X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edwardo
    • Apr 2012

Oppo 95 networking

Hello all,

I have bought an Oppo 95 and unfortunately my knowledge of networking is pretty limited and so I am having problems getting the My Network functioning correctly.

Can anyone here help me ? If so, I will post details of my system set up and what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks very much

Ed
    Auckland,
    New Zealand
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Edwardo
    Hello all,

I have bought an Oppo 95 and unfortunately my knowledge of networking is pretty limited and so I am having problems getting the My Network functioning correctly.

Can anyone here help me ? If so, I will post details of my system set up and what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks very much

Ed
    Auckland,
    New Zealand
    Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum!

I own an Oppo 95 so I might be able to help. What's the problem?

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

As I always say to everyone that buys a new sophisticated piece of electronics.....ALWAYS read the instructions from from front to back before even attempting to operate it!!. Actually, I'm a little anal when it comes to this theory. I actually download the manual before I have even taken possession of the unit so that when it arrives, I am already somewhat of an expert on how to set it up and operate it.

I'm not sure if the BDP-95 is Wi-fi compatable but if it is, the process should be easy and easily explained in the manual.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I've ALWAYS said, if you have to break the book open, its poorly designed. These things should be intuitive. I don't want to spend a week with a book before I can watch a DVD. Actually I'm a little anal about this too :B
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Ah, yes, an age-old argument topic. Personally, I HUGELY appreciate the "Apple" approach, that devices (and programs like iTunes) can and SHOULD be intuitive enough to just work out of the box, no manul requred, for all basic functions. However, being a power user, I have to say that every device and program MUST have a user's manual as well, for advanced functions. There's all sorts of things that an iPhone and iTunes can do, that are not even covered in the help files, and the only way I can figure out how to learn them is to go to internet forums and do searches through posts of other people who have experimented and found power functions. Rather cumbersome, and not fun.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mjb
            I've ALWAYS said, if you have to break the book open, its poorly designed. These things should be intuitive. I don't want to spend a week with a book before I can watch a DVD. Actually I'm a little anal about this too :B

Sorry mjb but......that theory does not fly with me in this day and age. The average piece of Electronic componentry nowadays does so much and is capable of so much that not reading the manual is simply not an option (ie Oppo 95 / PS3). In some cases you could get away with it, but the unit would be far from optimized.

A friend of mine bought the highest end Rotel surround sound receiver a number of years ago and told me that he just wired it up and turned it on and left it like that. I nearly threw up!!! :roll:

$3 worth of equipment and he doesn't read the manual or set it up!!??? Jezzus!!. :roll:
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I'm with madmac here. Sure you'll probably be able to play a disc on your new Blu-ray device without opening the manual but don't expect to get the best out of it without reading the manufacturer's advice on settings.

One day an Oppo player might be able to interrogate all the equipment it is connected to and configure itself to perform optimally but in the meantime you need to get the book out and adjust the settings manually.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"