X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnSC
    • Jun 2002

Sherwood Equipment

I have an opportunity to purchase a Sherwood tuner model TX5090. Does anyone have experience with this model snd with Sherwood equipment in general? How does it go for reliability?

Also, any other suggestions for a medium priced tuner?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

sherwoods one of those interesting companies that most people don't know much about and never seem to get the respect they likely deserve. Their pre amp was fairly popular back when it was released but it never made it big time...now that you can pick it up pretty cheap its likely as popular now as ever. It had a fantastic analog bypass mode which a lot of people liked. Their newer receivers have garnered positive reviews as well but they are still much more difficult to find in stores then the more popular HK, Sony, Denon etc.

I don't know much about the tuner you're asking about but I'd bet its pretty good. That said I've often read that the best tuners are those older analog ones from yeras gone by when radio was much more popular then it is now (for good reason IMO) These old tuners lack the digital station tuning etc but are very cheap and sonically superior.

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

There was a Sherwood guy who was posting over at HTF last year (Idon't go there any more), I think his name was Jeff Hipps, who said a lot of Sherwood/Newcastle's visibility problem was a poor (small) dealer network. He was working pretty hard to get a bunch of new good dealers in line.

He provided a lot of good feedback about the newer products. I have seen nothing but favorable impressions of their stuff, and I spent a few months looking into it when I was considering their new 963 HT receiver.

BB

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I cannot comment on the tuner however, I did own two of the of the 6095R receivers.

I was very surprised and impressed with how well this entry level model performed (especially in 2ch bypass). The sound was more than pleasing and the features offered was unheard of at that price level at that time.

The only reason I sold them was, I had my heart set on owning an Elite and the Sherwoods help offset the price. I would not hesitate to buy Sherwood again.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

I own the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 5-channel amp and can attest to solid build quality. Sherwood certainly has a "walmart" stigma but they are very capable of building high-quality fine pieces of equipment.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"