X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdybnis
    • Dec 2004

Hi-Fi in Hong Kong

I'm in Hong Kong this week. I happened upon a cluster of HiFi and hobbiest shops in Kwaloon. Here's a photo of a shop that favors accuton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hkhifi.JPG
Views:	1653
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	868021

Unfortunately the sound was just terrible. At the very least the source equipment was poor. The shop next door had a set of Tannoy GRF's and the shop on the other side had a pair of vintage Westminsters. Both shops were about 8' x 20' The sound in those shops was poor too, and extremely low resolution. Sounded like the speakers themselves were in bad condition. On the other side of the building was something like an upscale Good Guys. They mostly sold speakers in the 1k$-3k$ and hi-end receivers from Denon, Onkyo, etc. Stuff that's not too common in the US. They also had a room with some big budget items, ATC, Talon, etc. The ATC's were supurb. I can't remember what model was playing but it was one of the smaller stand mounted 3-way passives in their SMC line. Amusingly to me there was also a DVD shop that had a shelf of film caps and power supply caps they were selling.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:41 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    -Josh
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

Oh enjoy the trip!

The shop you showed above is tiny compare to what we have here but it can cost 5k just for rent each month without any problem(places aren't cheap.... especially in Mong Kok)

If you want parts for cheap(like DAC/capacitors/etc), take MTR to Shum Shui Po and A2 or C2 exits. The whole street(Apliu street) is basically selling all electronic parts. If you want a particular one. Go into the shop that's on the side. Otherwise it'd be fun to walk in the middle to look around the flea market like shops(they do have merchandise lisences and renting the place, just outdoors )

If you want finished products, try to go to the building next to the Mong Kok MTR station(Bank Center D2 exit, go out then stick to the left). The whole building is all A/V and I believe that's the place you want to go. Yes whole building of 15 levels(lower levels are restaurants but the rest is pretty much A/V stuff). I think you will be pleased there.It really depends on what you want in Hong Kong, it used to coordinate as one area/building concentrate on one particular interest(besides the malls). Otherwise most others are just a small shop opened by no one who is just in the business of selling their products.

Feel free to ask me if you need any info about anything there etc, I lived there until I was 17 :T
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check it out.
      -Josh

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"