM FRANK SINATRA"? That puts us in dire straits. :>)

Burke
                                    Burke a rooney comes out with some freakin' good ones ain! There just subtle...but dang they' re good!

:T
                                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bam!
                                      There just subtle...but dang they' re good!
                                      Yeah, that pretty much sums up Burke! :B

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"