X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Scene It DVD Game

(this seemed like the best forum to post this)

This is one of the few family board games that utilizes or is based on a DVD movie. It's played in the fashion of many current games, where you roll a die to determine what category of trivia you'll be answering.

Several categories use card-based trivia questions, but there are two categories that are DVD based. One gives asks various styles of questions to a single player, giving him/her the only chance to answer. The other category asks questions in various styles, but any player can answer and the one to get it right first wins. Questions are accompanied by a video or picture clip of some kind. Sometimes the questions will ask details about the clip the viewer just watched, other times it's just other trivia about the video clip like "When Harry Met Sally", who directed this movie? Other times you'll have to guess who a star is based on a childhood picture or be given clues about an actor or name and have to figure out the answer.

This game is great. Not only is it fun, but it's a fantastic concept. Rules can be read and demonstrated on the DVD, instead of having to read the hard copy. A timer is included on the DVD, so that just by pressing play, the timer will count down on the screen while a player thinks about a card-based question. You can even select the time length for the timer.

I bought this game a while ago, and have been saving it for when we had friends over so that it wasn't just my wife and I playing. It was great, and I wish I had broken it out several months ago. After playing, (I won, of course) we just sat around and tried other video trivia questions for fun.

Overall, a great game that I highly recommend. Gripes would be first the price, $49.99 retail, and a somewhat limited question bank. Only one box of trivia cards and one DVD is included for that price, and while it will take you a while to repeat, it will happen, and perhaps quicker than other trivia games. The game seemed to go rather fast, too, even on the "long" version, because players always advance their pieces at least a little bit, even if you get the answer wrong.

The company is putting out sequels and other versions of the Scene It game, which I'll probably end up buying, too. I would recommend this game! http://www.sceneit.com

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I forgot to add, I found that the questions really varied in difficulty. A little more uniformity would be nice. Some were very obvious, asking about current and VERY mainstream movies like the Matrix, Star Wars, etc. Others were asking for the director of "Red River Valley", which I've never even heard of.

Oh, well. I still won.

CHRIS
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That's pretty cool Chris. Now I've got something to put on my "presents" list.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Chris, my wife has been hinting that she's interested in getting this game ...since you have given it a :T We'll probably be picking this one up in the not too distant future 8)

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Just to let everybody know!
          This was the hottest selling game
          during this last Christmas season.
          Trivial Pursuit DVD was right behind.

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I've heard that the Trivial Pursuit DVD game is pretty good too. The only review I've read from someone that has tried both said that each has it's ups and downs.

CHRIS
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"