X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

AM radio help

So I listen to a fair amount of AM radio, especially sports talk in my truck. I like to listen now and then at home, especially when my Texas Tech football games are on. The problem I'm having is I cannot for the life of me get a decent AM signal out of my AVR (Denon 2307CI). I manage to get pretty great FM reception with the included coax wire style antenna, but plugging in the included AM loop antenna, I can barely get anything and even if I do it's not listenable. I have a small Tivoli radio and with its loop antenna in the same room it sounds much much better. Is this just a function of Denon not putting much thought into the AM hardware? Does anyone think a better/amplified antenna would make a difference?
    -Chuck
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

No real experience with your issue, but I do have an idea.

Check out CraigsList for some vintage receivers. The old ones like Kenwood, Marantz, Sansui, Yamaha & Carver, for example, had V good AM receivers. You might find a decent unit for cheap.

You could call Vintage HiFi of Pgh for some advice on what to look for. Keep in mind the shop usually does not open till 4:00 PM.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

That does sound like a good idea, but would probably be a last ditch effort. I'm trying to go with as few components as possible. If I really just wanted what I have to work I could just plug the Tivoli in but I'd like to just use my existing receiver. I'm hoping just a nicer antenna would help and mainly looking for recommendations on one.
      -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

You could always get a piece of wire (speaker) and connect it up to the AM terminals and see what you get with a better wire and just loop it and see... That might be all you need to get a better signal...maybe not...but an option.

My Rotel Radio is awesome, best sound I've heard from radio and it picks up just about everything in range (and it's in the basement next to 2 walls with earth behind them).
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"