X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

music

Ok since not everone is into smooth jazz what music do you like and name one of your favorite examples of that style of music.

I like a lot of the easy listening stuff so my example will be

Jesse Cook, Sarah Bringham, Bond & Holly Cole, etc

I also like material from U2 (pre Rattle and Hum), as well as Queen, Dire Strights, Pink Floyd

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I know I'm going to be all over the board because of my age (65) but here goes anyway:
    Anything from the big band era, such as Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller,Count Basie, Ray Anthony, Harry James, etc. For vocalists it's Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.
    Jazz stuff from Louis Armstrong, Pete Fountain, Chet Baker, plus Dixieland stuff from Village Stompers, Jimmy Dorsey, etc.
    From the 50's, 60's 70's, 80's, I like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Beatles, Santana, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Roy Orbison, etc.
    And present day stuff like Diana Krall, Mark Knopfler, Holly Cole etc. Phewww.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot:
    I like some Country stuff, but am very picky here. Early stuff from Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, etc.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

George age has nothing to do with it I'd listen to anything you posted incl Glenn Miller (In the Mood is an awesome song!)

Comment

• Pj
        • Dec 2001

George age is a non issue here, im 37 and i really like Frankie boy, Dean Martin etc, my favs though are The Rippingtons, 3rd force, Herp Albert, Acoustic alchemy etc. But i do like Trad Jazz aswell!

Age is not a obsticle here its nice to have inputs from people with life expierence!

Lots of "old" music out there wich is real GOOD!!

BTW my dad is a trad jazz freak and has well over 4000 vinyls with "real jazz" and i like to get there from time to time and go thru all the Duke Ellington an Ella Fitz stuff!!!

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
        PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• Greg Stone
          • Aug 2000

I bounce back and forth between rock, classic rock, alternative, and heavy metal, and then take a wild swing to classical and jazz as well. About the only two major kinds of music I do not get into at all are country and rap. Different moods take me into different sections of the radio or my cd's/dvd's.

Currently have P.O.D.'s latest in my Jeep's CD player, with "Youth of the Nation" being a good song, if you like alternative. I also like a lot of 80's music, with Queensryche being a long time favorite. Pink Floyd and David Lee Roth era Van Halen also being high on my list of older artists.

Thank goodness they are a bunch of different types of music, as I would hate to choose only one kind to listen to from now on.

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'll listen to just about anything except rap, but my favorites are classic rock, rock, alternative rock, modern jazz and new age.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I also listen to just about everything. I do get very selective with country. And just can't seem to get into heavy metal at all.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

PJ,
                Glad you mentioned Dean Martin. I rank him right up there close to Frankie boy.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Lately I've been listening to a lot of new agey stuff like Enya and Enigma, especially at work (where I need all the help with stress as I can get). I'll also listen to Diana Krall at work, since her stuff isn't distracting. When I'm in better spirits I also listen to 80s pop stuff. But then I'm not fussy. At home Heather usually has the adult rock station on. I don't listen to rap, classical, most jazz, or most country.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

For me it is Blues, especially acoustic blues. Doug MacLeod, Mississippi Fred McDowel, etc. Being a product of the 60's I also like Folk music and the bands and musicians that came out of the 60's folk scene, Dylan in particular. Rock and Roll of course, then Classical, and Jazz only for background music.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Bob, you reminded me of all the Kingston Trio folk albums I have on vinyl. One of these rainy afternoons I must spin one and bring back some pleasant memories. Ahhh, isn't music wonderful?

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"