X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Houston, we may have a problem

It seems their's a major design flaw with the Callisto PC. Perhaps an incompatibility with AMD designs?

Read on...

I finished my HTPC, but from the get go, was concerned about no case fan being installed. In fact, I called them to order a case fan that they sell, and he called me back to say there is no place to mount one. Well, the power supply is located right next to the CPU, so I thought maybe it will push enough air through to keep things cool. I checked the CPU temp once while the cover was off, and it was like 34-37 celcious. No problem.

Well, I started to play a DVD, and was experiencing freezes of video and audio break ups, and this would happen after about a minute or two of play.

Either one of 2 things going on. 1. Could be not enough memory. I really didn't need to spend more money, and setteld for 256 meg. However, I do have a PC with 512, that I could reverse the dimms when I feel better. That is, run 512 in the HTPC, and 256 in the auxilary machine. Right now, I feel like crap, so not doing more today.

But what caused me alert, was after the computer had been running a bit, and was experiencing the break ups, I rebooted and went to cmos to check the temps, and the CPU was 57 celcious, or approximately 134 degrees. At that point, I pulled the plug on it.

Seems to dang high to me, but then I am not an expert on CPU temps. So, it's shut down until a discussion about whether this is a serious problem. I realize that the chips are designed to take a lot more heat than you or I like to, but what do you think guys?

On the bright side, I do have TV out working, so, I am getting a picture to my TV, and also AC3 audio. Picture seemed a little soft, and there was a lip sync problem. Words running about a word ahead or back from video, not sure which at this piont.

Ideas? Jon, looks to be your area of expertise now. But input from all appreciated.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Well Lex, you certainly have lots of irons in the fire :P

You may need a better CPU cooler though 135f is approching hot, I have read 137f is the around the threshold that you should run.

What type of HSF combo do you have now?

It should be simple enough to add a small 60mm case fan or even 2 40mm fans. I would maybe tackle it with an optimal HSF.

Lipsync problems leads me to think it's something with the ATI settings or drivers, though I'm not 100% on that.

Well, I hope you start to feel better OLD MAN, what ever maybe ailing you.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Wait a minute! You're running an AMD processor without a fan?!? What processor is it?

57c is pretty high but not crazy high. Of course, I don't know what CPU you're running.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

no case fan
        That's what I said, it has a Global Win CPU fan, but no case fans. Talk about your lack of attention to detail in this case design. Dang that CPU fan sure is loud. It's one I had left laying around. I think a replacement of it is in order too.

That's precisely what I did Sili, is wait a minute. I am not turning it back on until I know that it's safe. If it's not safe, then I will figure out a way to get at least 1 case fan installed.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"