X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Wireless networking

I need to add a wireless "access point" to my home LAN. I don't want my 2 laptops to be tethered to my 2 desktops by any cables.

Can anyone suggest a brand or model? Reviews I've found on the net are spotty and I don't know enough about networking to buy the first thing I see.

BTW, my access point needs to work with both PC and Apple. I assume that's not an issue with Wi-fi (802.11b) however.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Sili, Thanks to Trevor Schell, I now have a Linksys Wireless Access Point + Cable /DSL Router with 4 port switch :LOL: I just finished seting it up, but have not yet connected another PC via wireless. I set up Trevor's last night but did not get his laptop acessing via Wi-Fi. I't something that I'm just learning.

Trevor has the same router as does Kevin Patz, and so far it seems like a very good product. It has a web base setup screen which is very nice.

I'm assuming the 802.11b standard encompasses both apples and PC, though I'm not 100% sure of it.

Linksys BEFW11S4

Linksys WPC

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I finally decided upon Linksys too. I already have a Dlink Router connected to the DSL modem so I just opted for the Linksys WAP11 WiFi Access Point. Got a Linksys PC card and an Apple Airbook card for the ibook too.

I'm sure I'll be posting set-up questions in a few days.

Thanks,

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Trevor has the same router as does Kevin Patz, and so far it seems like a very good product. It has a web base setup screen which is very nice.
        Actually I have the WAP11 access point, not the router, since I have a Linux box performing router duties, and a 8-port hub already. A DIY network of sorts.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

My Bad

A purist's network

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

For those with the Linksys wireless setup with laptop PC card - how's the range? I find my range to be significantly less than stated in the specs. I get spotty signal in my family room (under 30 feet from the access point), and no signal at all in parts of the front yard (less than 50 feet from the access point). Part of that could be the furnace chimney blocking the signal though. In the back yard I get great signal quality.

Has anyone else had problems with walls, etc. reducing signal quality?

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

I get good reception in every room of the house. I can go about 60 feet into the back yard before I notice any loss in signal. This is using the Linksis WAP 11 access point and the Linksys PC card.

The Apple Airport card in my iBook gets even better results. I could probably sit in my neighbor's living room and browse the web!
              The only reason I can give for the difference in performance is the fact that the iBook has a built-in antenna that plugs into the Airport card.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

I should probably add that I also have one of those Siemens cordless phone systems. It opperates in the same frequencies as the Linksys access point and is constantly active (this is one of those phone systems where the slaves are wirelessly connected to the master unit).

I expected lots of interference but have been surprised to find that a non-issue.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Even though Linksys rates the standard WPC11 to around 1500 feet, it seems the maxmimum range is less than optimal for Kevin... :?

Kevin, mabe you need the extended range model WPC11 V2.5 with a much more powerfull antenna.

Looking at the specs, it seems to have the same range as the standard version, however it must have better noise and interference rejection.

I'm sure you have fiddled with all the available settings in the advanced menu of your Linksys WAP menu (Diversity, left spread, right spread, beacon interval..etc..)?

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

I looked at the pictures on the Linksys site, and I think my WPC11 is the 2.5 version. I'd have to look at it, but it's at home and I'm at work. I do know it has a version number on the label, and I don't think the older one did.

I haven't tried the advanced settings on the WAP11 yet, but I have tried different locations and antenna positions with only slight changes in range.

I wonder if one of my pieces is defective. I'd hate to have to exchange it at Best Buy, after my CD-R in DVD case debacle. I wish I knew which piece it was.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

Did you try chaning channels? Perhaps there is interferrence in (or around) your home??

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Interference, I can't imagine what. The only other wireless device I have is a cordless phone, but it's a 900 MHz model. I don't have any problems using the phone in any location in or around the house--it has a better range than the Linksys. I did try different channels when I first got the thing, it didn't help.

Sometime when time permits (yeah right!) I'll try different antenna/diversity settings and see what happens.

KJP

P.S. My WPC11 is the 2.5 version.

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"