X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinGN
    • May 2009

Office Headphone Setup

So I've got a bit of an unusual question for everyone with regards to audio outside the home. I work in an office where portable media players and other portable/personal electronic devices are strictly forbidden (and result in *instant* termination if found!), and I work the night shift a couple days a week (6p to 6a). I've been using a cheap Sony DVD Player from home hooked up to one of the Dell Widescreen Monitors here, but it lacks a headphone output and good video quality.

I'm wondering what people would recommend with regards to office audio? Ideally, it would be something cheap enough that, if confiscated by the building (it happens sometimes), I won't mind losing in a financial sense, but also something with good audio for a pair of Sennheiser 555 Headphones or better. I looked at a DAC and Headphone Amp setup from PS Audio, but I couldn't part with $1500 if it was taken away; still, such a setup looks ideal if I can somehow find it for a lot less scratch.

Size is definitely an issue. The DVD player in use now is a slim type, and the monitor barely fits atop it. Something the size of PS Audio's Headphone gear would be ideal, though I wouldn't mind something wider or slightly taller - the big Denon DVD Players are out of the question, however.

A few other bullet points...
    • It cannot have storage capabilities, such as USB or Firewire. It must be standalone.
    • Headphone output is a must, though jack size can be adapted as need be.
    • DVDs are the primary playback media here, though occasional CDs are used. Blu-Ray would be lovely, but is still way too pricey. SACD and DVD-A are also a nice bonus, but hardly required for the office.
    • Analog RCA inputs for any sort of Headphone Amp/Output are a minimum, though DD/DTS decoding would be great too.
    • Ideally, the less spent the better, but I'm looking for a tolerable solution in the $200 range. Any more isn't worth risking the loss of.
    • Again, *no portable sources or devices*. These must be Wall-Powered devices that aren't easily moved or concealed.
    • The fewer devices, the better, but I don't mind using multiple devices if they're all reasonably sized or priced.

Thoughts? Think of this as an audio survival kit for work, as these Dell Speakers give me migraines after hours of Pandora.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Justin. That sounds like an interesting place to work.

Here's one semi-inexpensive recommendation for a headphone amp: the Musical Fidelity V-Can. It comes in below your price point, meets your minimum requirements and sounds good.

If that one doesn't ring any bells, there are several good websites for looking a bit further into headphone amps. MusicDirect (shown in link), and AudioAdvisor come to mind.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

If you are interested, I just listed a headphone amp for sale.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• JustinGN
        • May 2009

You just had to tempt me with the very thing I wanted at a good price, didn't you? =P Depending on my final paycheck and PTO from my previous employer, I may pull the trigger on that amp.

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

hehe
          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"