X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Rega Planet/Jupiter vs. used Meridian 605

These CD players sort of strike me visually, and honestly, likely won't be able to audition either in my system without just buying it. I can see a new Planet locally, heck, maybe a Jupiter too if I call the Importer who is local.

The Meridian was seen online, but may be gone. Really really a nice piece with 20 bit DACs. The Jupiter has the better DACs of the Regas, and of course, is priced accordingly. The same store that has the Jupiter demo has the Meridian.

I know, all the SACD folks will be saying why do I want to buy a redbook player when SACD does so much more? Call me a minimalist, call me a purist, call me foolish I suppose.

Anyway, input welcome were I to get one of these, or some other player. I really can't spend 2 grand on this, as it's just not in the budget.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lex,
    Depending on how much you want to spend, I wouldn't discount a SACD player. They are inherently better CD players at thier respective price points, with SACD playback as a 'bonus'. The Sony 777ES (if one can be located) sells for around $1500, and the XA777ES for $2000.
    BTW, of the three players you mention above, I'd personally go for the Jupiter (but then again, for that price I'd go SACD!).

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Hi Lex,

I know, I know, I'm just a tired old juke box playing the same tune over and over again.

Go out and listen. Listen to the Jupiter and the Meridian, then go listen to an XA777ES, or one of the slightly less expensive carousel players, like a 555 or 333 if you can't find it. Personally, I'm hoping that the XB670 is a good budget player for single disk, for some of my friends, since carousel's aren't my thing; but while it's been sighted and purchased in Canada (just ask Trevor), I've not seen them available in the US. I'd second Crimson's recommendations- the Jupiter, but preferably a used 777ES or new XA777ES. If you ever see or hear one, you'll know why we're singing the same song.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I saw the 670 this weekend Jon and its build quality isn't that great...I'd say its in the same league as there normal DVD players to give you an idea. I might still try one though just to see but I think the DVD player route suits me better.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, you guys are true to fashion, and it's exactly for this reason I am looking for a top line redbook player, not SACD. Simply, I think for me, I will be happier with a high end player than a budget SACD. I can't spend 2 grand right now, and for me to be happy in SACD, I expect that's what I would need to spend.

Then you throw in the fact I am not pro-sony, and that begins to make it tough. Now, it's true enough that some of the internals of the Rega are actually Sony, but it's not on the name plate, so it might actually hold up for me, lol.

The meridian is sold, so that one isn't an option now. The Rega though, is current model, with the super duper special 24 bit DACs, remote, warranty, the works. Asking is 1250 on the Rega, and if I can get it for less, I may just buy it!

But you guys keep selling SACD, proud of ya! lol.
          John, a changer in my 2 channel system? Come on man, you got to be kidding me! hehe.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Crimson
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Lex,
            Here's some things to ponder:

The newer Sony's upconvert PCM to DSD.
            The ES models come with a 5 year warranty.
            Try it, you'll like it!

Q.
            Q.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"