X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

Grado headphones/amp

My Rotel guru suggested to me the Grado amp and headphones... any of you using them?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I have not tried the amp, but I've had two sets of Grado headphones - the SR80 and SR225. The headphones sound very nice, though they are not as comfortable as other brands.

I'm currently using some AKG 501s and plan to build an amp when I get time.
    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'm using my Etymotic audiophile earphones right now. Love 'em. I keep thinking that I'm going to get an amp for them, but never got around to it.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
        I keep thinking that I'm going to get an amp for them, but never got around to it.
        Same here...

I actually A/B'd a pretty good headphone amp against just being plugged into an iPod Nano. There was a difference, but not nearly as much as I expected. It depends on the actual cans though too...
        Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 17:03 Sunday.
        Danish

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

I tried a couple of the Grados (don't remember the models, but they were not the TOTL) and I too was concerned about comfort.

Finally settled on Senn HD-580. I find these very comfortable, not to mention sounding good for reasonable $.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Grados are well regarded as are the Sennheiser's whoaru99 mentioned. I've listened to a couple Senn's (don't recall the models) and thought they sounded quite nice for the money but I don't own any myself.
            Jason

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

Also worthy of a question is the listening environment.

I know the Sennheisers I have are open back and I think the Grados are too. If you are trying to block out some background noise while listening (or to keep your listening more private from others), then you'd probably want a sealed back headphone - similar to the AKG 501 mentioned by dyazdani.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• locomk
                • Dec 2005

I audtioned grado's as well but wound up getting the senn hd-590's. i was considering a head phone amp but it sounds great with my processor already, can't imagine them sounding any better

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                  Also worthy of a question is the listening environment.

I know the Sennheisers I have are open back and I think the Grados are too. If you are trying to block out some background noise while listening (or to keep your listening more private from others), then you'd probably want a sealed back headphone - similar to the AKG 501 mentioned by dyazdani.
                  The 501s are technically open as well... but AKG and Senn both have some sealed varieties.
                  Danish

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by dyazdani
                    The 501s are technically open as well... but AKG and Senn both have some sealed varieties.
                    So they are. Thanks for the correction. ops:

Now I wonder what I was looking at to give me that impression? :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

I should have had listened to the grados when I was in the shop. Well next time..

Comment

• sirbogey
                        • Mar 2006

btw: I had the wireless Sennheiser 130s for a month, but couldn't stand them. The interference was extremely bad. I guess becuase of my wifi in the house...

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by sirbogey
                          btw: I had the wireless Sennheiser 130s for a month, but couldn't stand them. The interference was extremely bad. I guess becuase of my wifi in the house...
                          forget wireless if sound quality is a requirement at all. I have the senheisser 580s myself. Its the best headphone I've owned and thats including Stax electrostatics and high end jeclin float electrostatics as well.

Havent heard the grado headphone amp, but the grado headphones themselves particualrly the top of range ones have a good reputation and track record.
                          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• darknix
                            • Jul 2006

For the price of the Grado headphone amp, you can get some nicer amp out there.
                            But you need to think about how much you want to spend on them first, coz headphones with decent/good sound could range $200-$1000, a decent/good headphone amp could run from $200-$1000 too. Of caurse there are some better stuffs out there which cost more.
                            I'm using a chinese tube amp with a Sennheiser HD595, it's only an entry level rig but it sound really nice already.(maybe I have some wood ears)

Comment

• sirbogey
                              • Mar 2006

listened to Grados RS2 today. Sound nice, but are really not that comfortable to wear.. I'll check Sennheisers next

Comment

• dknightd
                                • Mar 2006

Headphones are alot like speakers, personal preference plays a big part.
                                I never liked the grado sound (I call it grato) but I never listened to
                                anything above the 225's, so maybe I did not give them a fair chance.
                                I'm currently using senheiser hd650. A little bloated in the midbass but
                                very clear and integrated otherwise.
                                Pretty happy with them. But just
                                for fun I just ordered AGK701. I listen to headphones more than I would
                                like so as not disturb my family. Yes all the above phones are open, but
                                still MUCH quieter than speakers would be.

Wether you need a headphone depends alot on what your existing
                                headphone jack is like. Some are good, some not so good.
                                Grado's are low impedance so they like an amp that can deliver
                                current, senns are high impedance so want good fast voltage swings.
                                AGK are somewhere in the middle. A good place to learn more
                                about headphones and amps is headfi - www.headfi.org

Like speaker stereos my experience has been headphones (i.e.
                                speakers) make the biggest difference in sound. Then the amplifier.
                                Last cables. The source plays just as important a role in both.

Comment

• Jnorth1178
                                  • Feb 2006

Don't leave out the AkG's. I did a lot of research and settled on the AkG 701 recently. They ave a superb sound. JBN

Comment

• sirbogey
                                    • Mar 2006

During my stay in Toronto last week, I visited a shop and they had like 20 headphones hooked up to their system. Approx. 5 grados, a dozen sennheisers, 5 AKGs, and some other ones. IMO the Grados were by far the clearest. I couldn't tell much difference between the Sennheisers and AKGs, I'm talking about the more expensive models though. There was a significant difference between the "lower end" Sennheisers, AKGs and their "upper ends." The Grados were all very similar too each other. So, if you get a chance to compare them, take it

Comment

• whoaru99
                                      • Jul 2004

Do you think what seems to be an obvious clarity in the Grado would become fatiguing after a time?

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• dyazdani
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                        Do you think what seems to be an obvious clarity in the Grado would become fatiguing after a time?
                                        I have not found the Grado sound to be fatiguing (I've had Grados and AKG 'phones). I do absolutely find the comfort/fit of the grados to be fatiguing. The AKGs are much better for longer listening sessions.
                                        Danish

Comment

• tonych31
                                          • Sep 2004

I got the Grado SR80 and it sounds fabulous. Can't complain. I have listened to some of Senns headphones which are also nice.

Comment

• kurtholz
                                            • Feb 2005

Antique sound lab tube amp, AKG 701's, to new to enjoy completely, in fact they are running now, fiigure after about a week i'll get down to some serious headphone listening

have some tubes coming, of course i had to buy some rare old ones to tweak the amp

:-)

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"