• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

More on Miles!

I went jazz shopping tonight! Yeah!

I went all out and after cruising the Miles box sets settled on a 4 disc set from Columbia entitled The Definitive Overview of Miles Great Columbia Years Come on, 4 discs, and it's an overview? Tell me it ain't so! Seriously, I think it's a bit more than an overview. The first CD from the set blew me totally away. Even some previously unreleased material, and a cut off an album that is "OUT OF PRINT" that was well, awesome! That cut number 9 is I thought about you, recorded in France in 1963. Followed by cut number 10, an alternate take of Someday My Prince Will Come.

The list of greats is so well, great on this CD, we might have to enlarge "In Tune" just to list em all! Seriously, let's hit the high notes:

Julian Cannonball Adderley
    Gary Bartz
    Harvey Brooks
    Ron Carter
    Paul Chambers
    Kenny Clarke
    Jimmy Cobb
    Billy Cobham
    George Coleman
    John Coltrane 8)
    Chick Corea
    Jack Dejohnette
    Bill Evans
    Gil Evans Orchestra
    Victor Feldman
    Al Foster
    Red Garland
    Herbbie Hancock
    David Holland
    Keith Jarrett
    Elvin Jones
    Philly Joe Jones
    Wynton Kelly
    Dave Liebman
    John Mclaughlin
    Marcus Miller
    Hank Mobley
    Airto Moreira
    John Scofield
    Wayne Shorter
    Mike Stern
    Colin Walcott
    Lenny White
    Tony Williams
    Joe Zawinul
    and well others!

Ok, I listed everyone they listed. Now that I have your attention, I might add that this 4 CD set is 100% 24 bit digital remastered!!!

I am now on CD number 2, and wow, this is a real treat. If the next 2 are this good, well, I have a CD set that's worth at least 75 bucks, maybe priceless, for a mere 33.00. How the hell can I go wrong? Retail was actually 36.99. But well, what a bargain at that!

But well, I didn't stop there, I picked up a supplemental Miles CD called Round About Midnight. This CD has the dubuous distinction of being Miles first Columbia CD. I am figuring Columbia picked up Miles after he went well, platinum, and everyone realized his genious. I admit I was drawn to this one because John Coltrane is on it as well as Miles. They are just such a magical combination, I tell ya. Nothing fills the mix of miles trumpet better than john's sax!

The box set has a little documentary included which I was reading some. For example, did you know that Miles had a Heroin addiction problem that started in 1949. hard to imagine, someone addicted to heroin way back then. But I guess in the profession he was in, around the clubs and such, anything that existed likely came his way. Miles was able to kick this addiction himself before 1954, when he did get serious about music again. Lucky for us.

Anyway, back to CD # 2 of the box set, and up to cut 2 (long cuts), it sure hasn't disappointed either.

How's that John? :W

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lex, where'd you pick this set up for $36? C'mon, give!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

It was a local place called "Disc Exchange". They specialize in used CDs, trade ins, that sort of thing. Though all my CDs were new. I don't hesitate to buy used, just not much used in Miles Davis and John Coltrane stuff right now. Also they sell and trade DVDs. though their pricing has never been that great on DVDs. Music, it seems to vary, but they are fairly competitive in the jazz section. Most important of all, they are on my side of town, which is RARE for anything, lol. Actually, they have 1 more location, but I think my store here is the largest.

TONS of all Miles Davis CDs and John Coltrane are priced a mere 12.00. Making them some of the best values in music today, IMO. I was cruising Amazon, and CD Now, they too have some good deals, but I didn't see this set for sale on either site.

I may be able to pick up one more, if they have it, and you can't find it David. It is a jewel for sure. I have now listened to all 4 CDs, and LOVED them all. Number 4 gets down, gets funky, gets abstract, and improvish with guitar work even. Pretty wild stuff.

Disc 3 about blew me away yet again, even before I got to 4. I may have well liked disc 3 best. OMG, I have to go through the entire set again to find out what I did like best! LOL. Oh, the pain of it all.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Lex, it's sad to see you suffer so.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yeah Lex, you shouldn't have to suffer like that. Tell you what, just ship them to me and I'll do the labor for ya!!! :B :-y

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"