This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

Well, here goes another trivia question. Jackie Gleason & his Orchestra really had a sound all thier own. Who can tell what was interesting about the way he composed his music? & for good measure what was his best known song :?:

dave
    Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Are we talking about Jackie Gleason, the comedian??? Didn't even know he had an orchestra, so I'm obviously folding on this one.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

Jackie Gleason the one who had the television show. Keith if you have,nt heard any of his music, you may enjoy this. :P

dave
        Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Boy, gone a week and look at the catching up to do. . . . Phil Keaggy? Never heard of him. Guys, you've gotta give me (and the ol' wallet) a rest : Jackie Gleason was a composer? A conductor? I just thought he was a rather funny comedian.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

I think that you guys will enjoy this tidbit, I should wait to see if anyone knows this. This one is interesting :!:

dave
            Dave...

Comment

• dave
              • Aug 2003

Well here is the answer to the Jackie Gleason question. How could a man that never learned to read music could record so many albums ? Gleason would sit at the piano for hours single fingering melodies. Then being Jackie Gleason, he paid a musical director to take musical dictation. Apparently this was,nt always an easy process, and Gleason would howl at the director, THATS NOT IT!!!! LISTEN!!! until they too could hear the sound inside his head. Talk about a frustration! anyway there you go. If you are interested in hearing some of his music, there is a real nice 2 cd set entitled, Jackie Gleason ----- The Romantic Moods Of- Jackie Gleason on, Capitol CD # CDP 7243 8 52541 2 3. Well this thread seems to be dying. If you guys ever want to start this up again let me know. I,ve learned some Very interesting things, hope you have to. So Long... :P by the way the name of his best known song is Melancholy Serenade, also the theme song to his TV show.... AND AWAY WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave
              Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Coming from someone who didn't even know that Jackie Gleason was a musician, this IS extremely interesting. Probably won't get any of his recordings, but will take a listen online to what his orchestra sounded like. Good one Dave.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Oh, and back to Chris's question regarding Phil Keaggy. I know this isn't probably what you're looking for, but he does a heck of a job making his guitar sound like a bunch of bagpipes on Amazing Grace. Another thing I've learned is that he once recorded a Beatlesque CD where he and his band bought old guitars/amps to duplicate the sound and even got a hold of one of Ringo's old drum sets.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Aw, I missed the opportunity to jump in with Gleason. If any of you like mellow music, his stuff is fabulous. What always made his lps stand out for me was his use of a trumpet soloist. Sometimes the sound of that horn was haunting. One of my favorite cuts is BODY AND SOUL.

BTW, the trumpet player Gleason used was Bobby Hackett.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

George, I suppose that's better than BUDDY Hackett playing?

I'm a trumpet player, and really appreciate good playing. One of my favorites is Phil Driscoll, who has a few songs that I love just cranking up to full volume on my system.

OKAY, the final answer to my "best guitarist in the world" questions. The thing that makes Phil Keaggy unique as a guitar player is that he only has ***9 fingers***!!! This guys that Eddie Van Halen says is the best guitarist in the world plays better than those with 10 fingers. (and he didn't even appear on Rolling Stone's list, as also posted here!)

CHRIS
                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Hey, Chris. I too am ( or was ) a trumpet player. I played around a lot in my younger days in the 50s and 60s. I was pretty much a pickup musician because I read music and often got gigs with dance bands as 2nd or 3rd trumpet. But most of all I liked playing with a small group at weddings, New Years, etc. Do you play with a group ? Probably hard to find time with your military career and all.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

After having now bought two of Keaggy's CD's, he could wipe the floor on many of the guitarists on the top 100 list.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• dave
                            • Aug 2003

The Moody Blues........................... Can anyone tell me who the lead singer was on thier 1st hit??????? and what the name of the song was??????? :P

dave
                            Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hmmm, I take it that it wasn't Justin Heyward? Was the original "hit" Tuesday Afternoon?

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

We don't need too many of these 4-5 day lulls. I'm expecting you guys to keep me in musical suggestions now. This thread is becoming my "play list". A new group gets mentioned and off I go to listen. Excellent, excellent stuff y'all.
                                ;x(

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Are we talking about the singer who took the lead on "Go Now". That might not be the exact title. I loved his singing and loved the song. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• dave
                                    • Aug 2003

Well, David, im sorry to say but Tuesday Afternoon & Justin Hayward are incorrect. However,,, the song Tuesday Afternoon, along with Nights In White Satin are off the 1st effort they had, as the revamped version of this band. And Keith, Go Now is the correct answer to the last part of the question. So,,,,,,,, how about a clue? When I used to own my 68 AMX it was a lot of fun to cruise in the same Lane with all the other classic cars. :P

dave
                                    Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

Well, from your clue, I'd guess Denny Laine, the guy who played with Beatle Paul in Wings and also the guy who, I think, did Man of Constant Sorrow in Ginger Baker's group Air Force, which I still have on vinyl somewhere...I think.

If this is right, I'm amazed. Would have never guessed that was the same guy who sings Man of Constant Sorrow (which I also love) and Go Now. Knew who Denny Laine was, never knew he was the guy who once sung for the Moody Blues.

Talk about not putting two and two together.

Keith
                                      Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Sep 2002

Until we find out the answer to Dave's question, I will try to satiate David's quest for trivia. Here's a good one I think: Before recording Wild Horses, the Rolling Stones sent the record off to another group to see how they'd perform the song. What group was that and why did the Rolling Stones want to hear how this group's version of the song would go before, they themselves, recorded it?

Keith
                                        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Sep 2002

Here's another one, but, I think, easier. When he was but a teen, Rod Stewart, decided he wanted to imitate one singer and practiced for many a moon trying to sound like the singer he admired. Who was that singer?

Keith
                                          Keith

Comment

• dave
                                            • Aug 2003

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Keith, all ten are yours. Pretty amazing to see that he was with the Moodys @ one time !!! Here are the original liner notes on the London Lp THE MOODY BLUES, Here we sit in a warm black room the whining silence is the stage, mad marionettes dancing in the pitch, then the coolness came the sounds of blues came mellow calling,,, it moved me to somewhere else. The MOODY BLUES turned me on to thier music that night. Thier writing has all the sensitiveness an' feeling that makes music cool to listen to. The tracks on this L.P will show the sort of scene they have got going. You will probably call it contemporary blues- it could be better if you want it to be it does,nt matter just let it pass through you. DONOVAN Excellent job Keith :P

dave
                                            Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                              • Aug 2003

Well Keith, Im stumped on both questions. Im going to try for #2 though, Was it Ray Charles? maybe ? :?

dave
                                              Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Sep 2002

Nope, not the great Ray Charles. If nobody gets the questions by tomorrow afternoon, I'll give some clues.

Keith
                                                Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                  • Aug 2003

Alright, Clues are a good thing :P :P :P

dave
                                                  Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Sep 2002

Clues for Question 1 above:

The name of the group has a popular Mexican food in it.
                                                    The leader of this group mentored Emmylou Harris and is the one who advised her to sing country styled songs, as opposed to rock.

These guys were hippies who played country music. Although some were pretty famous from being members in another big group of the time. They're widely credited with being the first country rock group. They'd go into country bars of the time and with all the animosity between the hippies and cowboy folk over the Vietnam War, there were threats and bottles tossed their way. Then, they'd start playing and all friction would melt away. The leader is cited frequently by country stars of today for being a major influence.

Clues for Question 2 above:

Rod Stewart has recorded songs by the one he emulated.
                                                    He was first popular as a gospel singer, then went solo and is one of the ones credited with being one of the founding fathers of soul music. He died in 1964 after being shot by a hotel manager. At his funeral:
                                                    "At the Mount Sinai Baptist Church in Los Angeles, a crowd of 5,000 persons, some of whom arrived five hours before the scheduled last rites, over-ran facilities designed to accommodate 1,500. In an emotion packed atmosphere, super charged by the singing of Lou Rawls, Bobby Blue Bland and Arthur Lee Simpkins, women fainted, tears ran down men's cheeks and onlookers shouted. Gospel singer Bessy Griffin, who was to appear on the funeral program, became so grief stricken she had to be carried off. Ray Charles stepped in from the audience to sing and play 'Angels Keep Watching Over Me'."

Keith
                                                    Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                      • Aug 2003

For Question # 2 are we speaking of Sam Cook??????? I know he was a gospel singer and died tragically in 1964... What a HUGE loss that was. AS for Question #1 Emmylou Gave that away,,, That has got to be The Flying Burrito Brothers... Thats some cool trivia about Wild Horses, Have any more imfo. on that? :P

dave
                                                      Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                                        • Aug 2003

Here comes another one,,, In 1966 The Outsiders Had a top 10 hit on thier hands with a tune called, Time Won't Let Me, The lead singer of this band decided to go solo, and then returned to the Charts with another Smash Hit . Can anyone name the title of of that 70s hit & also name the band that recorded it??? :P

dave
                                                        Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Sep 2002

Another huge smilie is awarded to Dave.

Regarding the Burrito Brothers, the Stones wanted to know how to make the song more country and sent it to the Burrito Brothers to do a demo, country style, to give them an idea. I love Graham Parsons work by himself, with the Burrito Brothers, and with the Byrds.

Keith
                                                          Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

Thanks for the huge smiley Keith , those were very good clues :P Let me put one more question up. Emitt Rhodes has been in the music industry for a very long time he has often been compared to Paul McCartney with his style. Heres the question, What was the name of the group that Rhodes was involved in the 60s? (they also had 2 minor hits here on the west coast) :P

dave
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Sep 2002

Sorry Dave...once again clueless in Elk Grove.

Keith
                                                              Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                                • Aug 2003

There will be some clues tomorrow afternoon if no one figures them out

dave
                                                                Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Duh, I feel weally weally tupid wight now. . . :

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                  Our "Theater"
                                                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Okay, I'll ask a simple one. What songwriter/artist/actor wrote Janis Joplin's hit (Me and) Bobbie McGee?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                    Our "Theater"
                                                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Sep 2002

Kris Kristoppherson. I own both CD's.

His songs, especially the lyrics, were wonderful!

Keith
                                                                      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Jeez Keith, that one lasted all of 4 hours! ;x(

Clues! We need clues!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                        Our "Theater"
                                                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003

Clues, you shall have. For #1 About 5 months ago Becky & I Got a puppy 2 months old. The photographs of that puppy are very Precious to us. For # 2 When I was a kid one of the things I enjoyed playing on was the merry go round. :P

dave
                                                                          Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Sep 2002
                                                                            • 1584

Still have no clue on the first, but if the second is Merry Go Round, then your clue was great.

Keith
                                                                            Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 434

Question # 2 has been solved. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) The Merry Go Round It is . If any of you out there has a chance to hear any of Emitts, Material and enjoy Paul McCartneys solo stuff, this music is somthing you might enjoy. :P

dave
                                                                              Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 8938

Originally posted by dave
                                                                                The photographs of that puppy are very Precious to us

The only thing that comes to mind is Precious And Few? Even if that's right, I still couldn't tell you the singer. . . :banghead:

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                                Our "Theater"
                                                                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

.

Comment

• dave
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2003
                                                                                  • 434

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) David I am going to give it to you on the basis of knowing the title of the song Precious & Few the name of the band? "Climax" they had another minor hit with Life & Breath. Well- on to the next question. In 1972 Joe Walsh Quit The James Gang to start his new band. What was the name of the Legendary Group? and also what was thier 1st Lp titled? Once again good going David!!! :P By the way the Name of the Singer in Climax? "Sonny Geraci"

dave
                                                                                  Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 8938

Well, Joe formed The Barnstormers but they only put out one album - a self-titled work, and he then went solo. He joined the Eagles around 1975-76 as a replacement for Bernie Leadon, who left (and wound up performing gospel, maybe?). The Eagles' next album was - their all time best one, IMHO - Hotel California.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                                    Our "Theater"
                                                                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

.

Comment

• dave
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 434

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) David you are up on your trivia!!! Heres the story,,, Guitarist , Joe Walsh reportedly quit the James Gang because he was less interested in carrying a power trio with his soloing than in adding keyboards to the band and experimenting with a more layered soumd. BARNSTORM, Walsh's blueprint for an ideal band, involves Piano, Organand Guitar interlacing through a spectacular, languorous progression without sacrificing rock intensity, and may well turn out to be his only representative album. Good job David. :P

dave
                                                                                      Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 8938

Awwww Dave, :thanku: you just happen to ask some questions I know the answers to, that's all. I'm kind of a fan of the Eagles and the individual members. The funny part of this is that I've never heard Barnstorm. :huh:

Well, with yesterday's "Tuesday releases" in DVD and this thread, off to Best Buy I go.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                                        Our "Theater"
                                                                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

.

Comment

• dave
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                                          • 434

You know David, there a probably quite a few people who don,t know about this short lived band. By the way the name of the 1st and only if im not mistaken album is entitled, Barnstorm............

dave
                                                                                          Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                                            • 434

Here's another one, What song by the Rock-N-Roll band "Spirit" had a direct influence on the writing of one of the Hits that the Mega group "Led Zeppelin" did and what was the name of that Zeppelin tune?

dave
                                                                                            Dave...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"