X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ski_merlin
    • Apr 2006

New Budget Headphones

Hey guys,

I finally killed my cheap-o Sony full-sized headphones, and I don't think I can deal with another pair of crappy headphones again. I'd play my music through my regular stereo, though living in an apartment with three other people doesn't really allow that often.

I've been looking around for a nicer pair of full-sized (around the ear or on ear) headphones for under $70 (un-amped), and I've come up with a few choices ... let me know what you think:
    1. Grado SR 60 - ($62.10)
    2. Sennheiser HD 212 Pro - ($59.99)
    3. Beyerdynamic DT 231 - ($59.00)

All my prices and research are from HeadPhone.com, so if my prices are a little high, enlighten me with your "insider" places to get these for cheaper, if you would!

Thanks in advance for the help everyone,
    ~J
  • H.T.C
    • Nov 2003

Grados get great reviews but i dont know about that model .

Sennheiser are nice phones also and can be upgraded with cardas wire later.
    Robert

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I wouldn't recommend the HD212 so much. They're a bit too bass heavy. More for hip-hop music. For $70, I'd say Grado SR60. But if you can add $10 more, definitely the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 or Sennheiser HD-555 (ebay). However, if you seriously want the real "headphiles" advice... www4.headfi.org/forums

Just a warning... if you think we here at HTG are bad with speakers and toys, these guys are obsessed over headphones. ha ha But they're all great people.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• tbyrne
        • Jan 2008

I have a pair of $80 wired Sennheiser's (don't know model - 545?) and they are good sounding and very comfortable for my big ears and head.

Comment

• george_k
          • Jan 2004

I own a pair of SR60's and they are a wonderful set of phones.

I think their greatest strength is their midrange reproduction, it's simply fantastic. They are a little shy when it comes to bass though so if your going to be listening to a lot of rap, dance, hiphop etc I'd probably look elsewhere.

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

I'm not a fan of that model of Sennheiser headphones.

The Grado are going to be pretty good at that price range, but I would try to upgrade to the next step or two and do some modifications the the sennheisers. I have a buddy who got the HD555 IIRC. The put a real cable on them, took some of the extra padding out, modified the plate on the outside and they nearly sound as good as my stock HD580s.
            -Joe

Comment

• ski_merlin
              • Apr 2006

Thanks guys,

I ended up ordering a pair of Grado SR80s.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I know I chimed in a little late, but I like the Koss Portapros. I've owned alot of cans and they have provided the best bang for the buck, just make sure you order some extra ear padding. I loaned them to my daughter after I got the Bose in ear headphones as a gift.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"