X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Center Imaging + Speaker Placement

Well thought I would share my experience with a new Mark Levinson DAC and placement of my center speakers.

I received my ML 360S Dac and sat down for a good listen. I pick piano classical music as I feel piano shows everything a system can and should do.

Well, the center image was not there like it was with goldmund digin I had before nor like when I put the lexicon 12b in to 2 channel stereo. It was slightly right of center so much so that I had to get out of my seat to make sure the left speaker was on.

I immediately checked all connections, switching digital inputs to test if it was the input, outputs, everything under the sun, but everything pointed towards a DAC with a calibration problem.

The second day of suffering after pulling the good feedback on the guy on bought the DAC from, I experimented with the position of the speakers. I didn't think of this as the image was perfect before why would it change.

well toeing out the right speaker a few inches brought the image right to the center where its supposed to be. Like you have to get up from the couch and check the center speaker isn't on.

The ML 360S probably revealed what lesser DAC's didn't and what the exact position of the speaker needed to be.

So JUST THE SLIGHTEST PLAYING AROUND WITH YOUR SPEAKERS CAN SOMETIMES BRING THE LARGEST IMPROVEMENTS TO A SYSTEM.
    • Nov 2005

HI doggy,
    Your problem and solution just doesn't add up. While the Levinson unit is no doubt better than your old one (I wish I had one), they shouldn't be noticibly different on lateral image placement unless there is a problem.

To troubleshoot, the best way is switch your amp into the mono mode so both speakers receive the same signal and balance your amp to the middle position. Then listen. If everything is right the image will be right in the center with either unit. If not, you need to trace the problem down.

BTW, the toe in is a critical adjustment. Both channels should be the same; exactly. Understand that because the tweeter outputs fall rather drastically when you move off the tweeter center axis, you are changing the shape of the frequency response curve of the speakers. This can be used to advantage to solve certain difficult imaging problems. But generally you want the speakers to be toed in at exactly the same angles relative to your listening position. If you don't have a perfectly centered image, it is due to equipment problems or room reflection/absorbtion issues.

Sparky

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Fotos

Hey Karma,

I took your advice and the sweet spot stayed centered thru putting the preamp to mono. Of Course mono still gets the 2 channels thru the DAC. I tried 2 channel stereo coming from the Processor and made it mono in the preamp and the sound was still centered with the right speaker slightly toed out.

Here is a photo and a plan of the room. You can see its nightmarish positioning but its all I have to play with.

I think its definitely the room acoustics as you can see below. In the end all that matters is the sweet spot sounds right isn't it.

I have bought a 380S ML Preamp and am sending it to ML for conversion to 230V. I will send the DAC along for the ride for a check up all the same.

Attached Files

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I bet your itchin to get rid of everything in that room and turn it into a dedicated room....

Oh come onnnnn, tell me the thought hasnt crossed your mind at least once!
        B&W

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Here's the wiring plan

Attached Files

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

you had me at wow!
            My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
              Man, what a beautiful system. I wish I could hear it. Congratulations.

Sparky

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Hi Doggy

I simply love your system & how you have your amps connected. One word: "Droool" :T

Comment

• D-bucket
                  • Jun 2005

misterdoggy, thanks for posting the wiring schematic of your connections, it gives new meaning to the expression "A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words". Despite the unusual layout of your room, both your stereo and ht systems seems well thought out and seamlessly integrated. It must be a real joy to crank either one up. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"