X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I should know this, being a fan of both. I took out some Spirit this morning and am going to venture a guess of Taurus by Spirit and Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin because I know Taurus was recorded first and the accoustic guitar line sounds very similar.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• dave
      • Aug 2003

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P There ya go Keith, heres the story behind this. Randy California had one sole contribution to Spirits First self titled album, the tune was called "Taurus" this tune would have an impact on another group from the 60s "Led Zeppelin" which formed a year later in 'England'. If you listen to the introductions of both tunes you can hear a distinct simularity between the two. California said that in those early years of 68 or 69 those guys used to sit in the front row of all "Spirits" shows and the two bands became friends. California said if they wanted to use that part of "Taurus" its ok with him. and "Stairway To Heaven" went on to be one of the greatest rock anthems of all time. Excellent job Keith.

dave
      Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Thanks for the insight Dave. Hadn't thought of it for a long time, but I used to get mad at Led Zeppelin for stealing the notes from Spirit. Now that I know they were friends, that's another matter altogether. More like a tribute to spirit. I don't know if you remember, but I saw Led Zeppelin when they first landed on these shores, right after their first album. The place was like a high school gym, really small. Can't remember exactly how long after this that I went to Spirit's farewell concert at the Santa Monica Civic. The reason I bring this is that your post makes me wonder if Led Zeppelin was in the audience. I know Neil Young was as he came out and did some Dylan tunes with Spirit before he and Randy California started physically shoving each other on stage. Apparently, California didn't want Young taking the limelight at their farewell concert. Heard Bob Dylan was backstage ready to come out, but after the scuffle(s) decided against it. The Dylan thing is only the rumor that was going on at the time. Don't know if it's fact, but I do recall that Dylan, Young, and Spirit all lived in Topanga Canyon at the time, or at least I think they did. Anyway, of all the hundreds of concerts I've been to, that was easily in the top five. I even remember when California's amp blew and Jay Ferguson just went to the piano and played a beautiful version of, I think, the song was called, "Darling If" or "Darling You", until all the technical difficulties were fixed. Sorry for rambling on, but it was a special memory.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

I really enjoy hearing about the different things that have happened in the past, to different people. You're post Keith is IMHO what this thread has been all about, Thanks for sharing that with us. :P

dave
          Dave...

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

I just read this entire thread from beginning to end, You guy's put out some
            excellent trivia here. If you ever want to go at this one again, count me in!!!
            I,m sure that there are new members that can add to the list.

Regards, Dave...
            Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I thinking Dave. :B
              Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

All righty then. In live concerts Garth Brooks would play a long organ intro right before the group performed "Chest Fever". Although called "The Genetic Method", it was actually inspired by the work of another composer. Who? No google searches you guys!!! :a>
                Keith

Comment

• dave
                  • Aug 2003

Hmm, Well Keith I know the song "Chest Fever" quite well and I do know of several artists that have done it in the past, however "Garth Brooks" is not one of them that I am familiar with!!

Hanging totally CLUELESS

Regards and good hearing from you!!!

Dave...
                  Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

The Garth here is Garth Hudson of The Band. Sorry, I forgot to put that in there. :E
                    Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Okay, I'm confused. Garth Hudson was definitely with the group called The Band, but is that the answer? I do know Chest Fever, but I'm not familiar with the other one. Unfortunately, I didn't follow The Band very closely.
                      Last edited by David Meek; 13 May 2004, 08:44 Thursday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

On their live shows, Garth Hudson came out from a long solo spin on his organ, right before doing Chest Fever. After a while, fans of the band came to expect it.

Here's a clue: It is a classical composer.
                        Keith

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Ok, I'll play, what band was engulfed in flames on an album cover. The album is no longer available with flames. Anyone tell me who, and why, and even tougher, how long was the original copy out on the shelves?

Way to easy for some, maybe impossible for others.

Lex
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Next a multiple choice question.

What music did Elvis play at the very start of his career?

A. Rock and Roll
                            B. hillbilly
                            C. jazz
                            D. blues
                            E. RAP
                            F. Gospel
                            G. Acid Rock
                            H. None of the above.
                            Doug

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

I'll tell you one thing, I'm dying to know the answer to your first one, because I'm totally clueless.

I'm going to guess gospel for the second one because I know Elvis had a highly religious upbringing. I'm thinking, like Sam Cooke, he probably grew up with a lot of gospel and later branched out.
                              Keith

Comment

• dave
                                • Aug 2003

Howdy All,,, The answer to Lexes first question is ,,,,,,,
                                "Lynard Skynard" the LP was Street Survivors and I think it was on the shelf for only 1 month before being pulled off the shelf and given a new cover design (the one we are all familiar with today)

Now keith you're question, is the answer "Bach?????"
                                I'm pretty sure that it is. I've never heard the version you're describing,
                                however another band called "Sugarloaf" did thier version on thier 1st Lp
                                and the lead in to "Chest Fever" was called "Bach Doors Man" it's a nine minute long extravaganza!!!

Regards,,, Dave...
                                Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                  • Aug 2003

O.K Im going to toss one out.

What do the two bands "Lynard Skynard" and "The Strawberry Alarm Clock"
                                  have in common??? The Strawberry Alarm Clock" had a pretty good hit in the
                                  late 60s with Incence and Peppermints. Heres a few of the lyrics,
                                  Good sense innocence cripplin mankind dead things many things I can define
                                  and so on..............

Have Fun with this One!!!
                                  Regards,,, Dave...
                                  Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2002

And da winna isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Dave. It was Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor. No idea as to the answer to your question Dave, but I will mention that Strawberry Alarm Clock played a lunch time concert at my high school. Go Palisades!!! We were also lucky enough to have Albert King for junior prom and, hold onto your seat Dave....the Flying Burrito Brothers (with Gram Parsons) for senior ball. How's about that for luck?
                                    Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Jeez Keith, that was some high school! :T

I'm guessing that Elvis started out as a gospel singer. In fact, I've got a couple of his gospel albums (vinyl) that my dad gave me - His Hand In Mine and How Great Thou Art.

Comment

• dave
                                        • Aug 2003

Wow Keith!!! that had to be the best that you could have imagined,having
                                        performers of that caliber playing at your high school!!!
                                        YOU LUCKY DAWG!!!
                                        I am gonna give it a bit of time before the answer is revealed to my Question
                                        in hopes that someone can throw out the answer...

Regards,,, Dave...
                                        Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Okay Dave, once again you've stumped me. I'm not familiar with The Strawberry Alarm Clock. :M

Can we start a remedial version of this thread? :

Comment

• dave
                                            • Aug 2003

Ed King was Involved with the "Strawberry Alarm Clock" back in the 60s
                                            the band "Lynard Skynard" used to open for the "Strawberry Alarm Clock"
                                            when Skynard was still in it's infancy. Ed King after a show said to Skynard that if the band ever had a slot open up, to remember him. Leon Wilkeson
                                            just prior to Skynards 1st release decided to quit the band he recalled that he had Haunting Premonitions about (making it big) so Ronnie Van Zant
                                            recalled Ed King and tracked him down living somewhere in the south.
                                            Later on of course Leon Wilkeson returned to the band and King was moved up to playing Guitar and thus forming the Three Axe Attack. Another interesting tidbit is the individual who produced that 1st Pronounced LP the same person also played on one of the tracks and adding some additional texture to the LP. Can anyone possibly name who that Famous Producer was???
                                            Sorry for putting you through :M :M :M David as I am just trying to add some
                                            insight to the Music that so many of us enjoy. Peace... Dave...
                                            Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Sep 2002

Once again, clueless in Elk Grove. :E
                                              Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

No problem Dave! I should have used the :?? icon instead of the :M

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Was the producer Al Cooper? Maybe?

Comment

• dave
                                                    • Aug 2003

YOU BETCHA!!!! Al Kooper was the producer of Lynard Skynards (pronounced)
                                                    LP the man also played the mellotron on Tuesdays Gone as well as cleaning up some of the tracks. The one track that really stood out on the platter
                                                    was "FreeBird" when the band was asked if they could condense "Freebird"
                                                    down to 3 Minutes they said No, let them have the other tracks on the Lp,
                                                    besides "Freebird" has always went over well live!!! from the very beginning
                                                    this band really had alot of Moxie!!!
                                                    Congratulations David!!!

Regards, Dave...
                                                    Dave...

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

Lynard Skynard is correct Dave. I remember the time period as 2 weeks on teh shelf. I could be wrong on that. Why was it changed, nobody really answered that?

Danbry is correct, Elvis did start with Gospel music.

Lex
                                                      Doug

Comment

• Glen
                                                        • Dec 2003

Lex, this is what I was thinking for your first question.

It kinda fits. It was a limited release compiling three of thier albums in one set.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Man...you guys are really smokin' in this thread. I am going to "sticky" it.
                                                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

Does anyone remember the Pop group of the 60s, "Tommy James & The Shondells"??? if you do you might be able to guess the answer to this question.
                                                            why were'nt "Tommy James & The Shondells" at the Rock-n-Roll festival
                                                            WOODSTOCK????
                                                            was it,
                                                            A. Not interested?
                                                            B. Out of the Country at the time?
                                                            C. Unaware that the Concert was going on?
                                                            D. Broke up at the time?
                                                            E. None of the above?

Regards,,, Dave...
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• Glen
                                                              • Dec 2003

Dave.

It's : A

In 1969, Tommy and the group regrettably turned down the offer to perform at the original Woodstock Festival when his booking agent described the event as "...a stupid gig on a pig farm in upstate New York."
                                                              Sorry, I cheated - got it off their web site :B Thought the qoute was funny though.

Tommy James & The Shondells

Comment

• dave
                                                                • Aug 2003

No problem Glen, Can you imagine how they felt after the concert was over???
                                                                they missed out on the biggest Rock-n-Roll event ever!!!
                                                                Congratulations on this one.

Regards, Dave...
                                                                Dave...

Comment

• Glen
                                                                  • Dec 2003

Dave, I guess D'oh! would be putting it mildly. :B

Comment

• dave
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Alright here's another one,
                                                                    Remember the 60s group "Canned Heat"???

A. What was the lead singers nickname?

B. What ever became of him???
                                                                    Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Sep 2002

Bob "The Bear" Hite, I think
                                                                      I know he died, probably of a heart attack. He was pretty overweight and didn't lead a vegetarian lifestyle or anything.

I know I loved their music and was able to see them live once. Still looking for the compilation that has all of my favorite songs. Hey, I'll go look now.
                                                                      Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

Keith Ol' buddy,,,

You are partially correct,
                                                                        part two of the question "he had a heart attack" is true.
                                                                        can you come up with his name and what his nickname was???

Regards,,, Dave...
                                                                        Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Sep 2002
                                                                          • 1584

Wow, I thought I was right about the first part and unsure about the second. Good one, Dave. :T You got me stumped here. I guess I could go dig out my old Canned Heat vinyl album, but that's too labor intensive. Looking forward to the answer.
                                                                          Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 434

I will let it sit for abit Keith,, to let someone else try for PT.1
                                                                            I am going to give you 5 smilies for comming up with PT. 2 of the question
                                                                            :P :P :P :P :P

Heres another one to ponder over in the meantime,,,
                                                                            Remember the "Easybeats" they had an International hit in 1967 with
                                                                            "Friday On My Mind" here's the lyrics, Monday morning feels so bad
                                                                            everybody seems to nag me, coming Tuesday I feel better, even my old man looks good, Wedensday just don't go, Thursday go's to slow, I've got Friday on my mind, Chorus... It's gonna happen in the city I'll be with my girl she's
                                                                            so pretty, she looks fine tonite , she is outta site to me!!!! and so on......
                                                                            anyway, when the Australian band decided to call it a day two of the bands members Harry Vanda & George Young helped to pioneer a 70s Supergroup.
                                                                            Can anyone tell me what the name of that group was???
                                                                            Dave...

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 520

Alex, what is.......AC/DC?
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 8938

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                                                                1) Initials standing for Alternating Current/Direct Current - the two kinds of electrical current.

2) A hard rock band out of Australia.
                                                                                .

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10809

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                                                                  LOL David, I think NMyTree was "answering" the prior question in Jeopardy style... good answer anyway.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2004
                                                                                    • 520

Thank You , Alex.

Alex, I'll take " Obscure 70's bands, named after fruits.......for $500.00"

:B
                                                                                    Tony

Comment

• dave
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 434

Good job, Nmytree,
                                                                                      Heres 10 smileys AC/DC is the correct answer.

We still don't have an answer to the "Canned Heat question...
                                                                                      Dave...

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2004
                                                                                        • 520

Thank You :B

I believe it is Bob "The Bear" Hite. I'm pretty sure about that.
                                                                                        Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 8938

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                                                                          I think NMyTree was "answering" the prior question in Jeopardy style...
                                                                                          Hehe, yeah. I was just being a smarta**. :
                                                                                          .

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                                            • 520

If I may, I'd like to go back to my Jeopardy style question, and pose a question/answer to my catagory question. :B

" Alex, I'll take Obscure 70's bands, named after fruits.......for $500.00 "

Despite what the title of one of this bands hit singles may indicate, they were not an Overnight Sensation. But it wasn't long before the Lead Singer found himself...........All By .....himself.

Anyone?:B
                                                                                            Tony

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"