X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prozakk
    • Jul 2004

Puny 2 wire amp cords.

I own 2 Harman Kardon Signature amps...a 2.1 & a 1.5.

They both have puny ungrounded power cords. The 2.1, which has the most current draw, has the smaller cord (beyond my understanding as to why).

I know for sure I am going to install bigger cords. Should I just replace the 2 wire cords, or add a sheilded 3 wire cord & ground it to the chassis? If the later, can someone provide some links with pics as how to (PROPERLY) do so?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They're probably what's called a double grounded cord. Those don't have a 3 prong plugs.

If there's room and you know what you're doing, just remove the existing cord and install a standard IEC outlet. Then get a cord you like.

I don't know of any step-by-step instructions for installing an IEC outlet because the details will be somewhat specific to each piece of gear.

Note must be careful not to get metal shavings into the chassis. That can toast the circuit boards.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Prozakk
      • Jul 2004

There isn't an IEC connector at the amp. The wire runs through a grommet.

I've put bigger power cords on car amps, but it's the grounding of the chassis on the home stuff that I have the question about.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm aware of that. You'll have to drill out the hole for a larger cord and clamp, so it's not much more work to use an IEC outlet.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Prozakk

I've put bigger power cords on car amps, but it's the grounding of the chassis on the home stuff that I have the question about.
          If the chassis needed grounding the manufacturer would likely have installed a 3-wire cord, if that is your only concern. Years ago I replaced the 16 gauge two wire power cord on a 330 watt per channel Nikko amp I owned with a 3-wire 14 gauge cord and connected the ground conductor to the chassis. This change made no difference to the performance of the amp.

Comment

• Prozakk
            • Jul 2004

I'll just upgrade to larger 2 wire then.

Should I even bother with sheilded wire?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I use shielded for everything

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"