X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Planar Magnetic Headphones from Oppo?

Surprised on this. For those who are also impressed with Oppo's players. (which, by the way, the latest one, 103, can now also be ordered with a Darblet processor inside)

One of the biggest surprises for me at 2013 CanJam @ RMAF was a product I had no idea would be making a show at the event: the Oppo PM-1 planar magnetic headphone prototype. For those of you not familiar with Oppo, they're best known in the audio world for their high-performance, high-value...

That is an already crowded market (headphones) & highly competitive.
    Their already well established brand recognition may be seen as an advantage for entering such an arena.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 14 October 2013, 07:31 Monday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

That is an already highly crowded & competitive market (headphones).

I suppose they see their well-established brand recognition as advantageous to entering such an arena.
    One would certainly expect high value in anything they offer.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Oh my !!!......That certainly sounds promising!!!. I recently auditioned a series of 'higher' end headphones hoping some of them would out perform my older Grado SR80's but alas.....none of them did. The PSB unit was good but bass heavy. The Denon's were also bass heavy. The KEF's were really good and probably the closest to my Grado set (Good neutral sound...detail and transparency ) ....but not better. If anybody can pull off better, I would bet on this Oppo set. The problem will be the ability to audition them..... Probably not possible, so I would have to order them online.......hearing unheard......that's scary, but very enticing !!. I just might do it though based on their reputation for excellence!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

And now I'm reading that they're also working on an amp/DAC/preamp

Looking for trending t-shirt? Huge collection of Men and Women's, Youth Tshirts. 100% cotton. Available low price offers and discounts.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

In that Head-Fi thread, they've now pointed out Oppo has put things up on their site:

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
            In that Head-Fi thread, they've now pointed out Oppo has put things up on their site:

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM...eadphones.aspx

Fascinating !!
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"