• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

The Saga Continues, my new CD player is:

Out of this world! (Jupiter) ha!

There was one technical snafus due to shipping. I mentioned it in the other thread, that the display color cover slid down on one side. The center ring of the flip top cover is loose, and as it turns out is supposed to be, because the chrome ring on the top spins with the CD!
    I will be contacting Signature Sound regarding the dial, and see what he recommends. Of course, with the distributor right here in town, at least I have that to fall back on.

Now to the sound. I had been listening to Diana Krall's newest CD last day or two off and on. Very relaxing before bed. So, after sitting it squarly atop my pre-amp (CP-35) in the floor on the Lovan floor stand, I connected the power, and a pair of Silvercat Ultra-Xcess .5 meter (to long) from the Rega to the CP-35. The CP-35 was already connected with Silvercat XLRs. No XLR option on the Rega, a minor complaint.

A nice bonus, both the Classe' and the Rega have red displays, so they match as if the pair were destined to be together! The Classe' being rack mount size, has a fairly wide footprint. The Rega not being rack designed sits just to the inside of the main chassis of the Classe'. Nice fit. Classe' is round edged, Rega is sqaure edged. But still, looks very very good together, and a perfect gun metal match. Sweet!

The first thing I noticed was it was smooth, very smooth! Now, the first tracks weren't what I call real detail pieces, though well recorded. So, I moved on to Temptation by Holly Cole, omg! The detail practically jumped in my face. More detail down low, tighter, more resolute bass. The highs were extremely detailed Yes, lots of air, imaging galore. I can't decide about the mids yet, how well they compare, but I think it's detailed across the spectrum at first listen. But it's very very early yet, more to come!

Remote is the Solar from Rega, and designed for integration with other Rega pieces. Doubt it's programmable, but I will read up on it just in case. Nice thinline design, big play button for the CD player in a circular pattern with track forward and back. I like that!

Repost of technical, detailed pictures forthcoming from my setup.... Rega Jupiter

Exciting huh?

Actually, it's surrounded by one of these:

Quote from Rega's website:

Rega 24 Bit Sigma Delta IC40 DAC
    Rega IC40 DAC used in differential mode
    Separate DAC for each channel
    Rega Data regeneration process
    Rega Custom built extruded aluminium case with a high stability base
    Rega VCS case isolation system
    Multiple power supplies
    Dual regulation power supply
    High performance Sony CD Mechanism
    Toslink & Coaxial digital outputs
    CD Text Display

The Jupiter 2000 CD Player is housed in the Rega custom built extruded aluminium case and includes the heat sink base assembly to give added mechanical stability to the mechanical parts. The Jupiter also has the new top loading lid assembly. It uses the same basic circuit topology as the original Jupiter and Io but with improvements in the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter), power supply and clocking stages. The Jupiter CD player has additional sonic improvements, to provide a higher level of performance over that of the Planet.

The dual differential Digital to Analogue Converter is based around two custom built IC40 DAC chips with separate DAC's for the left and right channels. DC servo control has been used in the post DAC amplifier and filter stages thereby keeping the capacitors in the signal path to a minimum. The power supply is made up from 7 separate power supplies feeding the mechanism, PLL, DAC digital and analogue sections, micro controller, display, analogue amplifier and filter. All the stages for the clock PLL and in the signal path are double regulated. There are two physically separate raw supplies for the noisy stages (motor drivers etc.) and for the clean stages (DAC, Clock & DSP etc.). The Jupiter has a generously rated toroidal transformer with separate windings for the two raw power supplies. The signal for the Mechanism is processed by a data regeneration stage, where the Data, Bit Clock & Word Clock are realigned and then fed to the Rega IC40 DACs for conversion. The Jupiter CD player uses a high stability oscillator module for the main clock. The Master clock feeding the CD Mechanism and DSP is derived from a PLL clock stage for added stability. The Jupiter uses a high performance CDM145BL-5BD25 kit with an improved display and a better level of user functionality.

Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC)

Exciting huh?

IC40 D A C
    The new Rega IC40 DAC is a high performance 24 bit Converter. It employs a novel 64 level sigma delta DAC design which provides optimised signal-to-noise performance and clock jitter. The Rega IC40 consists of a three stage linear phase FIR filter followed by a 16x over-sampled linear interpolator, that significantly reduces high frequency images when compared to the more usual sample and hold implementation. With the 64 level sigma delta DAC the magnitude of errors induced by clock jitter are significantly reduced and this is further enhanced by switched capacitor implementation of the low pass filter, which is also insensitive to clock jitter.

I got a great deal in it from http://www.sigsound.com (Signature Sound)

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

I'm sure Sig Sound will do whatever they have to too make you happy Doug. Isn't it great when a new piece of gear makes you that much more glad you picked it up? My newest piece (Sony SCD-C555ES) makes me smile more and more every time i pop in a disc. (my newest multi channel disc is "Roger Waters "In The Flesh" live)
    The Rega sounds like a real winner!

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Thanks Chip, yeah, Rich at Signature seemed like a very nice guy, and someone that really cares about 2 channel audio! It's all he does. I will email him today, and let him know about the difficulty.

I did get to thinking about that loose top, and that may be loose by design. It could be that it is loose so it seats properly on the CD spindle when you close the top lid, I don't know.

So far, I only have 3 complaints:

1. Power off and on cannot be done by remote.
      2. play, stop, and pause buttons do not have color markings that you can see. Down low, in dim light, I can't tell which button is which.
      3. The CD grooves, to pick up and place the CD are front to back, and its a little tight to get your hand back all the way to the back without risking scraping the CD on the spindle. Owner's manual even warns of this occurance. Would have been better to have the grooves side to side.

But I do like the indicator lit power button, that is easy to see when it's on to turn off. Love the red display, since my Classe' is red. This extruded aluminum case is sweet too, very nice heavy feel to the player! The heat sink bottom has a big impact in that area I guess. Makes it not feel like some light pos. lol.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"