Where to learn some basics on woodworking, jigs, etc?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric_C
    • Nov 2006

Where to learn some basics on woodworking, jigs, etc?

I'm slowly figuring this out as I go but some of the things just haven't clicked yet.

I've watched a few workworking shows which are good and bad, good because they show you stuff, bad because the guy has every single tool known to man

What I am trying to do is make a back panel for an amp I built.

The box is something my wife bought at Michael's, basically its something like this:

But it doesn't have an opening lid, you take the cardboard piece out of the back.

I've cut a piece for the back already that the amp parts will mount to.

The hard part is the back plate that will have the power, circuit breaker, switch, and RCA in's located. I plan on cutting that from some 3/8th's finish wood.

What I want to do is cut out a piece in the back of the case that will match the size of the back plate I made. I chose to do it this way because it would be too difficult to make the cuts in the back of the case because of the thickness of the wood.

I was going to use the router to cut out an area .5" smaller than the actual plate, then cut that extra .5" at the 3/8th's depth. The wood is 5/8th's so that shelf left is what I will glue the backing plate to.

I have no idea how to make a jig or anything like that nor the best way to approach this.

I have kind of the same problem on the backing plate. The power switch is easy enough. I have the dimension for the hole it needs to be and can drill that out. The clips however are meant to attach to something thing and the wood will still be 5/8's thick. My plan was the use a larger drill bit and drill down until there was just about an 1/8" left. The hole would be the right size but inside it would be just an 1/8" thick in a larger circular area. The RCA jacks are similar and I plan on doing something similar but will not go as deep and probably leave a lot more material, they are just short of being able to put the nuts on.

The power plug odd shaped...do I just free hand it? Its thick enough that it'll go through and screw in.

The breaker is the same situation as the power switch except for its rectangular...how do I do that if its rectangular?

Here are some pics, sorry they are not detail shots because I took them for another reason. These were my rough mock up and layout pics I took to verify I had wired things correctly:

Images not available

You can get the general shape and hopefully understand what I am trying to do. Except for the power connector they are all snap fit.

I have available to me a router, pluge and fixed, drill, 10" miter saw, Dremel with all of the attachments plus some other misc stuff.

What I am really missing is a drill press or even a drill guide. I checked around and no one sold drill guides.

Any web tutorials for things even close to this with pictures would really help. I get things a lot easier when I see them.

Thanks...again
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:24 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

I have most every tool known to man, but I would use a simple chisel to cut out some of the items you need to insert into the wood backing - not every woodworking job requires electricity ...

As for inlaying 1 piece of wood into another - see this inlay set here:

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

- there's a link on that page for detailed "how to" instructions also. This type of kit is available from numerous woodworking suppliers.

Comment

• Clienthes
      • Dec 2006

Thanks!

I've been lurking here forever, and I was waiting to make my first post when I started my first project, but I have to thank you for posting that link to the inlay set. I never knew such a thing existed.

Comment

• gimpy
        • Sep 2004

Eric, a couple of months ago, my local home depot had a "drill guide" priced at about $35-40. I did not buy it (wished I had of). It was hard to locate, but was found high up over in the tool area above/around the saw blade/drill bit area. One of the clerks found it for me when I questioned him about it.
        I was in there the other day looking for it but didn't see it (did not ask this time, though).

Frank

Comment

• Eric_C
          • Nov 2006

We just came back from HD and Lowes. No drill guides but they told me a place in town that had them and everything else.

Also got the OK for a drill press

I found a solution to my problems. A receptacle that has power in, power switch, and 3amp circuit breaker all in one square screw in part. So no making 3 holes, just one.

I'm still reading

Comment

• WinstonSmith
            • Dec 2006

Glad you have the WAF for the drill press

Two things you get yourself. A decent set of chisels. Irwin/Marples is a good inexpensive choice. DO NOT GET the Stanleys. Irwin/Marples have blue handles and the next level up from them in terms of quality are something like Two Cherries. Nice, but expensive. The other thing (and which I would have probably used instead of chisels if I understand what you were trying to do) is get a couple rasps. BTW, NEVER buy a new Stanley tool with a cutting edge. Their tools are absolutely awful these days. I have an older Stanley #5 plane(circa 1930, and they are sweet). For hand planes go with Lie-Nieson or Veritas. Can't go wrong having a block plane by either of them, and yes you will use a block plane a LOT in cabinet making.

Comment

• Eric_C
              • Nov 2006

The wife is easy on this stuff. Five years of car racing makes this stuff look like kiddy toys

I'll print out everyones recommendations with me when I goto the store. The guy at Lowes told me a place in town where they carry quite a bit of decent wood working equipment.

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Eric_C
                The wife is easy on this stuff. Five years of car racing makes this stuff look like kiddy toys

I know what you mean - I just started motorcycling at the track this past summer - going fast at the track is very hard on the wallet.

Comment

• Eric_C
                  • Nov 2006

Paul,

Where abouts in Ontario are you?

We have a few track days we put on in Michigan and we include bikes. Might be a couple hour drive but its 8 20 minute sessions, lunch, ambulance, etc with only 15 bikes on a 2.5 mile road course. Plenty of room and very safe.

Comment

• PMazz
                    • May 2001

You might want to try laminating a thin piece of laminate or aluminum over the back plate material. You could then make over-sized cut-outs/holes in the backplate and use the dremel or drill to make your finished hole in the thinner laminate.

If you try this, I would not use solid wood for the substrate. Try 1/4" or 1/2" MDF or hardboard.

Pete
                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"