X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Good headphones?

Since I listen to CDs at work through headphones on a cheap boombox more than I do on my quasi-audiophile grade system at home, I was thinking that I should upgrade my headphones. Does anyone have headphones that sound great (as good as a decent set of speakers) that won't require me to refinance my mortgage? I've heard of Grado and Sennheiser (sp?), was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with some good 'phones.

Oh yeah, they can't be too big/bulky either. I don't want to look like I'm wearing some sort of space suit!

Thanks...KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

The less expensive Grados are a great value for the money, sounding way far better than they deserve to at their price level -- but many people (including me) find them uncomfortable for longer term wear. Sennheiser has a lot of different models available from low priced crap to reasonably-priced great-sounding gear to ultra-high-performance, you've-got-to-be-kidding-me-priced (aka "very expensive") gear.

I went with the Sennheiser HD 570 model for exactly the same use you propose -- listening to CDs at work. I find them comfortable and not too bulky. But they are NOT in-your-ear "buds" which I find especially uncomfortable after a while. They would set you back about $130, and sound like speakers that cost at least ten times that. They have other models at different price points and with different styles and configuratiions (i.e., differing in "bulkiness" and stylishness). http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...r?OpenDocument

I suggest you audition whatever phones you end up finding "not too bulky" and "not too expensive" for at least an hour (simulating uninterupted office listening time) using familiar music and decide whether they really do the job for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Those brands are good, so is Beyer.

If you want world class performance then the Koss ESP950's are astounding. The $600 price of admission may seem steep but IMO they're as good as the Stax that cost $1K+

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"