Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulColbert
    • Aug 2023

Noise floor

I have been thinking about noise floor and wonder what everyone else has in their home.
    Mine is 43 db. Is this loud, quiet, average?
    Last edited by theSven; 02 April 2024, 13:43 Tuesday. Reason: Revert post to old content
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by PaulColbert
    Hello,
    I have been thinking about noise floor and wonder what everyone else has in their home.
    Honestly I don't know and perhaps someone else with more experience will chime up. What did you use to measure?
    Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I'm seeing around 36dBA, but this is at around 6 am, so probably quieter than normal. It's cooler in the morning so the a/c doesn't run as much.
      - Danny

Comment

• theSven
        Master of None
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan
        I'm seeing around 36dBA, but this is at around 6 am, so probably quieter than normal. It's cooler in the morning so the a/c doesn't run as much.
        Are yo using REW or something else to measure? Educate me here 😀
        Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I ended up buying a decent sound level meter from amazon for my REW setup, a Reed 8060. It's a direct read instrument so is sensitive to any spikes; it does not have the capability to average, but you can set it to 'slow'. There are less expensive meters that do the same thing (around $40 or so) with allegedly similar performance (with 1.5dB or so of actual). I've used Reed devices in the past for professional applications so I figured I'd splurge a bit.

It did not occur to me to use REW, but I'm not sure that type of microphone (a Dayton EMM-6 or equivalent) is best anyway since it is probably more directional.

https://www.reedinstruments.com/product/reed-r8060-sound-level-meter

Click image for larger version  Name:	reed-r8060-sound-level-meter.png Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	948668
          - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

One nice thing about living in a somewhat isolated rural community, that is, a small town with a patchwork of developments out among agricultural fields (corn or garlic or onions, anyone?) is how quiet is is, if the air HVAC is not running. When I have gone to CA this summer on a few trips to close out one storage unit, the ambient noise level at 2AM in the morning is very annoying compared to the essentially dead silence I am used to now, even during much of the day.

Of course, my measurements system is selected for wide dynamic range and very low noise, also. One should also remember that dropping the noise floor 10 dB is a large change in the absolute level, about 3.3x.

Otherwise, it would be impossible to get the distortion measurements I'm seeing on POC crossover + driver assemblies with the latest parts. Remember, I measure distortion in dB, because it is much more sensitive to exposing/diagnosing low level issues than a % scale that bottoms out at 0.1% like the bottom range for Accuton measurements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS168-9-470-DIST.png
Views:	96
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	948720

Both my Rødetest system and Pocket CLIO can confirm low ambient levels, under 30 dB. Of course, most of this is low frequency noise...
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

One other thing I find affects the "noise floor substantially is the housing build- struck pay dirt with the developer here and their construction quality for thermal design. I think a few different factors are at play in this regard...
              • 6" studs and heavy insulation in outer walls
              • deep crawl space with deep OSB floor studs and heavy insulation - when it's 5 degrees outside in the winter, walking on the bare floor with bare feet you'd swear it was spring or summer- the insulation is that good.
              • vaulted ceiling but with heavy insulation for thermals
              • Very well made doors and windows, heavy construction with argon filled double paned glass. Touching the windows in the middle of winter you'd never guess it was cold outside- never had a home with that level of windows before. Certainly not in CA. But then my CA friends with 30% smaller houses have over double the heating bills in the winter.
              I had the garage wall and ceiling construction insulated, as one of the options, but now I need to get some Dow Corning kits and do the garage doors.

the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PaulColbert
                Hello,
                It's lower than my tinnitus, so..... I guess that's a "win", of sorts. At least I'm not fighting multiple sources. 🙄
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"