X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Holly Cole's SHADE

I'm ashamed to admit this, especially since Holly was born in the same city as I ( Halifax ), but I don't have any of her cds. I was reading a review on her new album , Shade, a retooling of some older songs about summer. Anyone heard this yet ? Is it worth making it the first of her cds in my collection ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I haven't heard this one yet. I can tell you Holly's sound is unique to say the least. I like some of her (I own three of her CD's) work but, need to be in the mood for it or it is annoying to me.

She tends to have what I consider a dry sound most of the time. Sorta bluesy with obscure lyrics. She did a rendition of "I can see clearly now" which I think she did extremely well. And there are a few other songs here and there.

I'll try to give this new one a listen soon.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Thanks, John. Burke is also trying to find the cd as she is one of his favorite artists.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

I am also a very big fan of Holly Cole. Thanks for informing us of the new album. I haven/t been watching her career lately too. Will buy this one and take a listen.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George, I was talking to Burke and he mentioned he'd located a copy at one of our mom 'n pop shops. I don't know if he's swung by and picked it up yet, though.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I saw it here at one of the local music dens. It's only $17 so I think I'll pick it up and give it a spin. Burke sent me an e-mail and a link. Apparently she is doing a concert in Winnipeg and debuting songs from the new album, Shade.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Apparently she is doing a concert in Winnipeg
              Yeah I'm tempted to go.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

George,

I've searched a couple of the local stores here. I have yet to find one that has it. Hopefully I'll get to hear it before you purchase it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Thanks, John. I meant to pick it up Saturday, but forgot.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

I finally got my hands on a copy of "Shade". After listening to it all the way through five times now, I guess I like it. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

That's great news Burke!

Is it possible to put your finger on any one of her previous cd's that it may be like? Or does this go an entire new directions?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

With “Shade”, Holly Cole pays tribute to a wide range of jazz influences while maintaining her unique vocal style. Even as she explores a variety of jazz styles instrumentally on many of the album cuts, tracks 6, 7 and 11 are reminiscent of her earlier work on "Dark Dear Heart" or "Blame It On My Youth". With plucked bass viol, track 12 reminds me of the demo-quality bass on "Temptation".

As with all of her albums, the sound level is “hot” (loud), but the volume control effectively copes with that. Her voice and the instruments are very clearly placed in the performing space and sound “right”. This is an album you’ll enjoy for the sonics as well as for the engaging performances.

If you are already a fan, you’ll smile appreciatively at her continuing creativity. If you are already a jazz fan, but this is your first exposure to Holly, there is probably enough common ground here to get acquainted without feeling like you are venturing into totally unfamiliar territory.

Enjoy -

Burke
                        Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Thanks for the comments, Burke. This is my first Holly Cole cd. You can bet I will be buying more.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

George --

I'm glad you like "Shade" enough to plan on buying more of her albums. That's the only way to get around my only "complaint" about the album -- even though it gives us a generous helping of 12 songs running about 47 minutes, there isn't enough of it... I could enjoy listening to her for a lot longer! (That's where having 10 of her other albums comes in handy.) :>) On the bright side, there isn't a single song that I would consider "filler" and every time I've listened to the album, (I'm up to eight, now -- it really grows on you), I've listened to the whole thing all the way through. I can't pick out an individual song I'd rather hear than all the rest. – it is that well put together.

Burke

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks Burke!

I'm excited about getting it. You and George seem very satisfied (not that I expected any less 8) ) with this release. I'll be sure to add this one to my collection which thus far are: Dark Dear Heart, Holy Cole Trio (Blame It On My Youth) and The Best of Holly Cole. I have one more but can't put my finger on the title at this time. Must go and search for it now!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"