X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Headphones, anyone?

As there doesn't seem to be any particular place to discuss headphones, I thought I'd open a thread here.

Just curious about what, if any, headphones (on-ear, over-ear, in-ear, other) people are using? How important? How often? With headphone amp? Or not? Best set(s) ever heard? End-game headphone ambitions?

I have a pair of Grado IEMs (much better than the earbuds that came with my iPhone). Use them for public transit, walks between campuses, doing yard work, library work sessions, late night listening in bed (if likely to fall asleep). Picked them up a year ago for around 100$CDN. For price and purpose, SQ is very good. Isolation is also very good.

I have a pair of on-ear B&W P5s (v1). Nice relaxed sound. Used them extensively until last weekend when right ear crapped out. I'm sure it can be fixed but it is not an easily disassembled piece, so will be looking for a repair shop. Picked them up about six years ago for something 300$CDN. Travel well and quite comfortable for on-ear design.

Just picked up a pair of over-ear (closed back) Sennheiser HD630VB. Retails for 680$CDN, got them for a steal at 200$CDN (floor demo with full warranty). A clear category above the P5s (and by far the best I've owned). Looking forward to many years of enjoyment. Plays with with my Schiit Modi2/Magni2 (both Uber) stack (as did the P5s).

Ordered my first open-backs from Massdrop (a special edition Sennheiser HD 58X). Wanted to try open-back headphone and the cost was right. 150$US. At that price, I did a blind buy. Reviews suggest it is in the same general league as the HD600/650, so a bargain if that proves to be the case. Downside is it won't arrive until late June (special batch made to order).

Best set I've ever heard was on same day I got the HD630s. Sales guy set me up for half an hour with Focal Utopia (open back, dynamic). 5000$CDN Lotto winnings? Will pick up a pair. Otherwise, I have milder ambitions in the 1000-1500$CDN range.

Anyone else?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I have a pair of HD598 CS's that I run with a little FiiO headamp currently, but I plan to upgrade to some HD 6XX's from massdrop soon and some sort of nicer headphone amp/dac.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm afraid my new purchase has gotten me on the headphone bug (often happens when I get new gear--I start thinking of the next upgrade. Should blow over soon.).

This is not to suggest I am unhappy with my new 630VBs. The more I listen with them, the more I enjoy them. But I never should have spent 30 mins with the Focal Utopias. Way out of budget, in any case. Turns out there is another Focal much more within (eventual) reach--the Clears (at 1500$US, still a ton of money, but the Utopias retail for 4000$US, so the Clears become "affordable").

In a while, the sonic memory of the Focals will fade, perhaps just in time for my Massdrop Sennheiser 58X to arrive (in July, yikes). The two Sennheisers should tide me over for a few years, at least. In the meantime, I've ordered a headphone stand and am considering a few options for portable USB DAC/amps. I'm very happy with my Modi 2/Magni 2 (both Uber) in my home office, but on the go, I'm thinking of the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic V2, the Schiit Fulla 2 or perhaps a Dragonfly (black or red). At the moment, the best deal in Canadian dollars is the Dac Magic. Probably going to go with that (reviews seem positive in media and headphone communities online). Certainly a tidy package.

Also, once I get the 58Xs, I may look into some sort of tube amp (always wanted to play around with a tube set up and headphone tube amps are way more affordable than full integrated--easier to justify the experiment).

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Here are my B & W's

Oh, mine are P7 wired I see P7 bluetooth wireless available now as well... P5 are 100 avg less money, but do not fully cover ear to block out noise around you more.

P7 wireless available for bluetooth, though mine were the wired version...

I have the in ear wired as well, and over ear B & W P7 headphones. (Both wired) I have to say, I have not used the in ear all that much. I find them a bit difficult to get seated properly in my own ears. Not impossible, but the clear winner for me are the more expensive over ear B & Ws in what I would consider my max price range for phones. Frankly, the B & Ws are amazing. Construction is absolutely fantastic! I did swap out the cable that came on my phones for a secondary cable. (longer one) I cannot remember if it was B & W or not. But I think it was... Honestly, the cable is all I have had a problem with, not the factory cable, the separate one. The teflon heat shrink over twisted pair wires started coming loose, finally, it got so bad, I stripped it off a large portion of the cable, but the twisted pair remains in tact, and functions normally.

How many headphones would allow you to swap out the cable with another one. Well, a few I guess, I have some smaller phones that came from Radio Shack (Audio Technica), that are noise cancelling which frankly, anyone with large ears could not comfortably wear. They barely fit my ears, and my ears are medium sized, I guess...lol. The B&Ws allow ample room inside for comfort. I used my Audio Technica for audio recording purposes around the house occasionally,or if I don't feel like getting my B & Ws out of my work backpack. I keep one pair corded at home, and the second pair, no cord on, just used for ear muffs during this bitter cold we had, for noise suppression, don't laugh, cordless for ear muffs to knock high winds off when cold going from car to office or going to trash place, or in grocery store, whatever, hahaha. I also work very near a train track, and if that Train be traveling, and I am going in, my phones are on if I have them.

They were not extremely expensive, but IMO, they did make the cup over ear a little to small though, as I said. But I make them work, unless my ears grow. I

Back to B & W:
        1. The glove leather covered ear pieces are magnetically attached to the phones. So, they would be easily replaceable, if BW sells them separately, I would think they do.
        2. Sound is crisp and clear, detailed.
        3. They are not fatiguing to my ears, as long as you listen at controlled volume.
        4. They collapse for portability.
        5. Come with a leather clamshell case they fit in perfectly, and it has a leather flap over lid that attaches magnetically.
        6. The ONLY negative comment I have about them? They can begin to sit a little heavy on the top of head. Often times, I wear a leather USA flat hat with brim, from Henschel under mine for added comfort. I know my bosses at work probably dislike my hat. But if there wasn't a cold air vent blowing down on me all the time, maybe I wouldn't wear it as much! LOL. If asked about my hat, I have that as a legit reason to wear it, it is a horrible ventilation system, but that is not what this post is about! But believe me, there is a really well padded top band. It is probably just because I wear them for so long at a time that I begin to get discomfort, and my rather pointy top of head, LOL. I could be part klingon, I don't know-

Additionally, I cannot emphasize enough how nice it is the ear cups are easily replaceable, and the cable connection is hidden beneath the ear cups that magnetically attach to phones. Brilliant! When you pop a cover off, gently, so as not to mess up the leather, the connection lays flat inside, you just gently pull up the cable from it's "canal" and the internal connection moves up at angle for easy removal of cable from phones.

I carry these back and forth to work with me every day. I simply have to have phones in my environment. I also take an XM portable radio back and forth with me so I can use both in either place. I have 2 base stations for my XM radio along with two home style antennas. Not part of my headphones, but they provide a lot of source material.

Very well rated. I would not consider another set of phones in the 400 range.

Mine are the P7's.

Hmmm, I may see a second pair in my future, one at work and one at home, a backup, and time saver getting them out all the time. Maybe blue tooth, or maybe I can adapt my wired to a transmitter on RCA output device to a receiver on my belt that allowed hookup of 3.5 mm analog cable from my wired P7s. I have a rather unique need for this, as my current wireless I use to play drums to my other recording output from my 32 track recorder is, well, pretty much crap. You have to have loud, unfortunately, and clear sound, to accompany with full acoustic drum set... My unique issue, well probably in this thread anyway... I will not be in car looking for bluetooth signal for my wireless needs. not so much. So, I have to think this through, how I could get best audio quality to my wired P7s from a bluetooth transmitter that accepts RCA input *2 and then the transmitter transmits to receiver on my waist, where my 3.5mm wired would plug into. Suggestions?

I am not sure the P7 bluetooth are right for me. Can I get the quality of signal, and quantity. I need a good amp to generate some power, then transmit if I get blue tooth, or the alternate setup with transmitter to receiver, and my phones plugged into that.

Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Had a good discussion with a buddy of mine who also appreciates audio gear (not many of my friends care about such things at all--40$ bluetooth speaker is more than sufficient for most of them). He's a generation older than me (in his 70s, I'm just entering 50s) and recalls, in his youth in the 70s, having SERIOUS (always lowers his voice an octave for that :lol: ) audio gear. Time, career path and other hobbies have left him with a far more modest setup these days, though we usually go to the local Montreal audio show and drool.

Headphones are not like listening to traditional loudspeakers--we both agree on that. However, I think with a good pair of open-back 'phones, you can get to about 80% of the traditional, well-placed set up. The bonus is the price to performance ratio. I'd guess there's something like a 5-8:1 ratio in favour of 'phones (actual headphones plus amplification--source gear is a wash). Carefully selected, 2000-3000$ on headphone/amp rig gives performance of 10-20000$ in speakers/amp. Of course, it's not identical, and it's a solo vs group enjoyment, but I can barely find two people who care about audio quality (and they ain't in my house--my wife is one of those 40$ bluetooth speaker types). So, as I consider audio upgrades in the medium-term, I'm drawn more and more to the headphone side of the equation. Certainly more WAF friendly in terms of space considerations--AND a much easier placement issue for performance (a sturdy table/small rack and a comfy chair, anywhere in the room it will fit).

Anyway, still enjoying my new 'phones (listening to more music this past couple of weeks than many months prior taken together). Looking forward to the "open-back experience" this summer.

Comment

• kpodolski
            • Jun 2006

Here is my little collection of headphones.

Sony MDR-Z7. These are a great all-around headphone. Deep bass and very dynamic. Also great for movie watching.

Sony MDR-HW700. These are surround sound headphones I use for watching movies when I do not want to wake the dead! I use these in conjunction with two bass engines in my chair. The combination is very effective and explosive! I just watched Blade Runner 2049 the other night and the opening credits nearly scared the crap out of me!

These are discontinued by Sony but still available on eBay. I'm hoping Sony brings out a new version. I'm watching the evolution of the Smyth Realizer A16 but only time will tell where that goes.....

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. These are very nice 'phones for not a whole lot of money. The bass is a little thin compared to the Z7's but they have a beautifully delicate sound to them. I use these for acoustic music; mostly lute CD's.

The Sony and AT are driven by several different headphone amps;

-Cary SLI-80 integrated tube amp.

-Project Headbox S.

-Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro. This is used mainly as a DAC for surround sound listening with the Z7 cans. The 9000 has a headphone "surround mode" that actually sounds really good (for almost 20 year old tech!). I also cheat sometimes and run the pre-amp RCA's out from the 9000 to my Project so I can take advantage of the multitude of music modes. I don't know why Sony did it, but when you plug the cans in the headphone jack it kills all modes but "2-channel direct" and "headphone surround". This is one of my favorite pieces of equipment....
            Last edited by kpodolski; 04 July 2018, 19:14 Wednesday.
            The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Well, I've expanded my headphone adventure (though it'll be quite a while before I can actually hear any of it--I've been getting stuff on Massdrop and shipping them to my parents to avoid "to Canada" extra charges--and some of it won't be ready until summer).

I ordered a hybrid tube headphone amp--Bravo V2. It has a 12AU7 tube doing "pre-amp" duties in hybrid with a solid-state amp. Chief attraction? 58$ delivered. Even if it dies after a few months (or it's total garbage), I'm not out a fortune. I plan to get one different tube and compare it with the stock tube. If it is at all entertaining, then I'll start looking into more serious tube amps for headphones. So far, word on the web is that it is a decent place to dip a toe into the tube world. Guess I'll see.

Owing to what I've read about tube amps preferring higher impedance 'phones, I jumped on the latest Sennheiser HD6XX offering at 199$. Every review I've found (plus Massdrop) claims it is an HD650 with a shorter cable (6' instead of 10') and plainer packaging. Since the HD650 still goes for over 300$ US (often over 400$) AND it's nearly 700$ plus tax up here in igloo-land, I took the dive. Its 300ohm (with swings up to 500, apparently) will make it a better match for the tube amp than anything else I've got. And, if it proves sonically indistinguishable to me from the other one I ordered (HD58X), I'll simply gift one of them to my daughter as a high school grad present.

What I've been reading lately about 'phones, in user-boards more than in mainstream reviews, suggests it is better to spend 200-500$ on different phones than putting 1000$+ into one (unless one has the scratch, of course, to afford the four-figure 'phones with little effort). Something to do with having a wider variety among which to choose to better match different music types...the kind of thing one might do with speakers if it was practical.

I plan to setup the Bravo V2 tube amp with the HD6XXs/HD58Xs and a spare SACD capable DVD player (Cambridge Audio DVD99) I have, for dedicated listening sessions. Otherwise, I'll keep going with my Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi Uber stack with one of the Senns and my closed-back (when house is not empty) Sennheiser HD630VBs. Eventually, I'd like to add an amp in the bedroom with an SACD capable source. But that'll be later (can't keep grabbing stuff online forever, right? ).

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Ok. I think I'm done for the time being (yeah, right :lol: ).

I learned my lesson with Massdrop with popular offers. I saw a great deal on a HifiMan that announced 24 days for the drop. So I did some researching and made plans to check out local versions (the Massdrop version is somewhat modified, but similar, to regular versions of this particular 'phone) for fit and comfort...but before I could do all that, the drop ended as the demand far exceeded the limited supply. So when the Sennheiser HD6XX drop happened, with a similar 24 day "window", I didn't wait. And I was right--2 days later, the allotted supply is gone. It's not always like that, but for popular stuff, it seems to be the norm.

So now, I await the summer and the opportunity to play with all these new headphone toys. Until then, I soldier on with my recently acquired Sennheiser HD630VBs (which, if I didn't want open headphones as well, I'd be happy with as a sole option for some time to come).

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Eventually, I'd like to add an amp in the bedroom with an SACD capable source. But that'll be later (can't keep grabbing stuff online forever, right? ).
                  The Marantz SACD players have a very nice headphone section (with its own volume control!). I found my SA8260's headphone out (1/4") to provide sound quality every bit as good as the analog out jacks on the back.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                    The Marantz SACD players have a very nice headphone section (with its own volume control!). I found my SA8260's headphone out (1/4") to provide sound quality every bit as good as the analog out jacks on the back.
                    While not in my immediate future, this seems like a fine option to consider. Thanks.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Well, summer is here and so are some of my new toys.

Once the hectic schedule of the past few weeks ends (sometime later this coming week, if all goes well), I will set up my new headphone amp (Bravo V2 hybrid solid state/tube amp) and try them with my new Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx (HD650 clone) open back headphones. My other Massdrop Sennheiser phones will arrive in another few weeks. Also, in a totally non-headphone related topic, I'll finally have time to hang my 85" projector screen (jumping up from 64"). Looking forward to getting some quality A/V time again.

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Agree. Marantz's reference series stuff have very nice headphone section compared to other.
                        I've compared the headphone section from their integrated and cd players against dedicated headphone amps, and found the Marantz to be equally impressive. Against the Oppo BDP-105, the Oppo seem to emphasize a little more on details, but the Marantz have greater output power. For example, my Sennheiser HD595 really come alive on the Marantz versus the Oppo or other dedicated headphone amps.

Originally posted by Ovation
                        Also, in a totally non-headphone related topic, I'll finally have time to hang my 85" projector screen (jumping up from 64"). Looking forward to getting some quality A/V time again.
                        Projection or actual tv?

If you're in the market for headphones, check out head-fi. However, proceed with caution. They are seriously hard-core about headphones over there and if you don't limit the amount of reading you do there, you will start to get the upgraditiies.

Though I love my audio system, there is a different more natural relaxing feel to enjoying music with headphones for me.
                        My main headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser HD595, Sony MDR-1A, and iem Onkyo E700MB. Sometimes I use an amp (I always use an amp with the Sennheiser's though), sometimes not.
                        Different headphones depending on what kind of music and mood I'm in.
                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by audioqueso

Projection or actual tv?
                          Projection. I've had a projector for 12 years (3rd year with my second projector). Got one in 2006 because 64" TVs at the time were WAY more expensive than projector--made my own screen out of available materials from an office move. Going from a 32" SD CRT to 64" seemed a big leap. Have made a few changes to the room so now the bigger screen can fit (but that's as big as I can go).

If you're in the market for headphones, check out head-fi. However, proceed with caution. They are seriously hard-core about headphones over there and if you don't limit the amount of reading you do there, you will start to get the upgraditiies.

Though I love my audio system, there is a different more natural relaxing feel to enjoying music with headphones for me.
                          My main headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser HD595, Sony MDR-1A, and iem Onkyo E700MB. Sometimes I use an amp (I always use an amp with the Sennheiser's though), sometimes not.
                          Different headphones depending on what kind of music and mood I'm in.
                          I went on a bit of a headphone buying binge, but I think it's over for a while. I picked up some Sennheiser HD630VB closed back 'phones to replace my non-functioning B&W P5 (series 1) back in January. I'll eventually get the P5s repaired, but needed something right away and wanted to try something new. I've also picked up two Sennheiser open-back from Massdrop (HD6xx--an HD650 clone--and HD58x--a new, but closely related to the HD600 series, closest to the HD660, if recent reviews are anything to judge by). I got two because, combined, they cost less than one pair of HD650s in Canada. I also gifted to my kids (each graduated from a different level of school last month--elementary and high school) some AKG K7xx 'phones from Massdrop (again, far lower than cost of the K702 of which it is essentially a clone). My son is 12, so I'll be liberally "borrowing" his set when I want to give it a whirl. So that makes, in the house, Sennheiser HD6xx, HD630VB, HD58x, B&W P5s (to be repaired), AKG K7xx and my on the go IEM Grado iGe. The only one on my immediate radar is the Hifiman HE-4xx. It is a close relative of the HE-400i and 400s, but for less money than either. An affordable, reasonably well-reviewed way to try out planar 'phones. In the longer run, as a grad present to myself (whenever I finish my PhD--other middle-aged guys buy a red sports car--I went back to school), I'm looking to get the Focal Clear. After that, I think I'll be done (barring having to replace broken inoperative gear).

Or not.

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

First few weeks of using the Sennheiser HD6xx headphones--a great success. I don't usually buy headphones or speakers without first listening to them, but I took a chance and it was well worth it. Haven't had as much time as I'd like to truly assess them, but initial impressions are quite positive. I quite enjoy the open-back spaciousness to the sound and, after a bit of adjustment, have come to appreciate them for what they don't have, as much as for what they do have. I'm no bass head, so the bass extension and quality are fine by me. More importantly, though it took some getting used to, is the lack of artificial treble boost in the highs. At first, they seemed a touch "dull" compared to my other headphones, but after a few albums, I figured out I had been conditioned by the additional "sizzle" many headphones (and speakers) add to the sound to create a sense of "detail". Once I started to focus on the highs without that boost, I started hearing cymbals, soprano saxophones, upper register notes from various instruments and etc. with a clarity I'd not heard before. I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to many years of enjoyment.

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

there is a different more natural relaxing feel to enjoying music with headphones for me.
                              The cord keeps getting hung up on my air guitar.......
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

So now I have a headphone question I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 cans. That's where my budget tops out. Also looking at the HD 579 because I can get them for about $100 (!). My question, though, is open back or closed back? I'll post the comparison between the specs of the two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	863611

Open backs have half the distortion, but it's negligible anyway. They also have a little higher impedance, but the frequency ranges give me pause. The open backs are 12-38,500 Hz, the high end being well out of the range of my 56 year old ears. I understand it will flesh out notes I can hear, etc.. The closed are 10-28,000 Hz. Do you think I'll benefit more from the more accessible highs and deeper bass, or are the benefits of the open back great enough to make it worth the substantial (to me) price difference?
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

I find the open vs closed issue is very dependent upon the listening environment. If I were only going to have one set, it would be closed for maximum flexibility. If it’s for listening at home or a similarly quiet place, open gives a bigger sense of space than closed and the bass, while perhaps less visceral, will likely be more articulate and “clean”. Becomes a matter of preference.

If you choose open, you should give serious thought to the Massdrop Sennheiser 58x. It’s 150$ delivered and across several headphone sites, it’s getting strong reviews. It’s really, despite the name, a 600-series Senn (HD600/650/660/6XX), which is a step up from the series you are considering. In particular it measures better in bass than any other of that series.

Two drawbacks: 1) no closed option (if that’s what you prefer) and 2) the drops are not necessarily constant so it can be a waiting game. But for the price, I believe it’s worth the wait.

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I would much prefer cleaner and more detailed bass over "bloom n' boom".
                                    They will be used exclusively in my home for music with some light PC gaming duty, and as small as my place is I would definitely enjoy a larger soundstage. So it sounds like open is the way to go. Since the open are $30 more, that gives me more motivation to check out the Massdrops. Thanks!
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Here’s the link https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...lee-headphones

Probably out of your budget as described but if you decide to stretch a bit more to 200$
                                      Our all-time best selling open-back audiophile headphones, the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX is a replacement to the original HD 650 with a refreshed aesthetic & improved utility.

I have them and I love them. They are HD650s with a shorter cable ending in 3.5mm rather than 6.3mm (6ft vs 10ft). 650s retail around 450$US and 700$CDN. At 200$, they’re a steal. 58x is a bit livelier and with a bit more bass, 6xx is a bit smoother with a richer mids presence. Similar but not identical to each other. Will be directly comparing both in-depth in a couple of weeks when I pick up my 58x at my parents’ house in NH.

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

The 58x isn't available and there are only 6 days left on the 6xx. I'm tempted to forego food for the last week of August, but that's asking a lot from my body. LOL. I may just go with $104 HD 579 on Amazon and start saving so I'm ready for the upgrade when/if something comes up. I was also looking at the AKG7xx headphones (Red Edition, of course. LOL) but that will be over before I have any funds available.
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

The 58x isn't available and there are only 6 days left on the 6xx. I'm tempted to forego food for the last week of August, but that's asking a lot from my body. LOL. I may just go with $104 HD 579 on Amazon and start saving so I'm ready for the upgrade when/if something comes up. I was also looking at the AKG7xx headphones (Red Edition, of course. LOL) but that will be over before I have any funds available.
                                          The 7XX are a recurring drop. The drops start over every weekday. They’re always available. I got one for each of my kids as graduation presents. One red, one black (so they can tell them apart and not fight over them). They are also nice, but have a notably different sound signature than the Sennheisers. They are, however, excellent in comfort. More bass shy than the Senns, but still articulate. Livelier in the treble, but not artificially so. I sometimes borrow them for folk and chamber music. I could easily live with them as an only pair of open ‘phones. They do benefit from external amplification, even more than the Senns (despite a significantly lower impedance than the Senns, they are less efficient). They play well enough with iPads and such, just not very loudly (one of the reasons i got them for my kids :W ).

Here’s a review that mostly matches what I hear with them (I find the bass a bit less impressive than the reviewer but that’s in comparison with my Senn 6XX, and it’s not a huge difference). https://www.soundguys.com/akg-k7xx-r...-review-13767/

Comment

• Alaric
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

I didn't know that about the drops, I'll take another look. I've always been curious about the AKG 7xx phones. Bass shy (compared to Sennheiser) is a common point in the reviews I've read over the years, so I'm not surprised you found the same thing. I'm looking at the Schiit Fulla for next month's indulgence, so a dedicated amp is already in the plan. I'm leaning back towards the Sennheiser now, though. Reading your take on the AKGs brings back all the reviews I've read about them and feel they'll come up a tad short with a lot of the music I listen to. They'd make a good second pair, though, for the reasons you stated.

And as I get closer to decision time I see this https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350
                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                            Marantz CD5005
                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

I didn't know that about the drops, I'll take another look. I've always been curious about the AKG 7xx phones. Bass shy (compared to Sennheiser) is a common point in the reviews I've read over the years, so I'm not surprised you found the same thing. I'm looking at the Schiit Fulla for next month's indulgence, so a dedicated amp is already in the plan. I'm leaning back towards the Sennheiser now, though. Reading your take on the AKGs brings back all the reviews I've read about them and feel they'll come up a tad short with a lot of the music I listen to. They'd make a good second pair, though, for the reasons you stated.

And as I get closer to decision time I see this https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he-350
                                              I have no experience with that one, but everything I've read says they are favoured by those who like enhanced treble (that's not me). Kind of a love/hate thing among the reviews/owner posts I've read (they rarely leave anyone feeling "meh"). The price is compelling, though.

While I'm in no rush, I probably have one more purchase in the medium term--the HE-4XX. Seems to be the least expensive way to try planars at 169$US and they're decently reviewed. After that, I'll settle in for a few years at least. If I were to imagine an end-game pair for me now, very likely the Focal Clear. However, I might go with the Massdrop Focal Elex (said to be a "blend" of the Elear and Clear) as they are 1/2 the price of the Clear.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Unboxed my HD58X last night. I’m not home so no way to do direct comparison with the HD6XX but initial impressions suggest a livelier sound in the highs and a touch more bass. Of my usual test list of various genres, it favours acoustic instruments, especially in classical and jazz ensembles. With rock/pop full of jangly guitars and heavy use of crashing cymbals, they are a shade brighter than I like, though I’ve not used any amping beyond my iPad yet.

Without my HD6XX as a comparison, the brightness might not be noticeable (and it’s not a huge difference—I don’t want to overstate it). More impressions when I have both in hand.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well, while I was looking the other way and it's put off another month. LOL
                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Very quick first impression of direct comparison of HD 58X and HD 6XX. Using a very well-recorded Sarah McLachlan cover of a Joni Mitchell song (River)--just her and a grand piano in a recording studio--I compared the two for tone (piano is a difficult instrument to get right) and female voice (something else difficult to get right). After several passes, the differences were subtle but notable. With the 58X, it's like sitting just next to the piano, on stage, while the 6XX is like being 3-5 rows back from the stage (depending on venue size). The 58X gives a bit more detail in the upper register while slightly recessing the mids. The 6XX has more pronounced mids and a bit more recessed upper register.

Completely different kind of song, Lenny Kravitz' Fly Away, with its jangling electric guitars, vocoder effects and so on, more clearly illustrate the differences between them in the treble range. The 58X lives up to its "livelier" reputation.

Differences are notable when directly comparing, but they are not night and day. If I were going to monitor a recording session, I'd go with the 6XX (more neutral sound to my ears). If I want to "rock out", the 58X would better fit the mood. Will spend some time with classical and jazz, but early impressions of classical lean towards 6XX.

The 6XX are better suited for tube amps (hybrid and all tube) and my new Emotiva's headphone amp output. At 300 ohms, it can handle higher output impedances than the 150 ohm 58X more easily. So far, I'm happy to have both, as I plan to use the 6XX mostly with the hybrid tube amp or the Emotiva anyway, while the 58X will run off my Schiit Magni 2 Uber (low output impedance) and, when needed, my iPad or iPhone (each of which can drive the 58X relatively more easily than the 6XX--neither gives them a complete experience, but for casual listening, each one works fine with the i-devices).

More comparisons in the coming days (when I can squeeze them in around course prep for the upcoming semester).

I will say, even with early impressions, at 150$, the 58X are a BARGAIN and could easily be my only open-back headphone.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

The 58x sound like the best fit for me. Especially regarding my intention to eventually get a Magni 2.
                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• oldbob
                                                        • Aug 2016

I have been using the Woo WA6-SE for years and like it a lot. I have an old pair of Senn. 650 cans and between the two I have never felt any need to change. Although I have played around with the tubes quite a bit and that does cause some sound changes.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Life and budget being what they are (one unpredictable, the other all too much so), I'll settle (for now) for the HD 579 open back cans. I've already planned for the damages next month. I despise earbuds and they'll be a huge improvement over everything but my Paradigms. The headphone section in my SACD player is very good, and I'll be able to play my games late night without my neighbors unhappily listening to battleships, warplanes, tanks, and light sabers. Some proper Schiit in the form of a DAC will come eventually, making (I hope) my music files on my computer more listenable. I considered a higher end custom op amp for my motherboard, but a good DAC is just more flexible and versatile for the investment.
                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

I said to Hell with being responsible and got the HD 598 open back cans. Then proceeded to trip over the cable and bugger up the headphone jack on my computer case. I followed that with the discovery of my motherboard's rear phone jack being defective. So, other than my trusty Marantz SA 8260, I can't use them. I am also am the proud owner of my very own case of tinnitus. My ears have a noise floor that sounds like a night outside in the country with a lot of crickets. That, along with some other health issues from mild to very much not mild, this has not been my best week ever. The cans aren't even broken in yet. They sounded nice while everything worked, though.
                                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                                            Marantz CD5005
                                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Sep 2004

I said to Hell with being responsible and got the HD 598 open back cans. Then proceeded to trip over the cable and bugger up the headphone jack on my computer case. I followed that with the discovery of my motherboard's rear phone jack being defective. So, other than my trusty Marantz SA 8260, I can't use them. I am also am the proud owner of my very own case of tinnitus. My ears have a noise floor that sounds like a night outside in the country with a lot of crickets. That, along with some other health issues from mild to very much not mild, this has not been my best week ever. The cans aren't even broken in yet. They sounded nice while everything worked, though.
                                                              I'm sorry you've had such troubles. I've not had the chance to listen to the HD598 (I've heard they are very comfortable--important for long listening sessions) but with three Senns of my own (and liking them all), I expect they sound nice. I hope things improve for you as soon as possible. At the very least, the 598s should provide much listening pleasure with the SA 8260.

As for me, I think I'm over the immediate "upgrade bug". I've settled in with my current set of 'cans and they are very nice indeed. For the price of one pair of "lower-end" "high-end" headphones (800$ CDN [some converted from US$]), I have three options with which I'm very happy. My closed-back 630VB, while a touch below the other two in SQ (to me--others may differ), are easy to drive with portable devices and are quite nice. My HD 58X open-back are excellent with a wide variety of music, with a (very) mild "EQ smile" response--lively enough at the top end and sufficient in bass for me. My favourite of the three for movie watching late at night as well. The HD 6XX are the most neutral of the three and are my go to "critical listening" pair. Also work best with my Emotiva integrated amp's headphone interface, as the Emotiva has a higher output impedance than is ideal for the lower impedance HD 58X and HD 630VB. The HD 6XX will also work best of the three with the tube gear I will eventually set up.

So far, it's HD 6XX for critical listening/SACD (hooked up in the system with the Emotiva) and future tube gear; the HD 58X for all portable device and movie watching at home; the HD 630VB for on the go (work, library, travel, commuting) where closed back is needed.

If I could only keep one, it would be the HD 58X. I would lose a bit of neutrality (but not much) vs. 6XX and the closed back convenience of the 630s (would just live with my Grado IEMs), but would have a great all-around performer. Best part--of the three Senns, it is the least expensive at 150$US.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

As they break in I'm finding myself enjoying them as much as my speakers. Obviously two totally different listening experiences (for hard rock the Paradigms really get the job done) but equally enjoyable. If play with the software equalizer I can get the earpads jumping from the bass. I listen with no equalization but it's nice to hear how far they can go. Listening to Mason Williams' Classical Gas as I type and the SQ really is outstanding. From the timbre of the guitar's body to the ever so slight drag of his fingertips on the frets, absolutely wonderful. I still think the 58x would be great for the great mid vocals I love so much, from Natalie Merchant to Sheryl Crowe to Patty Smith and Ann Wilson. I'm looking forward to Gordon Lightfoot, as well.

update: The horns in Natalie Merchant's "Break Your Heart". Very, very nice.
                                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2004

After a few months, I can confirm early trends noted above. So far, my 58X are getting the most use, but that's because I'm most often confined to devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone) and have little time for my rigs with amplifiers (where the 6XX shine). Very happy with all three (the 630VBs are currently at my office on campus, so I only get to use them a couple of days a week, unless I pack them up and take them home--rare enough these days) and feel quite comfortable stepping away from the "headphone upgrade" path I've been on for the past year or so. The advice I read about spreading the money around rather than all on one headphone worked for me. I think I'd have to spend more than double what I did on the two Massdrop Senns (so twice 350$ US or more) to get something that I would find notably better. In no rush to do that at the moment. Lotto winnings might change things though. :lol:

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

I've been plugging the 598s in to my integrated, for lack of any alternative. The headphone section in the amp can't touch the SA 8260's, though. Not only is it not the same league, I question whether it's even the same sport. However, I really like these headphones. Some of my standard reference material, even with the lousy Realtek chip in my current computer they really deliver the detail without over doing it. Traffic's "40,000 Headmen" has a great soundstage, and the flute just floats out there...somewhere. John Bonham's drums on the Led Zeppelin track "When The Levee Breaks" and "In My Time Of Dying" (from the Celebration Day album) hit with the authority that made Bonzo famous, and they don't fade or get flustered trying to keep up. I'm sure my lack of headphone experience leaves me missing cans that do some things better, or everything better, but I can say I'm as happy with this sub $200 purchase as I've ever been with any equipment except my floorstanders, but they catch out my amp's weaknesses and the headphones don't.
                                                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                                                    Marantz CD5005
                                                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

Finally have had some extended time with my HD6XX and my Emotiva A-100 amplifier this past few days. I've had a lot of marking to do, so I've been going through my 40CD box set of Mozart (nothing special or anything--no famous performers or orchestras, but a very thorough sample of Mozart's compositions). I've gone through 15 discs in the past three days (not counting today as I'm on campus).

My impressions:

1) The HD6XX really benefit from the extra power (I've run them on my laptop and iPad on occasion and while they sound fine there, they open up considerably with the extra power). These are really good when fed sufficient power.
                                                                      2) The A-100 is an excellent headphone amp. It's also a standard amp (really an integrated amp with one input and a volume control) that powers my PSB Imagine Bs in my living room very well. Its single stereo input is attached to the preouts of my Integra DTR 6.4 AVR, whose left channels died last year but whose pre-amp functions remain intact. But where many headphone amps in integrateds or receivers are an IC chip afterthought, this one draws directly from the main amp. One can even (I don't, but some headphones out there can benefit) open it up (Emotiva includes instructions--and a warning) and configure it to access all the power of the amp.
                                                                      3) My now 15 year old Marantz DV6400 DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD/CD player sounds just as great as it did when I first bought it and functions without any hiccups. Paid a fair amount of money back in 2004 (CDN exchange was quite poor then) but it has never faltered.

With the three pieces (HD6XX, A-100, DV6400), I have a very satisfying living room headphone rig now, and for years more to come. That sigh of relief in the background is my wallet thanking me.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Scored a pair of HifiMan HE-4XX from Massdrop for 130$ (originally 170$, IIRC and well below the nearly 300$ for the non-Massdrop version) last week. Nice contrast with my Sennheisers (somewhat livelier top end--a different overall tone). Very good price for planar magnetic (mostly wanted to experiment with the different tech from the dynamic drivers in all my other headphones). Bit power hungry but works very well with my Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber). Don't have a lot of time for TV/movies but I do have lots of time for music in my workspace.

Comment

• Lex
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Apr 2001
                                                                          • 27461

I really like my B & W phones, (Actually have Over ear and in ear, they are both cool, and budget phones I have as well with noise suppression BLue light, I could not live without them at work. I forget the name. I can plug them into my I phone for XM radio, awesome...

I used to take my B & Ws to work, but I quit that. The two days a week I am at office, I Went back to taking 1 of 2 B & W headphones, their original over ears which generally are a little glitchy, and cut out sometimes on blue tooth. Well, I mainly use the Over ear, the in ear, are in a pouch for my use anytime in my work bag, but they are not noise suppression. So, not much use with deep boomy voice of guy across cubes from me, always projecting himself and generally thinks he's God's gift to the organization. I really can't stand the guy., next to him on 1 side is a big time cougher. Hoping guy with noisy chair in next cube over gets a NEW chair soon, I recommended him for one, and I think they are FINALLY going to do it, I hope.
                                                                          Doug
                                                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 2202

Got a pair of Grado SR225e headphones for my wife for her birthday a couple of weeks ago. I made sure to ask her what she wanted and she gave me a list of “don’t wants”: no in-ear, no closed back, not too big, not too fragile (very important regardless of what I give my wife), not too heavy, no need for an amp... The options quickly narrowed. The Grados fit the bill. Very little isolation (she doesn’t care about ambient sound, she MUST be able to hear things around her—she’s claustrophobic), small and light enough, comfortable fit for her (and me), runs fine off her iPad...

The sound is very good for well-recorded music and shines with small jazz and classical ensembles, as well as acoustic genres generally (folk, “unplugged”, bluegrass, etc.). Excellent for violin solos and small string ensembles. Very good with piano. Decent enough with pop/rock, though not forgiving of poorly recorded and/or mastered material. Its strengths are such I might get myself a pair someday but I could not be totally happy with it as my only option. My wife has no such concerns—it meets her criteria listed above, so she’s very happy.

Not for bassheads...at all. A bit on the bright side (hence the unforgiving nature for poorly recorded audio) but when matched to its strengths, punches above its weight.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2004
                                                                              • 2202

#39
                                                                              Hoping to have this happen in the calendar year 2020--a headphone shootout with a buddy of mine.

On deck:
                                                                              1. Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX (650 clone) open-back dynamic
                                                                              2. Sennheiser HD630VB closed-back dynamic
                                                                              3. Grado SR225e open-back dynamic
                                                                              4. Sennheiser Massdrop HD58X Jubiliee open-back dynamic
                                                                              5. AKG Massdrop K7XX (K702 clone) open-back dynamic
                                                                              6. HiFiMan Massdrop HE-4XX (modeled on HE-400s) open-back planar magnetic
                                                                              7. Focal Massdrop Elex (modeled on Elear and Clear) open-back dynamic
                                                                              8. Beyerdynamic Amiron closed-back dynamic

Will be using a Schiit Magni2 Uber, Bravo V2, Emotiva A-100 amps to drive the show. Will be a fun, totally non-scientific day, with fine single malts, fine music. Was originally going to happen late April. Looks more like late November at this rate. Oh well. All but the last two are mine, anyway, so it won't be too bad for me in the meantime.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 2202

#40
                                                                                Well, just added, as of today, KEF M500. The KEF are on-ear, meant to be on the go. I bought them used on Canuck Audio Mart for a fraction of their original price. Not the last word in detail but they are very comfortable with glasses (not the case with any of my other headphones after an hour or two) and the mic is very good. As I'll have to do a LOT more video conferencing this fall (most of my classes are going to be online), it was important to find comfortable cans with a mic. Will give them a more thorough eval later for audio quality, but they've already proven a good purchase for video conferencing.

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 321

#41
                                                                                  My dad gave me his Sennheiser HD 650 I got him for Christmas years ago. My current system did not have a headphone jack. Go figure. I purchased a Schiit Magni 3+. Wow, what I have been missing all these years.
                                                                                  Jay

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 2202

#42
                                                                                    Couldn't resist a good deal on a pair of headphones I've wanted for nearly a decade--Grado GS1000i (not the most recent iteration, but the same one I fell in love with at an extended listening session at a Montreal audio show years ago). Endgame level for me. Looking forward to some downtime during the holidays with them, a stack of fine jazz SACDs, my listening chair, and some fine single malt (I'm thinking the 15-year-old Macallan in my cupboard).

Comment

• Absinthe
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2021
                                                                                      • 48

#43
                                                                                      Sounds like an excellent plan. I would add doing this behind a door that locks

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 2202

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Absinthe
                                                                                        Sounds like an excellent plan. I would add doing this behind a door that locks
                                                                                        :agree:

It doesn't lock, but I feel confident there'll be at least 2 or 3 days during the holidays when I can arrange uninterrupted listening in "the chair".

Comment

• Absinthe
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2021
                                                                                          • 48

#45
                                                                                          Good for you, with the first holiday post pandemic (or nearly so??) I'm sure this holiday our home will be besieged by nieces, nephews, cousins, brothers, sisters and an assortment of friends nonstop. It'll keep my wife happy but I may need some "liquid medication" to soldier through it

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"