X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

If I open my door I may hear the Eagles right now. They are playing downtown tonight at the Penguins new home (Consol Arena).

BTW, I lived in Frederick from '84 to '94 & truly enjoyed the access to all the great live muisc available in the DC metro area.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

Latest titles.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

I haven't posted my hauls in the last few months, but it's been quite good. This is some of it. I'll split it in two posts. I'll snap pics of the rest later.

Part 1

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

Part 2

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Hi btf,

Nice roundup! I don't see any Joe Cocker though. You got Joe Cocker? I was just listening to his 4 CD box set "Long Voyage Home." His duet with Jennifer Warnes of "Up Where We Belong" sure is nice. He's done so much good stuff though. I don't think I have him on LP though. My LP rig is down till I get a new a cart.

I noticed you also got a White Stripes LP awhile back. My dad has become quite a fan of Jack White ... says his music has power. I haven't really listened to the White Stripes much at all yet, but I can feel the kick drum through the floor when my dad plays it. I like some of what I've heard. He does tend to scream instead of sing sometimes.

Bill hasn't posted any LPs here in ages. I can only guess that he sold his LPs and turntable. Is that right Bill? :W

John
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

The fact that some people have turned back the clocks and are listening to their music via turnable and tube amps is interesting. I must admit, there was something special about a vinyl record. Mostly it's sheer size and the cover art.

Getting back to the age old argument as to what sounds better?. My opinion is a well recorded and mastered CD will outperform vinyl any day!. Many CD's out of the early 80's through to the mid 90's (Not all however!) were too digital and sterile. However as of late, that issue has been largely solved and most CD's sound dynamic and warm with beautiful soundstage and depth.

As mentioned above, if all my music was on vinyl I would listen to much less of it less often. I like to listen to certain songs in a certain order. That would entail getting up each time, lowering the volume between songs so the 'pop' of the needle hitting the vinyl would not blow my speakers etc. Not gonna' cut it for my style of music listening.

I do understand why some like the sound of Vinyl however because sometimes, less is more to some ears and preferences. And lets face it, from a technical spec point of view, vinyl is absolutely less!.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Actually I've found that a well mastered CD is generally on par with the Vinyl counter part. However one of your comments there

However as of late, that issue has been largely solved and most CD's sound dynamic and warm with beautiful soundstage and depth.
                This is just way off, there are tons of albums put out every day with terrible mastering! Then there are tons of old albums even from the 80's and early 90's that are just flawlessly mastered and are reference material. These days studio's have this idea that quality doesn't matter to the consumer it's all about being loud, unfortunately a lot of consumers feel this way as well.

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                  Hi btf,

Nice roundup! I don't see any Joe Cocker though. You got Joe Cocker?
                  Not really a fan of his work I'm afraid.

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                    I do understand why some like the sound of Vinyl however because sometimes, less is more to some ears and preferences. And lets face it, from a technical spec point of view, vinyl is absolutely less!.
                    It's a good thing I listen to music, not technical specs! 8)

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Oh I missed that comment......Actually since Vinyl is analogue I do believe it contains more data then a CD. It's closer to the amount of data contained in a SACD

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

@ Dougie085....Vinyl is NOT analog at all. It is simply a 'representation' of the original sound ( little vibrating lines of modulation read by an old school needle (100 years old spec wise!!) pressed into vinyl disc of what WAS once the original sound....like digital is one's and zero's are wise today....except a well recorded and mastered digital source does it so much better spec wise really!!.

I realize I am opening up a huge can of worms here!! :-)

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                          I realize I am opening up a huge can of worms here!! :-)
                          Yeah, and it's an endless can of worms that's been covered before here:

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30338&page=1&highlight=vinyl+rec ords

and

For the connoisseur of fine audio. Whether 2 channel or multichannel format, solid state or tube electronics, discuss it here. Also, hardware related SACD, DVD Audio, vinyl, high end speakers and audio enhancements including high end cables.
                          Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 19:51 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
                          John unk:

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            Actually I've found that a well mastered CD is generally on par with the Vinyl counter part. However one of your comments there

This is just way off, there are tons of albums put out every day with terrible mastering! Then there are tons of old albums even from the 80's and early 90's that are just flawlessly mastered and are reference material. These days studio's have this idea that quality doesn't matter to the consumer it's all about being loud, unfortunately a lot of consumers feel this way as well.

@Dougie....It's impossible that vinyl could be on par with a well recorded and mastered CD for one reason mainly. It's a little thing called 'dynamic range' amongst a few other technical improvements CD offers.

As for bad sounding modern CD's??. I really have not heard anything new that sounds bad on CD lately. However, I mostly listen to Vocal Jazz. I'm sure they are not putting a lot of care into your average Justin Bieber album since 90% of the listeners will likely be listening in MP3 format via their Ipods!!. If there are bad sounding CD's out there which there no doubt are, it's certainly not the fault of the medium anymore, but more of the care and mastering of the recording before it was pressed to CD.

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

......Oh and one last thing. The last time I spun Vinyl, I was actually quite surprised at how good it really sounded given the archaic nature of the medium!!! :-)

Hehehe.....don't flame me too much people!!! :-)

Comment

• Bob
                                • Jul 2000

I have no desire to get into the endless arguments about vinyl v.s. digital. Or tubes v.s. solid state. But, one part of the argument you see all the time is some variation of digital and solid state are new therefore, must be better.

In all things, not just audio, new technology is not always better. Quite often only cheaper. And often accompanied with b.s. propaganda campaigns to convince the public about how good it is.

Of course, the other often seen argument is that old people, i.e. people who couldn't have a clue, are caught up in nostalgia and don't have the capacity to keep up with what is new and better. While young people who are not burdened with decades of experience have the ability to always know the facts.

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Bob
                                  I have no desire to get into the endless arguments about vinyl v.s. digital. Or tubes v.s. solid state. But, one part of the argument you see all the time is some variation of digital and solid state are new therefore, must be better.

In all things, not just audio, new technology is not always better. Quite often only cheaper. And often accompanied with b.s. propaganda campaigns to convince the public about how good it is.

Of course, the other often seen argument is that old people, i.e. people who couldn't have a clue, are caught up in nostalgia and don't have the capacity to keep up with what is new and better. While young people who are not burdened with decades of experience have the ability to always know the facts.

No technology has more propaganda than audio technology !! :T

Comment

• aarsoe
                                    • May 2004

Leftfield - Rhythm & Stealth.

Awesome in terms of showing what your gear is capable of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leftfield_RhythmAndStealth.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	855849
                                    Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 19:51 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

OK folks, after a far too long hiatus due to the complete rebuild and extensive modification to my Caver C-19 pre/phono amp, I am officially back (probably much to the chagrin of many)!

We had a Record Show at the Radisson in Pittsburgh today. It’s a bi-annual event that I have attended for the third time now. If you pay extra, you can get in one hour before the opening to the ‘general public’.

They got me the first time with that scam. Never again!

Today was a bit disappointing to be honest. I did see an original pressing of the “Doors” Soft Parade but its condition did not justify the $20 asking price, IMHFO.

Still, I ended up dropping $29 on the few I could find just to validate my efforts.

I’m cleaning them now with hope that their sound quality is as good as their surface condition appears.

Name:	DSCF5654.webp
Views:	70
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	931834

Name:	DSCF5651.webp
Views:	71
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	931835

Name:	DSCF5652.webp
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	931836

Name:	DSCF5653.webp
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	931837

Name:	DSCF5650.webp
Views:	69
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	931838
                                      Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 18:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

Ha ha, I wanted to go, but sort of glad I didn't end up going all in all....if you didn't see much I wouldn't have found anything... plus not having anything to play them on would be stupid.

There's only one LP I'm thinking about getting, but it's just really way way too expensive to grab unfortunately.... I hate that they only made 2000 copies of it.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• btf1980
                                          • Aug 2007

Mixture of stuff. It never ends.

Part 1

Comment

• btf1980
                                            • Aug 2007

Part 2

Comment

• btf1980
                                              • Aug 2007

Part 3

Comment

• btf1980
                                                • Aug 2007

Part 4

That's it for now. Too tired/lazy to post the rest. Will get around to it later.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

Those Japanese pressings look V interesting!

Mingus, Jimmy Smith, Duke & Trane, some Nice Monk & the Clifford Brown who I have on Mapleshade SeeDee.

All V nice! You will need a small warehouse in Jersey soon to store all this great stuff!
                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                    • Jan 2006

Just one if my old standards.....

From Bruckeck's "Time" series, and my favorite of the lot,......

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Time further Out"

Name:	DSCF5667.webp
Views:	76
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	931802
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:27 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

There's a SERIES? I only have "Time Out"!
                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Well, thanks to you, I now have the entire "Time" box set on my Amazon wish list. :roll:
                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• btf1980
                                                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                          All V nice! You will need a small warehouse in Jersey soon to store all this great stuff!
                                                          Funny you mention that. I have some lps stored in Jersey (I live 10 minutes away from NJ) lol

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                            Well, thanks to you, I now have the entire "Time" box set on my Amazon wish list. :roll:

Sorry to add confusion to your life, Chris :
                                                            These are a few from the series, and the ones I played last night.

Dave Brubeck - A Place in Time

Name:	DSCF5665.webp
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	931803

Dave Brubeck - Time Changes

Name:	DSCF5666.webp
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	931804

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Time further Out"

While they are all great in their own right, I would rate them:

1. Time Further Out

2. Time Out

3. Time Changes

4. Then All the Rest
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:28 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
                                                              Funny you mention that. I have some lps stored in Jersey (I live 10 minutes away from NJ) lol
                                                              Well I knew you were in NYC, so I figured ......if I lived there and needed cheap storage space, it would probably be in Jersey.
                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

the Stuff

Benny & Gene

I first pronounce my bias. Being a Pittsburgh native Benny Carter is in the all-time top five IMO.

But combine Benny with Gene Harris and all hell breaks loose. Again, IMHO, no one ran the 88’s better than Gene when it comes to somehow making all the crap in life seem totally inconsequential. He just never fails to make me feel good, no matter what is happening.

This one’s on my personal short list for desert island picks.

Name:	DSCF5697.webp
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	931801
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:26 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Yesterday was his birthday.

Not that I ever need an excuse to spin MD.
                                                                  But tonight, I will be plyaing as many as can before I can't hold my eyes open any longer.

I'm starting with 'Tune Up'.
                                                                  After that, only 20+ LP's and 17 SeeDees to go.

Image not available
                                                                  Discogs Link
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 18:55 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2007

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you enjoy Miles Davis. I can't say I get his music ... just sounds like a bunch jumbled notes to me. I've only listened one of his albums that my dad has on SACD, though. Perhaps his other stuff is different.

Good luck in your listening marathon! And, Happy Birthday Miles!
                                                                    John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                                      Hi Bill,

I'I can't say I get his music ... just sounds like a bunch jumbled notes to me. ........... Perhaps his other stuff is different.
                                                                      Nawh......It all sounds the same! :E

Hey! that's OK, too! To each his own. :T

But with time comes understanding.
                                                                      I still find it amazing that there was a time many years ago when I thought single malt scotch tasted awful :W
                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Now spining......

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005

A good buddy bought this album for me, Joe Bonamassa-"Live from nowhere in particular". Three records of premium flat vinly :T . Sounds most excellent. ;x(

Name:	joe.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	856018
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 19:52 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          Jay

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 5673

Name:	41q70D6tluL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	931800

I still get on my knees and face North (towards Vintage HiFi of Pittstburgh) every time I drop the needle.

What Tom & Anders have accomplished with the mods on my C-19 simply have to be heard to be believed.

Currently spinning a pristine original pressing I picked up at 'Jerry's Used Records' in the 'Burgh'.

All is right with the world for the next few precious minutes.
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:25 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

Some long lost Dvorak.

Not the best SQ, but a solid perfomance.

Name:	41Fbo5cE3YL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	931799
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:24 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

Name:	51dY-FHX%2BRL._SL500_.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	931798

The 'Dizz' & Ron Carter are so tight here, and Joe's plucking works the groove like a $1K stylus.

A laid-back session with the 'Masters'.

The Pablo label has never let me down on recording quality, either.

I lucked out when I got this pristine used LP for $4. The former owner even put a "Last" sticker on it.
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 17:24 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2007
                                                                                  • 704

Some stuff. A few out of print Mosaic boxsets too.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 2901

Wkhanna...

I just got Bashin' - The Unpredicatable Jimmy Smith on Hi-Res Digital Vinyl... Might have to do a compare again and bring over my 840c. I've made some good improvements on the setup of how it gets transported... the only thing I'm thinking hurts it when over your place is re-running the signal through the tube pre-section... Effectively running it through twice... Either way would be interesting to see the differences we can here between your system and someone elses... ha ha.
                                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 5673

My LP is not in what I would call 'pristine' shape, but not too bad.
                                                                                      Regardless it will make for an interesting comparison.

Still, the 'proof of the pudding' will be when make our own HiRes copies on my system, then compair them to play-back of the same LP. I hope we can get time to do that soon. :T
                                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 2901

Let me know when!
                                                                                        -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 5673

Hey Atane!
                                                                                          Just want to wish you a Happy B-Day!
                                                                                          Enjoy!

:dancenana: arty: :dancenana:

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2007
                                                                                            • 704

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                                                            Hey Atane!
                                                                                            Just want to wish you a Happy B-Day!
                                                                                            Enjoy!

:dancenana: arty: :dancenana:

http://atane.net/about/
                                                                                            Thank you very much! I appreciate it. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"