What? New music from John Coltrane? Miles Davis even?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

What? New music from John Coltrane? Miles Davis even?

Mr. Coltrane, one of the greatest if not the greatest jazz sax players to have ever lived has been gone for 38 years, but as per this article, he has CDs at or about the top of the charts today...

Reprinted here in text format so when the article does go away, we still have the content:

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- In a surprising development, saxophone trailblazer John Coltrane accounted for two of the top three jazz albums last week, 38 years after his death.
    The two-disc Impulse! set "One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note" entered at No. 3 on Billboard's top jazz albums chart for the week ended October 16. Sitting at No. 2 was Blue Note's recently released album by the Thelonious Monk Quartet with Coltrane, "At Carnegie Hall."

The Half Note album bowed with sales of 3,500 units (and went on to sell 2,400 in its second week), while the Carnegie Hall package has moved 44,000 to date. The latter title recently racked up an amazing 11-day run at No. 1 on Amazon.com's album best-seller list.

Both collections were hitherto unreleased officially. The Impulse! package -- a steaming 1965 live set at New York's Half Note club with his classic '60s quartet of McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones -- was much bootlegged among Trane aficionados; in the early '90s, Coltrane's son Ravi unearthed a pristine tape made for the musician by DJ Alan Grant. That tape is the source material for the present CD release.

The Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall album -- one of the few documents of the brief collaboration between two jazz titans -- had never been heard before. A Voice of America tape of the long-lost 1957 concert was found in the Library of Congress' holdings by researcher Larry Appelbaum.

'I think it is the legend'
    High-quality unreleased material by Coltrane, who died of liver cancer in July 1967, has trickled out over the years.

The lone live recording of his masterpiece "A Love Supreme" finally was issued officially by Impulse! in 2002. In July, Columbia/Legacy released a previously unheard 1956 concert by the Miles Davis quintet with Coltrane as part of a two-CD edition of Miles' Columbia debut "'Round About Midnight."

But the near-simultaneous release of the Half Note and Carnegie Hall sets made for a Coltrane event. "(The music) was not just ghettoized in jazz magazines," says Tom Evered, senior VP/general manager of EMI Jazz & Classics, Blue Note's parent division.

Says Ken Druker, VP catalog development at Impulse!: "The (press coverage) involved in finding the Carnegie Hall tape drove it a little bit. Other than that, I think it is the legend. The (Coltrane) name seems to have magic to it. ... Aside from the magic of the name, there's the magic of the playing."
    However, considering that the fare at the top of the current jazz chart is conservative material -- mainly by vocalists including Michael Buble, Madeleine Peyroux, Paul Anka, Diana Krall and Harry Connick Jr. -- the immediate success of Coltrane's uncompromising music is somewhat unexpected. The Half Note performance, which finds Trane wailing in full-bore, free-blowing fashion, might be especially challenging for some.

But album annotator Ashley Kahn, author of a book on "A Love Supreme" and a forthcoming history of the Impulse! label called "The House That Trane Built," maintains that listeners have caught up with Trane: "It's a very universal, accessible sound, even though he's one of those guys who was very intense and devoted to experimental, avant-garde sound."

The current spate of interest in Coltrane could go on, for the musician's family has uncovered even more unheard material. Kahn says: "There's a whole bunch of tapes that even the record label didn't know about. There is going to be a lot more stuff."

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Certainly, there is a finite amount of material out there from legends like Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk. It's just lucky for us, it is still being discovered and we hope is being safeguarded now for future generations to enjoy-

I would buy any CD that shares breath between Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I've never been disappointed by a collaboration of those two jazz greats. Kind of Blue is well, IMO one of the most masterful albums ever created, across all genres, across all of time. Date? 1959. Not everyone loves the CD the same way, but most everyone can appreciate it on some level.

Here is a listing of the "new" CDs highlighted from the article:

1. Thelonious Monk quartet with John Coltrane, at carnegie hall.
    2. Coltrane, One Down, One Up, Live at the Half Note.
    3. 'Round About Midnight (2 CD set, released July 05)

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex
    Thelonious Monk quartet with John Coltrane, at carnegie hall.
    Lex
    A coincidence. I listened to Thelonious Monk for the first time in 20 years at a friend's place on Friday evening. I don't listen to a lot of jazz these days, but it was great.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

jazz is about all I do listen to anymore, lol.

Kind of Blue is one of my favorite albums of all time. No matter where my spirit is when I turn it on. It can quickly settle me down, to just listening to music. A lot like Nora's first CD is to me. Other CDs have been my past favorites in this regard, like Sarah McLachlan's "Fumbling Towards Escacy. But in general, the 1959 Miles Davis/John Coltrane collaboration will always remain an all time favorite while others come and go I bet.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I will say, tough room when 2 jazz greats only gets response from 1 other person. Hmmm...
        Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Well, you can count me, Lex. Back in the good ol' days when I played trumpet, Jazz was big. And it's still big with me today. I must check the local music shops to see if that Coltrane disc is available here.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex
            I will say, tough room when 2 jazz greats only gets response from 1 other person. Hmmm...
            I agree.

I may not be into jazz these days but I think that Kind of Blue is a great album. It's one of the few jazz albums I have on CD. All the others are on vinyl.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I went through a phase where I gobbled up any music for my collection that had Davis/Coltrane combined. I'll say that I've rarely if ever been disappointed.

I've been in a bit of a funk here lately, I turn on the TV in the evenings, and it seems I don't get to my DVDs or CDs. I am not sure why. I do still listen to jazz on the local NPR station. I still watch a few movies on TV, but it's like I've had disc mania, where I just don't get the shiney things out. I told myself once my life settles down a bit, things will get better in this regard. I do know my music seriousness takes phases.

But I still enjoy good jazz, every day in some form or fashion, where possible.

I wake up to a good Christian McBride CD usually, it's like my staple. I cannot stand loud radio commercials or the like waking me up. So, I have the same CD in 2 clock radio setups. Could actually be 3, lol. I'm not as hard to wake up these days though, so I am usually awake before the first of 2 snooze buttons gets fired on.
              Lex
              Doug

Comment

• benny
                • Jan 2005

"one down, one up" was reviewed in the latest issue of Modern Drummer magazine. basically said it was a "must buy" so i'll be checking that out. Lex, is that live "A Love Supreme" available on it's own or just in one of those "extra special blah blah deluxe editions" where we have to pay for the original release again too? i'm happy with my SACD copy.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Here you go:

A love supreme came from where? LOL. I missed that in my own post apparently.
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"