X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radolf
    • May 2009

speaker recommendations

I’m looking for speakers for the kitchen/family room. We already have a pair of B&W 683’s and a HTM61 in the Entertainment room and love them.

I have 7.5”H x 24”W x 12” D space on top of the kitchen cabinets at one end of the room. I’m thinking about the HTM61 B&W’s. How well will a center speaker perform as a Left/Right and if down the road, I decide to repurpose these as uprights, is that viable?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by radolf
    I’m looking for speakers for the kitchen/family room. We already have a pair of B&W 683’s and a HTM61 in the Entertainment room and love them.

I have 7.5”H x 24”W x 12” D space on top of the kitchen cabinets at one end of the room. I’m thinking about the HTM61 B&W’s. How well will a center speaker perform as a Left/Right and if down the road, I decide to repurpose these as uprights, is that viable?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks
    Can the HTM61 be used in an upright position? Yes.

Can you use a center speaker to perform as left/right channel? No. You will have to either use left or right channel, or change from stereo to mono if you don't want to lose any of the music information. I know some receivers can output a mix of left/right channel music to the center channel. But if you're really going to use a receiver, why not just two small bookshelf speakers.

A couple of questions.
    It's just for a kitchen. right? Do you really want a speaker that big and loud? I don't know your goal, but for me, music in the kitchen can be great up to moderately loud, not LOUD. Meaning, any small compact system could work.
    Do you own the place you live in? If yes, have you considered in-wall/in-ceiling speakers?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• radolf
      • May 2009

more on speaker recommendation

You may have misunderstood. What I was proposing was to use two HTM61's (one left and one right). They'll be about 10' apart. The room is large (15x30) and I compared a set of HTM61's two some B&W mini-theaters and liked the fuller sound of the HTM61's.

I consider in ceiling, but there are a lot of lighting fixtures already and I really don't want to clutter it up any more than it already is (plus the attic gets very hot (120+) which can't be good for the speaker elements.

Thanks.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Ah, in that case, the HTM61's would work. I didn't know you meant a pair of HTM61's. Yes, I would agree that any 600 series speaker sounds fuller than a pair of M1's. For the price, you could also get a pair of 686 or 685 and place them on the side.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"