• Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Decision Made on new CD player

Exciting huh?

Actually, it's surrounded by one of these:

Now, I know, you folks in the SACD camp are not to happy with me about now. But this is my moment, so hear me out!

Quote from Rega's website:

Rega 24 Bit Sigma Delta IC40 DAC
    Rega IC40 DAC used in differential mode
    Separate DAC for each channel
    Rega Data regeneration process
    Rega Custom built extruded aluminium case with a high stability base
    Rega VCS case isolation system
    Multiple power supplies
    Dual regulation power supply
    High performance Sony CD Mechanism
    Toslink & Coaxial digital outputs
    CD Text Display

The Jupiter 2000 CD Player is housed in the Rega custom built extruded aluminium case and includes the heat sink base assembly to give added mechanical stability to the mechanical parts. The Jupiter also has the new top loading lid assembly. It uses the same basic circuit topology as the original Jupiter and Io but with improvements in the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter), power supply and clocking stages. The Jupiter CD player has additional sonic improvements, to provide a higher level of performance over that of the Planet.

The dual differential Digital to Analogue Converter is based around two custom built IC40 DAC chips with separate DAC's for the left and right channels. DC servo control has been used in the post DAC amplifier and filter stages thereby keeping the capacitors in the signal path to a minimum. The power supply is made up from 7 separate power supplies feeding the mechanism, PLL, DAC digital and analogue sections, micro controller, display, analogue amplifier and filter. All the stages for the clock PLL and in the signal path are double regulated. There are two physically separate raw supplies for the noisy stages (motor drivers etc.) and for the clean stages (DAC, Clock & DSP etc.). The Jupiter has a generously rated toroidal transformer with separate windings for the two raw power supplies. The signal for the Mechanism is processed by a data regeneration stage, where the Data, Bit Clock & Word Clock are realigned and then fed to the Rega IC40 DACs for conversion. The Jupiter CD player uses a high stability oscillator module for the main clock. The Master clock feeding the CD Mechanism and DSP is derived from a PLL clock stage for added stability. The Jupiter uses a high performance CDM145BL-5BD25 kit with an improved display and a better level of user functionality.

Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC)

IC40 D A C
    The new Rega IC40 DAC is a high performance 24 bit Converter. It employs a novel 64 level sigma delta DAC design which provides optimised signal-to-noise performance and clock jitter. The Rega IC40 consists of a three stage linear phase FIR filter followed by a 16x over-sampled linear interpolator, that significantly reduces high frequency images when compared to the more usual sample and hold implementation. With the 64 level sigma delta DAC the magnitude of errors induced by clock jitter are significantly reduced and this is further enhanced by switched capacitor implementation of the low pass filter, which is also insensitive to clock jitter.

It will be here Wednesday! I am really looking forward to it too!

I got a great deal in it from http://www.signaturesound.com

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lex,
    Like I said, the Jupiter would've been at the top of my list too (except for this new technology called SACD ).
    Anyway, let us now how it is. Congrats!

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well there's no denying that the rega's are realy nice CD players and I'm sure this will greatly improve your 2 channel rig

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Looks like an excellent choice. I've been very favorably impressed with my two Rega turntables (Planar 3 with Grado Platinum cartridge and Planar 78 with Rega 78 cartridge) and have had an eye on their CD players, which have garnered consistently favorable (if not down right ecstatic) reviews from owners and the "pros" alike.

For me, in configuring my system a big question is: do you use the DACs in the CD player, the DACs in the processor (receiver, preamp, pre/pro) or $eparate $tand-alone DAC$ between the player and the processor? If you've already invested in superlative DACs at any of those points, the answer is already answered. (In any case, comaprative listening can settle the issue.)

But in looking at a new purchase, then the potential upgrade in the DAC department enters the investment equation. If I were buying one of the Regas right now, I'd probably go for transport function only, since my pre/pro has superlative DACs and I'd just be wasting money on the better on-board DACs of the more expensive unit. But if were still driving the system with something like my older Yamaha DSP-A3090 (which was great for its time, but technology marches on) :>) I'd spring for the model with better DACs and be glad to pay the incremental premium for the improvement in sound. It would still be less than springing for stand-alone outboard DACs -- or buying a new pre/pro.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Burke the problem is there are very few pre amps that have better DACs built in then some of the better stand alond players or external DAC's...esp in this day of HT based pre amps.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Yes, Andrew -- I couldn't agree more. HT-centric pre/pro's usually just have "make do" DACs that, in effect, create the after market demand for stand alone DACs, or make us appreciate the built in DACs of the better players all the more. That's why the DACs (and other complementary features such as truly useful upsampling and antijitter technology) in my pre/pro help make it such an exceptional value -- I could have paid a lot more and still gotten less in those areas. And then I'd still be player-DAC-dependent, like I was with my previous pre/pro, or looking at an expensive outboard DAC unit.

I'm glad the player vendors, such as Rega, are offering units with really fine DACs built-in -- they are needed by the majority of prospective owners for exactly the reason you cite and add a lot of value to their products.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Thanks Burke! It's nice to see someone really get really excited about my purchase. (Groan!)

Actually, my Classe' CP-35 doesn't know what a DAC is, so the fine Rega 24 bit DACs are very much needed. It's my first horray into 24 bit DACs with the Classe' as I am fairly sure the Sony S7000 only sported 20 bit DACs. Now, my Lexicon does have 24 bit DACs but hasn't seen music action since the CP-35 arrived. Should be some dang fine music coming from the Classe'/Rega Jupiter combo, and my Sonus faber GPs.

The Rega will be connected to the Classe' with Silvercat Ultra-Xcess, and the Classe' to the Proceed HPA-2 with Silvercat XLR. If I really like the all silver path, I may spring for a pair of Ultra-Xcess XLRs from the Classe' to the HPA-2. Of course, if I find it's to much silver, which I don't think I will, I can always build me a pair of Bluetigers.

I am plum giddy over this, and the build quality is to die for!

Tomorrrow, tomorrow, tomorrow is the day! :B

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm sure you're going to be one proud guy tomorrow...give jesse a spin for me

Comment

• Bruce
                  • Aug 2000

Because you can never improve the digital signal or jitter with external DACs(to the CD player) or jitter reducers, isn't the best sound always available from an integrated player (transport + DAC) rather than from separates?

Bruce

Bruce

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Bruce, I can't confirm or deny what your saying, but with the right built in DACs, I see no need for extranious signal path connections. Though as a cable manufacturer, I am certainly willing to accomodate folks that need D to A and A to A cables.

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Bruce I'm not sure what you mean by improving a digital signal with a DAC...you're not improving the signal just converting it to analog. I would agree though that an integrated sol'n would be prefered if possible...unfortunatly sometimes its easier to go with a seperate DAC as is the case in my rig

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

I will say that it would be preferred to have an external DAC if it is better than the built in one. Of course, in the case of a transport, there is no DAC built in, so separate is the only way. That is the definition of a transport vs. a CD player. Mine is a transport quality CD player.

Speaking of, she arrived tonight, though beat up by UPS! Before you go getting your digital dungarees in a twist, it does play. Apparently, she took a lick though, as the red display screen was pushed down all the way on one side, and was still mostly in position on the other side. So, I just slid it back up into place and all seemed fine. There is a center cone like piece on the transport lid that is loose, and I doubt it is supposed to be that way. It still performs, but I have to find out about that. I suspect the lick did that as well. I will look at it good and see if I can tighten it down. I haven't done so as yet.

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I wouldn't wait to long before reporting this if you're not happy with the shipment. I'd take some photo's of the box as well as the player just in case you do decide to make a claim.

That said what the hell were you thinking using UPS to ship a CD player from jupiter to knoxvile! I'm sure NASA would have been a better choice though I'm not sure what their rates are LOL

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Thanks Andrew, and LOL on NASA.

Yeah, well it does help that the distributor is right here in my home town! But I am emailing Rich at Signature Sound to let him know of the 2 issues. I am sure he will be the one to report damages to UPS, since he's the shipper.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"