X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philipjg
    • Mar 2008

Marantz SR 8300

Hello, Would anyone have any info on the SR 8300. Had a 5300, good unit. Then upgraded to a 7300ose for better sound ,definatly more clarity but to my ears it lacks somewhat in the low end, I am not a purest just want a very good sounding receiver with good bottom end.
    Has anyone owned a 8300 ? Have read it is similar to the 8400 but can't find many reviews for either.
    Thanks,
    Philip.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Phillip

I have a 7300 OSE. It currently does HT duty only as a have a separate 2 channel system (see my profile - I use the CJ to power my front two speakers for HT applications).

The 7300 OSE is so close to the 8300 that I would not consider that as a solution. I can suggest 3 options you might like to consider.

1. a power amp for your front 2 speakers, or even a three channel amp. If your speakers need current like mine do this will help significantly.

2. Just for fun I took one of the aftermarket power cords off my main system and used it on the 7300. The improvement was certainly there in the bass, it was tighter and stronger, but the performance of the whole amp improved. The cords that I am using are expensive due to the brand and they are not the cheapest model, but the lesser cords I tried did not have the same impact. Power cords are still controversial so you need to try them for yourself, just like my next suggestion.

3. interconnects and speaker cables. Not something we can really discuss hear (best to talk direct to the site owner) but the right ones can give you more bass and all round improvements. On a "source first" basis I would look at power cords first to see if you need them (very system dependant), then try the other cables. If you gear is not sounding at its best it will do no good trying to improve the signal coming out of it - garbage in garbage out.

The results that you get with these options can be substantial but it is very system dependant - you need to try your options at home though a home demo. I think you will be surprised just how good a receiver the Marantz is.

Have fun !
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• philipjg
      • Mar 2008

Thankyou for your advise, Philip.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"