X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Help w/Front Speaker Set Up

I have a few questions regarding the setup of the front L & R Speakers. Hoping you can help. ?

1st ? - Is there a set standard as to the distance each speaker should be from the TV? I have a Sony 32 inch TV. Currently I have both the Left & Right speaker about 20 inches from each side of the TV. Is this ok? Should they be closer, farther?

2nd ? - Should both speakers (L&R) be on the same plane as the TV? Or should they be a little bit behind or vice versa, a little bit forward of the TV? I do currently have them toed in to face the listening sweet spot.

3rd ? - How much should the speakers be toed in? I originally had them toed in to basically hit me between the eyes. I used a laser pointer to do this.

But I was thinking that because of this - the soundstage is smaller and people sitting on the sides of this sweet spot don't get the full experience of sound. ?

I was thinking of maybe turning them out a little bit and perhaps aiming the Left speaker at my left shoulder, the Right speaker at my right shoulder. This would open up the soundstage a little bit more I would think but still have a sweet spot for the middle of the sofa?

4th ? - Whichever speaker set up is best for a Home Theater application, would it change for Music listening? Or would it be the same?

Thanks in advance for you help and responses!
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

1. What are your room dimensions? A pic, detailed description or drawing would help.

2. Having a deep (crt type) TV it will effect the way your speakers sound if your speakers are behind your TV. Reflection of the sound waves. That is what makes Flat panels a nice option in an HT/2ch setup. It is next to wall and does not interfere with the sound waves coming from the speakers.

3. What is more important to you? 2ch SQ to satisfy your music listening sessions, or HT for the family/friends?

Toe is a matter of trial and error, experiment and go with what sounds best to you. It will effect your 2ch performance more that HT.

Having your speakers away from the wall is usually better, but is dependant on each type of speaker.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mrohde
      • Jan 2007

wkhanna, gave you good advice here. A few additional points:

Make sure that the speakers are at equal distances to the sweet spot. Use a string with one end at the sweet spot stretch it out and swing the string from one speaker to the other . The speakers should be adjusted to be at the same distance (ie same position on the string). This means that your speakers will actually be layed out in an arc. This means that if you had a center channel setting on top of your TV the L&R speakers would be forward of the TV face. Again the three speakers would be on an arc maintaining equal distance to the sweet spot.

I had my HT room layed out by a professional and the ideal speaker angles are between 22-30 degress off the TV center line. This will vary with speaker types and TV size.

Hope this helps good luck.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

1. It depends on your listening location distance to your front speakers. I think it's a recommended 30" sweep from one main to another, measured from your primary location.

2. I'd say the more important thing is putting your speakers at optimum distances from the front wall, side wall, and listening location for speaker performance. Next, adjust display location for video performance and minimize interaction with audio.

3. Yeah, the adjustments you describe will improve audio performance a bit for those sitting just to your left and right. Realize, though, that you're not "widening" the sweet spot, you're just moving it back BEHIND you primary location. If you truly want to widen the sweet spot, try the new equipment in the top-end Denon receivers and Audyssey EQ product that uses computer algorithms for psychoacoustics.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Thanks for all the responses. I will try the things suggested so far and post pictures also.

Thanks!
          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"