X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sometimes, we are all "Kind of Blue"

Well, I done went and done it now. Always passed Miles Davis in the jazz section and thought, ahh, it's old stuff, probably not recorded to well, though I knew Miles was good.

Tonight, I searched the jazz archives of my local Disc Exchange for something to purchase. I saw one of those yellow description tags on a CD of Miles, and the tag said:

"Jazz Masterpiece
    Perhaps the most influential & best-selling jazz record ever made. The Definitive Version!

One rare bonus track added, a stunning alternate of "Flamenco Sketches".

Finest soud ever, newly mixed & 20 bit remastered

Great liner notes by Critic Robert Palmer, and original liners by Pianist Bill Evans

Rare & previously unpublished session photos.

Produced for reissue by Michael Cuscuna
    Columbia/legacy/jazz Best Value

Well, it's Miles 75 anniversary, and given all he contributed to jazz, it was time for me to give him a try. I noticed on the CD named:

Kind of Blue that John Coltrane was on the CD as well as Miles!!! I said, that's a deal maker. I know Coltrane is perhaps as widely heralded as Miles even.

I bought it, along with a used copy of Shrek, lol. Came home, ripped the celo off and fired up my Rega Jupiter. Let me just say it was fitting that it was on a Jupiter, because the sound was out of this world!

Very laid back, swingy at times, the constant tingle of the classic jazz cymbal lick often. a tight and resolute snare drum, and the awesome tonal delight of a trumpet made to sing like no other, and that Coltrane sax, is there another like it?

In short, 4 stars on this Jazz CD guys, if you don't have it, get it, you won't regret it for a second-

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Well Lex, I do love jazz and I may just check that one out. But if you were any kind of friend you could e-mail me the songs and I could burn a CD.....j/k....lol

I'm a John Lee Hooker man myself, but any good jazz/blues type music is most goodly to me.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

How about if I send it to you one note at a time?

I couldn't believe this CD was only 11.99. Talk about a bargain.

But be prepared for the rest of your collection to gather more dust.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

There's also a very good SACD release of this available. I have the most recent CD remaster as well, both are excellent.

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well Jon, that's one good SACD that's available, that's for sure. Now you got me wanting SACD just for this CD!

I guess that's it for now, no SACD for me. I am just getting out of debt, and it's a good feeling for a change to only have house, car, normal living expenses. Actually, not all the way out, but soon as tax refund comes in, I pay off 400 on 1 card that's left, and that's it, no more floating for me for a LONG time.

Lo-fi Lex
          Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Miles is hard not to like. And you happened to pick up, what is probably his best work ever.

Enjoy.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"