X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Emotiva Phono-PRE

Emotiva finally released their much anticipated Phono Pre. Looks pretty nice and seems to have lots of settings on it at a relatively nice price as well.

• wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Wow, that is cheap for all the features it has!
    The construction/topology does not look too bad either, imho.
    Personally, I despise Wall Warts, but for the price you could not expect anything else.
    I wonder how good it 'really' does sound, & I wonder how much better it might sound with a proper PS?
    It might actually be worth adding a PS that cost more than the pre itself & still have a set-up that can be seen as a value relative to its comparative performance.

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

There are some pretty nice DIY oriented PSU's you could build for this that wouldn't be much more than 50 bucks or so. TwistedPearAudio has one you could probably setup for this and work pretty well.

Also if you'd like to try it they do offer 30 day trial period where you can send it back for any reason you want .

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
        Personally, I despise Wall Warts
        Hold on there Bill. Wall warts can do wonderful things! :T It's all about design and implementation. With a wall wart the noisy transformer is outside the preamp box, far away from the high gain phono section that can pick up all kinds of noise. It appears from the photo you posted they've added additional power supply filtration/regulation after the wall wart which is probably regulated as well.

As Doug points out another nice thing about wall warts, is that it's easy to upgrade the power supply. Just hook up the right voltage and current rating to the jack there. A battery power supply might be a nice upgrade for it, and could be really simple
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"